New XTR Shifter/Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Si

Anyone tried the new XTR shifter/brake thingy? It just sounds wrong trying to rotate the lever
up/down while pulling it in to brake at the same time...

Si

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:49:40 +1300, "Si" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone tried the new XTR shifter/brake thingy? It just sounds wrong trying to rotate the lever
>up/down while pulling it in to brake at the same time...
>
>Si
>

heh, heeeh, HYPE!

Nope haven't tried it but I must say it sounds stupid. I can see that the integration of
shifter/levers saves a little time on a road bike but that's a whole other world....of hype.

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

Si wrote:

> Anyone tried the new XTR shifter/brake thingy? It just sounds wrong trying to rotate the lever
> up/down while pulling it in to brake at the same time...
>
> Si

I've not personally used them, but a buddy of mine that I ride with regularly has had them since
November. He's not had any issues with them, and says that he has never accidentally shifted while
braking. He loves them. From what I've heard from others, they're a nice setup.

"Si" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:H0j%[email protected]...
> Anyone tried the new XTR shifter/brake thingy? It just sounds wrong trying to rotate the lever
> up/down while pulling it in to brake at the same
time...

Why would you try to shift while braking?

-John Morgan
--
To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:g%k%[email protected]...
> "Si" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:H0j%[email protected]...
> > Anyone tried the new XTR shifter/brake thingy? It just sounds wrong
trying
> > to rotate the lever up/down while pulling it in to brake at the same
> time...
>
> Why would you try to shift while braking?

I do that often on two of my local rides. Generally it's a fairly steep downhill section followed
immediately by a steep climb; I shift rear into granny (turning crank slowly) as I'm braking during
the descent. (The other place I do it is a very sharp downward turn followed by a brief up; if I
don't shift into an easier gear I don't make it out because I have to slow almost to a stop.)

Bill "less common to shift DOWN while braking, I suppose, but not unheard of, either" S.

"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 13:49:40 +1300, "Si" <[email protected]> wrote:
|
| >Anyone tried the new XTR shifter/brake thingy? It just sounds wrong
trying
| >to rotate the lever up/down while pulling it in to brake at the same
time...
| >
| >Si
| >
|
| heh, heeeh, HYPE!
|
| Nope haven't tried it but I must say it sounds stupid. I can see that the integration of
| shifter/levers saves a little time on a road bike but that's a whole other world....of hype.

IMHO, STI shifters have been the best innovation for Road Bikes since Tulio Campagnolo invented the
quick release skewer. I remain, however, dubious about this for a mountain bike. Now, granted,
consider that I'm a bit of a shifter retro-grouch and still use classic XT Thumbies.

---
__o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.449 / Virus Database: 251 -
Release Date: 1/27/2003

"Si" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<H0j%[email protected]>...
> up/down while pulling it in to brake at the same time...
>
> Si

I'm riding on one with the new xtr shifters at the moment and all I can say is that everything works
out fine. Needs a couple of rides to get used to but once get used to you can still shift and brake
at the same time no problem. I was quite skeptical before I tried as well.

Now if I can work out why Specialized put the new xtr shifters in their Enduro pro but an old XTR
rear deraileur at the back????

flyingcowbells wrote:
> "Si" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<H0j%[email protected]>...
>
>>Anyone tried the new XTR shifter/brake thingy? It just sounds wrong trying to rotate the lever
>>up/down while pulling it in to brake at the same time...
>>
>>Si
>
>
> I'm riding on one with the new xtr shifters at the moment and all I can say is that everything
> works out fine. Needs a couple of rides to get used to but once get used to you can still shift
> and brake at the same time no problem. I was quite skeptical before I tried as well.
>
> Now if I can work out why Specialized put the new xtr shifters in their Enduro pro but an old XTR
> rear deraileur at the back????

the rear derailleur only comes rapidrise (spring action pulls onto higher cogs), they put on a
normal sprung (pulls to smaller cogs) version. A lot of people despise rapidrise...

Jon "C" Bond

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> the rear derailleur only comes rapidrise (spring action pulls onto higher cogs), they put on a
> normal sprung (pulls to smaller cogs) version.

> A lot of people despise rapidrise...

...and I don't know why. I really like it. Since you're going to have to retrain yourself to shift
with the new levers anyway you won't even notice it's 'backwards'.

