New Years Day BR?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Who's up for that?

    I suggest a real_gentle_one

    FD

    Tags:

  2. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    At this stage yes

  3. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Who's up for that?
    >
    > I suggest a real_gentle_one

    Not for me, might try and head out for one on Monday.

    DaveB

  4. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Sorry, I gota notherie on the cards. Arthur's Seat-n-back.

  5. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "flyingdutch" wrote in message ...

    > Who's up for that?
    >
    > I suggest a real_gentle_one

    Gentle?... bah!! I'm scoping out the alternate Kangaroo Ground route first
    thing tomorrow morning.. I'll BR Sunday (if dry), then out to Kinglake
    Monday if anyone wants to tag along..

    cheers,
    GPL

  6. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Hmm, find nearby cafe. Have a strong macchiato or hair of the dog. Go for gentle bog lap of the surrounding environs. Finish at same cafe. 10 mins later. More hair of the dog. More macchiato.

  7. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    ditto

    to all (@ "mel.bicycle" and others at CF ) HAVE A safe nite-knight-nighty-nightly- one and all...and a healthy, prosperous and fun 2006....

    may the wind find you ridingfree, the sun shine on you softly and the hills be scared into submission..............ride on ; drink Goat ; eat chips

    roo :D

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Just (k)nicked this from Kitty Brown (sure she wouldn't mind at all!)

    Wishing you all

    an improvement on

    whatever hit you,

    missed you,

    or pissed you in '05

  9. blah

    blah Guest

    I'm up for a Sunday BR (as with you, if dry(ish)). Dutch, aren't you
    starting a bit early with the "I'm taking it easy" smokescreen? Usually
    we don't try that on until at least after the ride starts...

  10. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    'A good house is built on strong foundations'

    just layin' the ground work for a very ordinary performance.
    Work, BBQs, Beer, little riding, More Beer, BBQs, Heat, More Beer, and this feckin cold/cough thing has seen me spiral form-wise

    I am faily handy with a bottle-lid at 20 paces tho :D

  11. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    "rooman" wrote ...

    > to all (@ "mel.bicycle" and others at CF ) HAVE A safe
    > nite-knight-nighty-nightly- one and all...and a healthy, prosperous and
    > fun 2006....

    Happy New Year to the rest of you lot who still think this is aus.bicycle. ;) Have a great night and try stay well enough to get a
    ride in tomorrow.

    Parbs - off for beer, BBQ & bangers

  12. blah

    blah Guest

    Lookee here:

    Forecast for Melbourne Issued at 1625 on Saturday the 31st of December
    2005

    Tonight and Sunday
    An oppressive night with the risk of a shower or thunderstorm. Becoming
    cloudy
    tomorrow with some rain developing and the chance of a thunderstorm.
    Moderate to
    fresh northerly wind shifting cooler gusty southwest to southerly late
    Sunday
    morning.

    Min 27 Max 32

    Minimum 27... northerly shifting southerly means a headwind both
    ways... Oh well. Ordinary performance it is - looking forward to it.

  13. A5Hi5M

    A5Hi5M Guest

    "blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Lookee here:
    >
    > Forecast for Melbourne Issued at 1625 on Saturday the 31st of December
    > 2005
    >
    > Tonight and Sunday
    > An oppressive night with the risk of a shower or thunderstorm. Becoming
    > cloudy
    > tomorrow with some rain developing and the chance of a thunderstorm.
    > Moderate to
    > fresh northerly wind shifting cooler gusty southwest to southerly late
    > Sunday
    > morning.
    >
    > Min 27 Max 32
    >
    > Minimum 27... northerly shifting southerly means a headwind both
    > ways... Oh well. Ordinary performance it is - looking forward to it.

    More than likely I'll be there to wallow in mediocrity

    Ash

  14. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-12-31, A5Hi5M (aka Bruce)

    > "blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Lookee here:
    >>
    >> Forecast for Melbourne Issued at 1625 on Saturday the 31st of December
    >> 2005

    >> Minimum 27... northerly shifting southerly means a headwind both
    >> ways... Oh well. Ordinary performance it is - looking forward to it.
    >>

    > More than likely I'll be there to wallow in mediocrity

    I won't. It's 4:00am now.

