New Windsor Wellington at bikesdirect.com, yes or no?

jesse0081

Aug 1, 2006
I came across this bike for $299. I was wondering if this bike would be ok for someone like me. I don't intend to race or anything like that, but I've been using my mountain bike on the road, and I'm just looking for something that will treat me a little better on the pavement. On the other hand, I don't want it to fall apart in a year, either. So what do you think?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington1.htm

Well, personally speaking, I'd wait and save for a better bike. It's 90% assembled and you're more than likely going to have to take it to a bike shop for the final assembly which is pricy. I don't see why that bike would be worth $700.

You can pick up a trek 1000, which are awesome now for that price new. If you look on eBay you can get a barely used late model for $400 or so. My dad has a trek pilot 1.0 and it is a bit more but, it has a better position for casual riders. With the carbon forks and the bontrager accessories that come on both you'll be happier. This might make a good first bike for someone, but it's only good for a bit. I hated my quill stem on my first bike.

Hi Jessie,

Make sure you get a bike that is the correct size for you, it will make riding much more pleasurable. Have a look thru the forums, theres lots of advice about suitable bikes for females. Males have different body shape and therefor boys bikes are usually the wrong dimensions for girls. Many of the leading brands have bikes marked WSB (Womans Specific Bike).

On the bike you were looking at, the location of the gear leavers is not good, if you stand up while going up a hill, you can bump the leavers with your knees, accidently changing gears and possibly falling off. If you can afford a little more, go with OoAmericanGirls advice and get a better bike, with the gear leavers built into the brake leavers, but make sure that the bike size is good for you.

I just purchased the Windsor Leeds and have had it for a week. I was in the same situation that you are in, in that I was just looking for the most bang for the buck. I initially considered the Wellington 1.0, but after some reading here and talking with a very good friend who's been in road racing for years I decided to spend the extra $50 and get the Sora gear on the Leeds model. This bike is perfect for what I need, exercizing. I assembled the bike myself and with the help of my friend have been making the appropriate adjustments. For the money and my purpose it was a good choice. I did however see a Fuji Newest 4.0 at a LBS for $399+tax after ordering the Windsor Leeds, but again I had to consider my willingness to fork out an additional $50 versus my purpose of use.

My other interest is astronomy and it's no difference when purchasing that type of equipment. There's very high end, expensive stuff. There's good quality not very expensive stuff. Then there's the cheap low quality stuff. On astronomy related internet forum the same types of discussion like this shows up constantly and the experienced amateurs usually gives the same type of advice - try before you buy or wait and save your pennies to buy x product. While this works for some it does and may never fit the bill for others.

BTW, this is my first post to this forum.

I just order a Windsor Falkirk from Bikes Direct. It should arrive next week. I just wanted to post this phone number for bikes direct in case you ever need it. They called me and left this phone number which worked. Call Dave at 904-252-8881.

jesse0081 said:
I came across this bike for $299. I was wondering if this bike would be ok for someone like me. I don't intend to race or anything like that, but I've been using my mountain bike on the road, and I'm just looking for something that will treat me a little better on the pavement. On the other hand, I don't want it to fall apart in a year, either. So what do you think?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington1.htm

Hello how are you. I see the welligton 2.0 review on youtube and is got me very interesting. How is ride your bike. Also on youtube i see one road bike motobecane mirage slx what is your opinion about that bikes

How is ride your bike. Where can i see that leeds model i look at bikes direct site i cant found that model. I see only the wellington windsor