New wheelset for 7sp cassette

joshie2b

Jul 28, 2003
I have a Bridgestone RB-T touring bike and I need to buy a new wheelset. I am looking at buying Mavic T519s and have read good things about them. I am trying to avoid custom built wheels because of the expense.

Trouble is, I have a 7sp cassette on there -- shimano hyperglide. I've got a shimano deore derailler, and bar end shifters.

Built wheelsets seem now only to come built for 8/9sp cassettes. Any trouble with putting my 7sp cassette on there? Is the spacing going to be the same, or are the 8 sp cassettes wider? Could I buy a new 8sp cassette and will my existing components work on it?

Any or all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh

This is info that i heard off someone else and i've just bitten the bullet and acted on it. I'll let you know the results for definite when my new wheels turn up next week. But for now, here goes...

Pretty much all new free body hubs will only take 8 or 9 speed cassettes - so you may as well keep your 7sp on your existing wheel and use it as a spare.

Good news is that the spacing between the cogs on 7 and 8 speed cassettes is the same - so your existing components will be OK so long as you put an 8 speed cassette on the new wheel.

I don't know what bar end shifters are, but if they're not indexed, you might be able to select all 8 of the gears by adjusting the travel of the rear draillieur

Rich

Originally posted by joshie2b
I have a Bridgestone RB-T touring bike and I need to buy a new wheelset. I am looking at buying Mavic T519s and have read good things about them. I am trying to avoid custom built wheels because of the expense.

Trouble is, I have a 7sp cassette on there -- shimano hyperglide. I've got a shimano deore derailler, and bar end shifters.

Built wheelsets seem now only to come built for 8/9sp cassettes. Any trouble with putting my 7sp cassette on there? Is the spacing going to be the same, or are the 8 sp cassettes wider? Could I buy a new 8sp cassette and will my existing components work on it?

Thanks!

Josh

Where are you located. Nashbar currently has a couple of 7 speed cassette compatable wheels on sale.

It works!!!

Just get a wheel with an 8 speed cassette and all will be fine. You'll even be able to upgrade to 9 speed without changing your wheels at a later date.

I have indexed gear levers, so i have to miss either the top or bottom gear, but it's no big deal.

Rich

Originally posted by joshie2b

Thanks!

Josh

Originally posted by richdyer_2000
It works!!!

Just get a wheel with an 8 speed cassette and all will be fine. You'll even be able to upgrade to 9 speed without changing your wheels at a later date.

I have indexed gear levers, so i have to miss either the top or bottom gear, but it's no big deal.

Rich

Be careful. 7-speed cassette is probably 126mm spacing between rear dropouts, while 9-speed is certainly 130mm. If you have a steel frame, it can be cold-set (ie. bent) to accomodate the bigger spacing, but aluminum cannot. Do you have to physically spread the dropouts to get your new wheel on?