New XTR Shifter/Brake

"miles todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Of course, the drawback is that spring tension alone gets you into a lower gear. If the system is
> mucked up enough with mud, ice, or other adverse elements you simply won't be able to drop into a
> lower gear at all- you can't use thumb strength to force the issue. Again, I would rather be able
> to get a lower gear in these situations more often than I would a higher gear.
>
> Miles

Never had an issue with rapid rise mucking up. (and I've ridden through some serious WV muck). I run
them on all my bikes. No problems.

Mike

> [...]
> some time ago and the new one isn't traveled that much. There was one set of tracks, hiking
> tracks, no bikes have made there way yet.
>
> There was still a good 4 to 5 inches of fresh snow. It didn't look too bad. I was wrong, by the
> time I got through the cross cut from Morning Choice to the Ridge Trail I was sweating and
> breathing pretty damn hard. I'm glad I knew the trail 'cause it was very hard to see the small 6
> to 8 inch diameter logs that crisscross cross the trail. They kind of just look like small humps
> in the snow. As long as you lift the front and hop the back up they present no real problem, you
> just have to know they're there.
>
> It WAS completely quiet, not a sound of another biker or squirrel rustling the now covered dry
> leaves....until the Avids start howling. At first it was just a little squeak then it progressed
> to a full blown wail. This happened once before after crossing some icy streams during a very
> frigid ride. Nothing I could do but easy off for a while....More on that later.
>
> I took the Ridge Trail up to the Rockburn Branch loop. This trail had been a ridden and hiked on
> and was well packed. It's a great loop to ride if you just want to relax a bit. By this time I was
> actually burning up I had to take off the glove and ride bare handed. Next time I'll bring my
> lighter pair along as well as my cold weather gloves. As long as I stayed upright it shouldn't be
> a problem...and I did, and it wasn't.
>
> On the way back out on the Morning Choice trail I come upon two fellow bikers. They obviously
> heard me coming and decided to let me pass. I needed a rest so I stopped and chatted a bit. One
> was having problem with his Times he couldn't seem to get clipped in. The other was just flat out
> tired. He said something about the trail being unridable. What? You must be kidding. "Y'all have a
> good ride" I took the SS up and out with minor problems. I looked back about 10 minutes later and
> they were nowhere to be seen.
>
> All in all it was one of my best rides. Normally this route will take me just about an hour to
> complete. This time it took me 2 hours. It was one of the best workouts I've had in a long time.
>
> On the way home my fronts were still wailing. I began to wonder if it's just because of the
> moisture and coldness. I live near the bottom of a fairly large hill, so on the way down I'm
> riding the front brakes just enough to make a slight squeal, as the squeal goes away I give a
> little more pressure. I'm still picking up speed as the brakes heat up/dry out. Finally I can't
> apply full pressure with no annoying squeal. It was as if I re-seated the pads or just dried them
> out. To see if they'd squeal after they cooled I took another lap to the top of the street after
> about 5 minutes to see what would happen....No squeal....very interesting.
>
> BTW the brakes felt a LOT smoother after I heated them up.

Nice RR. I'm surprised I didn't run into you out there. My buddy and I did that same loop and there
was only one set of tracks on the ridge trail, I'm assuming they were yours. It took us about 4
hours to do a 2 hour loop and we were totally wasted by the time we got finished. I could barely
muster the strength to bring a beer to my mouth. Ride on.

Alex

Jan Sacharuk wrote:

> Probably. However, I'd generally maintain that XTR is for people with too much money, a
> sponsorship contract, or a lot of time on their hands. I'd never put an XTR part on my VPS, and
> any racer would only have the XTR stuff in adverse conditions for the span of one race. As of yet,
> I haven't heard of any of them complaining that it mucks up too easily.
>
> Nah, for us normal folk, XT is the way to go. It's durable, not too expensive, and not too heavy.
> I'd go so far as to say that if I bought a bike with XTR stuff and I planned it for normal
> trailriding, I'd take it off and replace it with XT.
>
> JS

I think you're over reacting a bit. Most of the XTR components work pretty well. I'll agree they are
expensive, and arguably not worth the added expensive over XT. However I run XTR cranks and BB on
two bikes, and an XTR rear deraileur on one bike. I've also had XTR shifters, brake levers, and hubs
on older bikes. It's not fragile at all and is not only be used in one race.

Eric Lafferty wrote:
> Jan Sacharuk wrote:
>

>>Probably. However, I'd generally maintain that XTR is for people with too much money, a
>>sponsorship contract, or a lot of time on their hands. I'd never put an XTR part on my VPS, and
>>any racer would only have the XTR stuff in adverse conditions for the span of one race. As of yet,
>>I haven't heard of any of them complaining that it mucks up too easily.
>>
>>Nah, for us normal folk, XT is the way to go. It's durable, not too expensive, and not too heavy.
>>I'd go so far as to say that if I bought a bike with XTR stuff and I planned it for normal
>>trailriding, I'd take it off and replace it with XT.
>>
>>JS
>>

> I think you're over reacting a bit. Most of the XTR components work pretty well. I'll agree they
> are expensive, and arguably not worth the added expensive over XT. However I run XTR cranks and BB
> on two bikes, and an XTR rear deraileur on one bike. I've also had XTR shifters, brake levers, and
> hubs on older bikes. It's not fragile at all and is not only be used in one race.

I found the rapid fire XTR shifters to be a noticable improvement (for
me) over the XT. The XTR cassette wasn't worth the difference in price -- it did last longer, but
not in even close proportion to the difference in price.

David

In article <[email protected]>, Eric Lafferty wrote:

> I think you're over reacting a bit. Most of the XTR components work pretty well. I'll agree they
> are expensive, and arguably not worth the added expensive over XT. However I run XTR cranks and BB
> on two bikes, and an XTR rear deraileur on one bike. I've also had XTR shifters, brake levers, and
> hubs on older bikes. It's not fragile at all and is not only be used in one race.

Not really. I could buy a lot of parts for what I can sell XTR parts for. There's no good reason for
me to be running XTR on any of my bikes.

JS

--
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code