Mike

Michael Dart wrote:
> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>the rear derailleur only comes rapidrise (spring action pulls onto higher cogs), they put on a
>>normal sprung (pulls to smaller cogs) version.
>
>
>>A lot of people despise rapidrise...
>
>
> ...and I don't know why. I really like it. Since you're going to have to retrain yourself to shift
> with the new levers anyway you won't even notice it's 'backwards'.
>
> Mike
>

Thats what I didn't understand. Only thing I can think of is that it makes taking off the rear wheel
easier if you happen to break the rear mech cable too?

Jon "" Bond

Jonathan Bond wrote:

>
>
> Michael Dart wrote:
>
>> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> the rear derailleur only comes rapidrise (spring action pulls onto higher cogs), they put on a
>>> normal sprung (pulls to smaller cogs) version.
>>
>>
>>
>>> A lot of people despise rapidrise...
>>
>>
>>
>> ...and I don't know why. I really like it. Since you're going to have to retrain yourself to
>> shift with the new levers anyway you won't even notice it's 'backwards'.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>
> Thats what I didn't understand. Only thing I can think of is that it makes taking off the rear
> wheel easier if you happen to break the rear mech cable too?
>
> Jon "" Bond
>
>
How often are you faced with an unexpected steep climb and need to drop a lot of gears in a hurry?
More often than you would ever need to shift into a much bigger gear instantly, I'd bet. I'd rather
ratchet one gear at a time into higher gears and be able to dump three or four gears lower with one
shift than the other way around... but maybe that's just me.

Miles

"flyingcowbells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Si" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<H0j%[email protected]>...
> > Anyone tried the new XTR shifter/brake thingy? It just sounds wrong
trying
> > to rotate the lever up/down while pulling it in to brake at the same
time...
> >
> > Si
>
> I'm riding on one with the new xtr shifters at the moment and all I can say is that everything
> works out fine. Needs a couple of rides to get used to but once get used to you can still shift
> and brake at the same time no problem. I was quite skeptical before I tried as well.
>
> Now if I can work out why Specialized put the new xtr shifters in their Enduro pro but an old XTR
> rear deraileur at the back????

It seams that is just a question of preference, would you like to move shifter shorter and
easier way to get your derailleur move chain to bigger or smaller cog. My friend drives rapid
rise, I don't.

I have my new bike coming and I am thinking to put an XTR shifter/brake sets on it. It looks
convenient to be able on technical single tracks to balance your riding with breaks and to have your
gear shifting in the same hand reach.

What I am worried a bit is how far you have to push the lever down to make a change. On the video as
well as flash animation on XTR web site it looks pretty much. I am not a big guy and I have small
hands, I suspect that I could have some trouble to get the proper set up since in this case your
shifter position is determined by proper brake lever position.

I would appreciate you opinion about it, as well as anybody else's who has new XTR set.

D'amir

miles todd wrote:

>
> How often are you faced with an unexpected steep climb and need to drop a lot of gears in a hurry?
> More often than you would ever need to shift into a much bigger gear instantly, I'd bet. I'd
> rather ratchet one gear at a time into higher gears and be able to dump three or four gears lower
> with one shift than the other way around... but maybe that's just me.
>
> Miles

It's all about choice. I prefer shifting with a standard rear deraileur. I have a riding buddy
that is passionate that Rapid Rise is the way to go. Luckily on this one Shimano gives us a choice
(for now).

Eric Lafferty wrote:
> miles todd wrote:
>
>
>>How often are you faced with an unexpected steep climb and need to drop a lot of gears in a hurry?
>>More often than you would ever need to shift into a much bigger gear instantly, I'd bet. I'd
>>rather ratchet one gear at a time into higher gears and be able to dump three or four gears lower
>>with one shift than the other way around... but maybe that's just me.
>>
>>Miles
>
>
> It's all about choice. I prefer shifting with a standard rear deraileur. I have a riding buddy
> that is passionate that Rapid Rise is the way to go. Luckily on this one Shimano gives us a choice
> (for now).
>

I'll use a 20 year old Suntour derailer with an old road downtube shifter glued to my top tube
before I'll switch to Rapid Rise. If Shimano ever went to Rapid Rise across their lines from Deore
to XTR it would finally make me switch to Gripshit.

Greg

--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,
just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

> I'll use a 20 year old Suntour derailer with an old road downtube shifter glued to my top tube
> before I'll switch to Rapid Rise. If Shimano ever went to Rapid Rise across their lines from Deore
> to XTR it would finally make me switch to Gripshit.
>
> Greg

You will be assimilated.

