New wheelset and stuff.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Loki, May 23, 2003.

  1. Loki

    Loki New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003
    Okay, looking for a new wheelset, pedals and helmet. (Don't ask what happened to the previous stuff.)

    Thinking about Mavix D321 rims with black DT 14g spokes, laced to deore disc hubs. Oh, and Hayes 6" rotors. My previous setup came stock with my Raceline Comp - Mavic X223's, Shimano M-475 hubs. Rear rim trued twice in 6 weeks.

    Unfortunately, I doubt I will be able to afford the D321 rims, so any other recommendations? I do a lot of urban assault, so big drops, but I also like XC riding so weight is a factor.

    Possibilities:

    Mavic D321
    Mavic D521

    Now onto tyres. I have a pair of semi-slicks and find it annoying when getting up on high kerbs and the like only to have my rear tyre slip and lurch to a halt. (Don't lecture me about proper bunnyhopping please :) )
    Sooo I'm looking for a good all-round tyre that wont be out of place on gravelly XC tracks.

    Possibilities:

    Hutchison Alliigator 2.1 rear, 2.1 front
    IRC Mythos 2.1/2.1
    Hutchison Airlites

    Also looking for new pedals. Don't do clipless, so looking for good platforms. (last pedals were platform surround VP-133's, which were just annoying)

    Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. "Loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Okay, looking for a new wheelset, pedals and helmet. (Don't ask what happened to the
    > previous stuff.)
    >
    > Thinking about Mavix D321 rims with black DT 14g spokes, laced to deore disc hubs. Oh, and Hayes
    > 6" rotors. My previous setup

    Shimano disc hubs are heavier than most bikes.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. Loki

    Loki New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003
    Nice...observation. Any suggestions?

    Looks like I'm going with:

    Pair Mavic F519 (32H) - $195
    64 DT black 14g spokes - ~$50
    Shimano Deore Cassette 9spd - $91
    Shimano LX Disc Hub set - ~$118
    Pair Hayes 6" rotors - ~$65ea
    Pair DMR V8 Platform pedals - $64ea

    (All prices in Australian Dollars)

  4. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...

    > Shimano disc hubs are heavier than most bikes.

    Yeah, I was thinking that if I went from the Deore Disc rear to a Hügi or King, I could drop
    probably twenty pounds off the bike.

    Hügis or Kings are about 200g lighter (per hub) than (non XTR) Shimano hubs. Someday I will build a
    chi chi wheelset and (600$ later) drop my bike by a whole pound! Then again, I am a guy who passed
    up the lightwieght forks for a Fox.

    -Dave