New Wheelset - What to get?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tk, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Tk

    Tk Guest

    I've heard alot of good things about American Classics 420s. Any opinions? I'm 6' 180-185 # and have
    REV-Xs currently. I'm looking for a good racing wheelset that I can train with also. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    Consider a set of Velocity Aerohead rims, 32 holes rear and 28 front. Use butted spokes, either
    14/15 or 15/16.

    Train with nice heavy tires, the $10-15 ones that are 700x25-28, and inflate them to 100 lbs. Race
    with light tires and tubes.

    You won't like how the training tires look and you'll have to push a little harder to sprint but
    it's the best way to realize the value of light wheels.

    On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 23:17:10 GMT, "TK" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've heard alot of good things about American Classics 420s. Any opinions? I'm 6' 180-185 # and
    >have REV-Xs currently. I'm looking for a good racing wheelset that I can train with also. Thanks.

  3. aeklaw-<< I've heard alot of good things about American Classics 420s. Any opinions? I'm 6' 180-185
    # and have REV-Xs currently. I'm looking for a good racing wheelset that I can train with also.

    I would and always do, recommend finding a good local wheelbuulder and have them design a wheelset
    specifically for you and your needs...This one would be cheaper, perform the same(or better-the AC
    wheeslet is a 'little' light for you, IMO, particularly if you are gonna use it everyday), will use
    easy to obtain parts and it would cost much less...

  4. In a dream world why not consider the Zipp 303's? The tubular will save about 1 lb of weight between
    the two wheels. I'll bet that they'd climb a hill on their own <G>. In my real world, I'm riding
    Mavic ceramic open pros, double butted spokes and record hubs.

    Lanny "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > aeklaw-<< I've heard alot of good things about American Classics 420s.
    Any
    > opinions? I'm 6' 180-185 # and have REV-Xs currently. I'm looking for a good racing wheelset that
    > I can train with also.
    >
    > I would and always do, recommend finding a good local wheelbuulder and
    have
    > them design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs...This one
    would be
    > cheaper, perform the same(or better-the AC wheeslet is a 'little' light
    for
    > you, IMO, particularly if you are gonna use it everyday), will use easy to obtain parts and it
    > would cost much less...

  5. Todd Flom

    Todd Flom Guest

    "TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've heard alot of good things about American Classics 420s. Any opinions? I'm 6' 180-185 # and
    > have REV-Xs currently. I'm looking for a good racing wheelset that I can train with also. Thanks.

    I have had good luck with my Velomax Circuit Comps. I have hit and survived holes that damaged my
    well-built Ultegra/3x/Open Pros. They are only 1650 grams/pair, fairly aerodynamic and can be
    purchased for $330 to $450.

    TF

  6. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    There's a Todd Flom?

    JF

  7. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Todd Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I have had good luck with my Velomax Circuit Comps. I have hit and survived holes that damaged my
    > well-built Ultegra/3x/Open Pros.

    I would think you would have learned where those holes are by now. ;-)

    Andy Coggan

  8. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    Best for training is a power-tap wheel. Best for racing is an aero wheel.

    Get the Bontrager Aero power-tap: train in it and race it, too!

    http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=120&pt=10

    A lot like a Rolf Vector Pro ... only with POWER!!!!