Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

New XTR Chainring Noise

Started by Ohonelimited · · Last activity · 5 posts · 678 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
12 May 2003
Last activity
13 May 2003
Original author
Ohonelimited
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
678
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm currently running full '03 XTR and am experiencing an irritating drivetrain/chainring noise. At
    first I thought it was just the chain (SRAM PC99) slightly rubbing on the front derailluer because
    thats what it sounds like. I checked the derailluer and the chain isn't rubbing at all. I've removed
    the chain to see if it's the crank, and it isn't. The crank spins nice and quietly. I took it to a
    bike shop and they thought it might be the SRAM chain was a smidge too wide and was rubbing on the
    insides of the next larger chainring. So, we put a DuraAce chain on and voilla (I thought), the
    noise went away, only to come back as soon as the chain dries out. When the chain is nice and lubed
    there is no noise. I use FinishLine Dry. So, I then took it to bike shop #2, and they could offer no
    help other than to say maybe it's a wax build-up when the lube dries which is causing the chain to
    ride above the chainring teeth until enough tension is created during the pedal stroke and causes
    the chain to to seat fully into the chainring teeth causing this slight ticking/rubbing noise. It's
    possible I guess. Anyway, anyone else using new XTR experiencing anything similar?? If not, what
    kind of lube are you using?? Any suggestions are appreciated.

  2. It sounds like the clues are pointing you in the direction of a lubrication issue. For off-road use,
    I don't think FinishLine Dry is a very good choice, it's just too thin and doesn't leave a whole lot
    on the chain. Plus, as has been pointed out in other threads, "dry" lubes don't migrate back into
    the areas they're needed after they've worn off from use.

    You might try a heavier lube, perhaps one of the Rock N'Roll varieties that some of my off-road
    staff are nuts about. Or FinishLine Cross Country. Or even plain 30 weight motor oil, and clean it
    on a regular basis.

    One last thing- I've never been a fan of SRAM chains for front shifting. We "fix" a lot of bikes
    with front shifting problems by switching to a Shimano, and the HG53 is inexpensive enough it's not
    a price issue. Only real advantage (and it's a good one) to the SRAM is the use of the master link
    to take the chain apart, instead of having to replace the pin each time on the Shimano.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

    "OhOneLimited" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm currently running full '03 XTR and am experiencing an irritating drivetrain/chainring noise.
    At first I thought it was just the chain (SRAM PC99) slightly rubbing on the front derailluer
    because thats what it sounds like. I checked the derailluer and the chain isn't rubbing at all.
    I've removed the chain to see if it's the crank, and it isn't. The crank spins nice and quietly. I
    took it to a bike shop and they thought it might be the SRAM chain was a smidge too wide and was
    rubbing on the insides of the next larger chainring. So, we put a DuraAce chain on and voilla (I
    thought), the noise went away, only to come back as soon as the chain dries out. When the chain is
    nice and lubed there is no noise. I use FinishLine Dry. So, I then took it to bike shop #2, and
    they could offer no help other than to say maybe it's a wax build-up when the lube dries which is
    causing the chain to ride above the chainring teeth until enough tension is created during the
    pedal stroke and causes the chain to to seat fully into the chainring teeth causing this slight
    ticking/rubbing noise. It's possible I guess. Anyway, anyone else using new XTR experiencing
    anything similar?? If not, what kind of lube are you using?? Any suggestions are appreciated.

  3. One more nice thing about SRAM chains - no breaking. I've personally broken one shimano chain, and
    that was when I weighed 120lbs or under (I'm like 135 now), and all but one of the chains I've seen
    break (out of 8 or so) have been Shimano.

    Jon Bond

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It sounds like the clues are pointing you in the direction of a


    lubrication

    Quoted message said:

    issue. For off-road use, I don't think FinishLine Dry is a very good choice, it's just too thin
    and doesn't leave a whole lot on the chain. Plus, as has been pointed out in other threads, "dry"
    lubes don't migrate back into the areas they're needed after they've worn off from use.

    You might try a heavier lube, perhaps one of the Rock N'Roll varieties


    that

    Quoted message said:

    some of my off-road staff are nuts about. Or FinishLine Cross Country.


    Or

    Quoted message said:

    even plain 30 weight motor oil, and clean it on a regular basis.

    One last thing- I've never been a fan of SRAM chains for front shifting.


    We

    Quoted message said:

    "fix" a lot of bikes with front shifting problems by switching to a


    Shimano,

    Quoted message said:

    and the HG53 is inexpensive enough it's not a price issue. Only real advantage (and it's a good
    one) to the SRAM is the use of the master link


    to

    Quoted message said:

    take the chain apart, instead of having to replace the pin each time on


    the

    Quoted message said:

    Shimano.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

    "OhOneLimited" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm currently running full '03 XTR and am experiencing an irritating drivetrain/chainring noise.
    At first I thought it was just the chain (SRAM PC99) slightly rubbing on the front derailluer
    because thats what it sounds like. I checked the derailluer and the chain isn't rubbing at all.
    I've removed the chain to see if it's the crank, and it isn't. The crank spins nice and quietly.
    I took it to a bike shop and they thought it might be the SRAM chain was a smidge too wide and
    was rubbing on the insides of the next larger chainring. So, we put a DuraAce chain on and
    voilla (I thought), the noise went away, only to come back as soon as the chain dries out. When
    the chain is nice and lubed there is no noise. I use FinishLine Dry. So, I then took it to bike
    shop #2, and they could offer no help other than to say maybe it's a wax build-up when the lube
    dries which is causing the chain to ride above the chainring teeth until enough tension is
    created during the pedal stroke and causes the chain to to seat fully into the chainring teeth
    causing this slight ticking/rubbing noise. It's possible I guess. Anyway, anyone else using new
    XTR experiencing anything similar?? If not, what kind of lube are you using?? Any suggestions
    are appreciated.

