New XTR Chainring Noise

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ohonelimited, May 12, 2003.

  1. Ohonelimited

    Ohonelimited Guest

    I'm currently running full '03 XTR and am experiencing an irritating drivetrain/chainring noise. At
    first I thought it was just the chain (SRAM PC99) slightly rubbing on the front derailluer because
    thats what it sounds like. I checked the derailluer and the chain isn't rubbing at all. I've removed
    the chain to see if it's the crank, and it isn't. The crank spins nice and quietly. I took it to a
    bike shop and they thought it might be the SRAM chain was a smidge too wide and was rubbing on the
    insides of the next larger chainring. So, we put a DuraAce chain on and voilla (I thought), the
    noise went away, only to come back as soon as the chain dries out. When the chain is nice and lubed
    there is no noise. I use FinishLine Dry. So, I then took it to bike shop #2, and they could offer no
    help other than to say maybe it's a wax build-up when the lube dries which is causing the chain to
    ride above the chainring teeth until enough tension is created during the pedal stroke and causes
    the chain to to seat fully into the chainring teeth causing this slight ticking/rubbing noise. It's
    possible I guess. Anyway, anyone else using new XTR experiencing anything similar?? If not, what
    kind of lube are you using?? Any suggestions are appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. It sounds like the clues are pointing you in the direction of a lubrication issue. For off-road use,
    I don't think FinishLine Dry is a very good choice, it's just too thin and doesn't leave a whole lot
    on the chain. Plus, as has been pointed out in other threads, "dry" lubes don't migrate back into
    the areas they're needed after they've worn off from use.

    You might try a heavier lube, perhaps one of the Rock N'Roll varieties that some of my off-road
    staff are nuts about. Or FinishLine Cross Country. Or even plain 30 weight motor oil, and clean it
    on a regular basis.

    One last thing- I've never been a fan of SRAM chains for front shifting. We "fix" a lot of bikes
    with front shifting problems by switching to a Shimano, and the HG53 is inexpensive enough it's not
    a price issue. Only real advantage (and it's a good one) to the SRAM is the use of the master link
    to take the chain apart, instead of having to replace the pin each time on the Shimano.

    "OhOneLimited" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm currently running full '03 XTR and am experiencing an irritating drivetrain/chainring noise.
    > At first I thought it was just the chain (SRAM PC99) slightly rubbing on the front derailluer
    > because thats what it sounds like. I checked the derailluer and the chain isn't rubbing at all.
    > I've removed the chain to see if it's the crank, and it isn't. The crank spins nice and quietly. I
    > took it to a bike shop and they thought it might be the SRAM chain was a smidge too wide and was
    > rubbing on the insides of the next larger chainring. So, we put a DuraAce chain on and voilla (I
    > thought), the noise went away, only to come back as soon as the chain dries out. When the chain is
    > nice and lubed there is no noise. I use FinishLine Dry. So, I then took it to bike shop #2, and
    > they could offer no help other than to say maybe it's a wax build-up when the lube dries which is
    > causing the chain to ride above the chainring teeth until enough tension is created during the
    > pedal stroke and causes the chain to to seat fully into the chainring teeth causing this slight
    > ticking/rubbing noise. It's possible I guess. Anyway, anyone else using new XTR experiencing
    > anything similar?? If not, what kind of lube are you using?? Any suggestions are appreciated.

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    One more nice thing about SRAM chains - no breaking. I've personally broken one shimano chain, and
    that was when I weighed 120lbs or under (I'm like 135 now), and all but one of the chains I've seen
    break (out of 8 or so) have been Shimano.

    Jon Bond

    > It sounds like the clues are pointing you in the direction of a
    lubrication
    > issue. For off-road use, I don't think FinishLine Dry is a very good choice, it's just too thin
    > and doesn't leave a whole lot on the chain. Plus, as has been pointed out in other threads, "dry"
    > lubes don't migrate back into the areas they're needed after they've worn off from use.
    >
    > You might try a heavier lube, perhaps one of the Rock N'Roll varieties
    that
    > some of my off-road staff are nuts about. Or FinishLine Cross Country.
    Or
    > even plain 30 weight motor oil, and clean it on a regular basis.
    >
    > One last thing- I've never been a fan of SRAM chains for front shifting.
    We
    > "fix" a lot of bikes with front shifting problems by switching to a
    Shimano,
    > and the HG53 is inexpensive enough it's not a price issue. Only real advantage (and it's a good
    > one) to the SRAM is the use of the master link
    > take the chain apart, instead of having to replace the pin each time on
    the
    > Shimano.

    > "OhOneLimited" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm currently running full '03 XTR and am experiencing an irritating drivetrain/chainring noise.
    > > At first I thought it was just the chain (SRAM PC99) slightly rubbing on the front derailluer
    > > because thats what it sounds like. I checked the derailluer and the chain isn't rubbing at all.
    > > I've removed the chain to see if it's the crank, and it isn't. The crank spins nice and quietly.
    > > I took it to a bike shop and they thought it might be the SRAM chain was a smidge too wide and
    > > was rubbing on the insides of the next larger chainring. So, we put a DuraAce chain on and
    > > voilla (I thought), the noise went away, only to come back as soon as the chain dries out. When
    > > the chain is nice and lubed there is no noise. I use FinishLine Dry. So, I then took it to bike
    > > shop #2, and they could offer no help other than to say maybe it's a wax build-up when the lube
    > > dries which is causing the chain to ride above the chainring teeth until enough tension is
    > > created during the pedal stroke and causes the chain to to seat fully into the chainring teeth
    > > causing this slight ticking/rubbing noise. It's possible I guess. Anyway, anyone else using new
    > > XTR experiencing anything similar?? If not, what kind of lube are you using?? Any suggestions
    > > are appreciated.

  4. > One more nice thing about SRAM chains - no breaking. I've personally
    broken
    > one shimano chain, and that was when I weighed 120lbs or under (I'm like
    135
    > now), and all but one of the chains I've seen break (out of 8 or so) have been Shimano.

    I don't think Shimano chains are any more likely to fail than SRAM; my guess is that there are more
    Shimano chains out there and that most broken ones may be due to less-than-perfect installation at
    the factory (we've seen this happen).

    --Mike-- Chan Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > > > smidge too wide and was rubbing on the insides of the next larger chainring. So, we put a
    > > > DuraAce chain on and voilla (I thought), the noise went away, only to come back as soon as the
    > > > chain dries out. When the chain is nice and lubed there is no noise. I use FinishLine Dry. So,
    > > > I then took it to bike shop #2, and they could offer no help other than to say maybe it's a
    > > > wax build-up when the lube dries which is causing the chain to ride above the chainring teeth
    > > > until enough tension is created during the pedal stroke and causes the chain to to seat fully
    > > > into the chainring teeth causing this slight ticking/rubbing noise. It's possible I guess.
    > > > Anyway, anyone else using new XTR experiencing anything similar?? If not, what kind of lube
    > > > are you using?? Any suggestions are appreciated.

  5. Tauras

    Tauras Guest

    I like to keep chain clean and lubed currently running a wipperman that HATES dry lubes even 30W
    DELO, its a tight chain but it seems the little rollers are extra loose making a irratating
    squeaking noise when things dry out any. Solution was 140 wt gear lube, applied carefully along the
    rollers then wipped dry with solvent, I can got a whole 25-40 miles in super dusty fast single track
    and have fun then its back to the chain gang... cleaning, lubing, riding =)

    Tauras http://www.kcbx.net/~tsulaiti/surfreport/