-John X.0rgan
--
To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

> What I am worried a bit is how far you have to push the lever down to make a change. On the video
> as well as flash animation on XTR web site it looks pretty much. I am not a big guy and I have
> small hands, I suspect that I could have some trouble to get the proper set up since in this case
> your shifter position is determined by proper brake lever position.

My hands are not big either, but if that's your doubt. You'd probably need to test it out yourself.
I test rode it in the bike shop and i spent most of the time during the ride mucking around with the
new XTR shifters and making sure 100% that it suits me.

"flyingcowbells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > What I am worried a bit is how far you have to push the lever down to
make a
> > change. On the video as well as flash animation on XTR web site it looks pretty much. I am not a
> > big guy and I have small hands, I suspect that I could have some trouble to get the proper set
> > up since in this case your shifter position is determined by proper brake lever position.
>
> My hands are not big either, but if that's your doubt. You'd probably need to test it out
> yourself. I test rode it in the bike shop and i spent most of the time during the ride mucking
> around with the new XTR shifters and making sure 100% that it suits me.

I agree, even I will don't have opportunity to test ride it offroad, I will have to make that
decision in the shop.

Thanks, and enjoy them, a lot.

D'amir

In article <[email protected]>, miles todd wrote:

> How often are you faced with an unexpected steep climb and need to drop a lot of gears in a hurry?
> More often than you would ever need to shift into a much bigger gear instantly, I'd bet. I'd
> rather ratchet one gear at a time into higher gears and be able to dump three or four gears lower
> with one shift than the other way around... but maybe that's just me.

From what I've been able to determine, rapid rise is more about being intelligent about using the
spring tension. When you shift into an easier gear, you have to fight the resistance of the
derailleur to do it with a normal setup. With rapid-rise, the spring releases tension when you're
trying to get into a climbing gear. I don't know if this is going to be better from a chain
tension/breakage perspective, but it might be. Ever since I first heard of the system, I thought it
was clever, but since I don't have the money for XTR parts, it's always been moot, too.

JS

--
======================== [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code
header to see my Geek Code
----------------------------------------------------------------
...I am bound upon a wheel of fire, that mine own tears do scald like molten lead. - Lear, King Lear
Act IV, scene vii lines 52-54

Jan Sacharuk wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, miles todd wrote:
>
>
>
>>How often are you faced with an unexpected steep climb and need to drop a lot of gears in a hurry?
>>More often than you would ever need to shift into a much bigger gear instantly, I'd bet. I'd
>>rather ratchet one gear at a time into higher gears and be able to dump three or four gears lower
>>with one shift than the other way around... but maybe that's just me.
>>
>>
>
>From what I've been able to determine, rapid rise is more about being intelligent about using the
>spring tension. When you shift into an easier gear, you have to fight the resistance of the
>derailleur to do it with a normal setup. With rapid-rise, the spring releases tension when you're
>trying to get into a climbing gear. I don't know if this is going to be better from a chain
>tension/breakage perspective, but it might be. Ever since I first heard of the system, I thought it
>was clever, but since I don't have the money for XTR parts, it's always been moot, too.
>
>JS
>
>
>
Of course, the drawback is that spring tension alone gets you into a lower gear. If the system is
mucked up enough with mud, ice, or other adverse elements you simply won't be able to drop into a
lower gear at all- you can't use thumb strength to force the issue. Again, I would rather be able to
get a lower gear in these situations more often than I would a higher gear.

Miles

In article <[email protected]>, miles todd wrote:
> Of course, the drawback is that spring tension alone gets you into a lower gear. If the system is
> mucked up enough with mud, ice, or other adverse elements you simply won't be able to drop into a
> lower gear at all- you can't use thumb strength to force the issue. Again, I would rather be able
> to get a lower gear in these situations more often than I would a higher gear.

Probably. However, I'd generally maintain that XTR is for people with too much money, a sponsorship
contract, or a lot of time on their hands. I'd never put an XTR part on my VPS, and any racer would
only have the XTR stuff in adverse conditions for the span of one race. As of yet, I haven't heard
of any of them complaining that it mucks up too easily.

Nah, for us normal folk, XT is the way to go. It's durable, not too expensive, and not too heavy.
I'd go so far as to say that if I bought a bike with XTR stuff and I planned it for normal
trailriding, I'd take it off and replace it with XT.

JS

--
======================== [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code
header to see my Geek Code
----------------------------------------------------------------
"If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected abstract virtual base pure
virtual private destructor and when was the last time you needed one?" --Tom Cargin (C++ Journal,
Fall 1990)

Status
Not open for further replies.