  4. Quoted message said:

    One more nice thing about SRAM chains - no breaking. I've personally


    broken

    Quoted message said:

    one shimano chain, and that was when I weighed 120lbs or under (I'm like


    135

    Quoted message said:

    now), and all but one of the chains I've seen break (out of 8 or so) have been Shimano.

    I don't think Shimano chains are any more likely to fail than SRAM; my guess is that there are more
    Shimano chains out there and that most broken ones may be due to less-than-perfect installation at
    the factory (we've seen this happen).

    --Mike-- Chan Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com

    "Jon Bond" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:mMQva.858191$S_4.877188@rwcrnsc53...

    Quoted message said:

    One more nice thing about SRAM chains - no breaking. I've personally


    broken

    Quoted message said:

    one shimano chain, and that was when I weighed 120lbs or under (I'm like


    135

    Quoted message said:

    now), and all but one of the chains I've seen break (out of 8 or so) have been Shimano.

    Jon Bond

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It sounds like the clues are pointing you in the direction of a


    lubrication

    Quoted message said:

    issue. For off-road use, I don't think FinishLine Dry is a very good choice, it's just too thin
    and doesn't leave a whole lot on the chain. Plus, as has been pointed out in other threads,
    "dry" lubes don't


    migrate

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    back into the areas they're needed after they've worn off from use.

    You might try a heavier lube, perhaps one of the Rock N'Roll varieties


    that

    Quoted message said:

    some of my off-road staff are nuts about. Or FinishLine Cross Country.


    Or

    Quoted message said:

    even plain 30 weight motor oil, and clean it on a regular basis.

    One last thing- I've never been a fan of SRAM chains for front shifting.


    We

    Quoted message said:

    "fix" a lot of bikes with front shifting problems by switching to a


    Shimano,

    Quoted message said:

    and the HG53 is inexpensive enough it's not a price issue. Only real advantage (and it's a good
    one) to the SRAM is the use of the master


    link

    Quoted message said:

    to

    Quoted message said:

    take the chain apart, instead of having to replace the pin each time on


    the

    Quoted message said:

    Shimano.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

    "OhOneLimited" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm currently running full '03 XTR and am experiencing an irritating drivetrain/chainring
    noise. At first I thought it was just the chain (SRAM PC99) slightly rubbing on the front
    derailluer because thats what it sounds like. I checked the derailluer and the chain isn't
    rubbing at all. I've removed the chain to see if it's the crank, and it isn't. The crank spins
    nice and quietly. I took it to a bike shop and they thought it might be the SRAM chain was a
    smidge too wide and was rubbing on the insides of the next larger chainring. So, we put a
    DuraAce chain on and voilla (I thought), the noise went away, only to come back as soon as the
    chain dries out. When the chain is nice and lubed there is no noise. I use FinishLine Dry. So,
    I then took it to bike shop #2, and they could offer no help other than to say maybe it's a
    wax build-up when the lube dries which is causing the chain to ride above the chainring teeth
    until enough tension is created during the pedal stroke and causes the chain to to seat fully
    into the chainring teeth causing this slight ticking/rubbing noise. It's possible I guess.
    Anyway, anyone else using new XTR experiencing anything similar?? If not, what kind of lube
    are you using?? Any suggestions are appreciated.



  5. I like to keep chain clean and lubed currently running a wipperman that HATES dry lubes even 30W
    DELO, its a tight chain but it seems the little rollers are extra loose making a irratating
    squeaking noise when things dry out any. Solution was 140 wt gear lube, applied carefully along the
    rollers then wipped dry with solvent, I can got a whole 25-40 miles in super dusty fast single track
    and have fun then its back to the chain gang... cleaning, lubing, riding =)

    Tauras kcbx.netsurfreport

    "OhOneLimited" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm currently running full '03 XTR and am experiencing an irritating drivetrain/chainring noise.
    At first I thought it was just the chain (SRAM PC99) slightly rubbing on the front derailluer
    because thats what it sounds like. I checked the derailluer and the chain isn't rubbing at all.
    I've removed the chain to see if it's the crank, and it isn't. The crank spins nice and quietly. I
    took it to a bike shop and they thought it might be the SRAM chain was a smidge too wide and was
    rubbing on the insides of the next larger chainring. So, we put a DuraAce chain on and voilla (I
    thought), the noise went away, only to come back as soon as the chain dries out. When the chain is
    nice and lubed there is no noise. I use FinishLine Dry. So, I then took it to bike shop #2, and
    they could offer no help other than to say maybe it's a wax build-up when the lube dries which is
    causing the chain to ride above the chainring teeth until enough tension is created during the
    pedal stroke and causes the chain to to seat fully into the chainring teeth causing this slight
    ticking/rubbing noise. It's possible I guess. Anyway, anyone else using new XTR experiencing
    anything similar?? If not, what kind of lube are you using?? Any suggestions are appreciated.

    -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- newsfeeds.comnewsfeeds.com - The #1
    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.