    Is beer. Is good.

    --
    TimC
    There's only one way to better your memory. Everytime you forget

  15. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "GPLama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "flyingdutch" wrote in message ...
    > >
    > > Who's up for that?
    > >
    > > I suggest a real_gentle_one
    > >

    > Gentle?... bah!! I'm scoping out the alternate Kangaroo Ground route

    first
    > thing tomorrow morning.. I'll BR Sunday (if dry), then out to Kinglake
    > Monday if anyone wants to tag along..
    >

    > cheers,
    > GPL

    GP,

    where you leaving from and what time on Monday???? I have't ridden out to
    Kinglake yet and I have been off the bike for the last week and a half so
    I'm keen for a ride.

    Gags

  16. blah

    blah Guest

    Ordinary performance indeed... hope you've a good excuse. Three out
    today: Ess, Ash and I sweated up a storm at the start point waiting for
    at least Duch and GPL to no avail. My luxurious six hours sleep made me
    easily the most rested rider there but I felt pretty good anyhoo,
    despite the hot night and too much drink (early turn-in helped).
    Decided to test out the legs after a couple of weeks working hard on
    the cardio - felt decidedly dodgy after the first few bits of the KG
    climb, made worse by the couple of trickles left in the water bottle at
    the start, but went for it anyway. The mantra was 'control, control' as
    we went up and I maintained a good pace on the rolling bits and saved
    the effort for the real climby bits. Cracked on the last steep bit, but
    then I always do; got a PB by ten seconds to get a 13.34 - took me a
    while of DaveB style gasping and wheezing to tell Ess and Ash that,
    though.
    Took the short way to the coffee stop - they have air-con - yay. Spent
    a while debating whether you can make love to an air conditioner. Very
    nice.
    Time trial was a pretty relaxed affair as we decided that it would be a
    neutralised section - no GPL along to violate the rules meant that it
    was pretty civilised.
    Just at the servo at Diamond Creek we heard a psssshhhhhttttt! and Ash
    and I looked hurriedly at our own tyres then each others - Ess'
    expression and braking told us it was his. One of the many broken
    bottles (what a great way to celebrate the NY) had got him - inch long
    cut in the fairly new Conti GP4000 on the rear. Bummer. Discussed the
    'old currency wrapped around the tube trick' for a little while and got
    started then a rider who'd been out and had just bought the paper and
    brekkie stuff pulled over and asked if all was well - saw the tyre and
    said he lived around the corner and would be back with a spare tyre and
    track pump! Five or ten later there he was in a car with the goods and
    got Ess back on the road. Well done, that man!
    Just kind of pootled along until leaving Ash at the top of Burgundy and
    along Bell to home.
    About 92km @ 28.1kph.
    Oh yeh, we did have a headwind for most of it - wind shifted at about
    the coffee stop. Didn't matter as noone was going very hard for most of
    it.

  17. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "blah" wrote in message ...
    > Ordinary performance indeed... hope you've a good excuse. Three out
    > today: Ess, Ash and I sweated up a storm at the start point waiting for
    > at least Duch and GPL to no avail.

    Apologies to all... I've only just come good after two days off the bike and
    I didn't want to take the Kangaroo Ground 'blah' crown from blah :)

    I slept in.. then did a solo Tour de Burbs circuit this morning... windy and
    hot.. I'll post a new thread drumming up support for a Kinglake ride
    tomorrow..

    That Conti slashing sounds like a bastard Ess! I've got a little one in my
    rear GP4000 from a glass shard, hopefully it doesn't get any bigger..

    cheers,
    GPL

  18. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Now that's my kind of riding :)

    Unfortunately all the cafes around our way are shut.

  19. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Far out, that is gold! There are few things nicer in life than being in the right place at the right time to help someone out, being the recipient of such help comes pretty close!

  20. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    yeah that bloke was an absolute lifesaver, hats off to him. I doubt the $5 note would have done the trick on this occassion...as blah pointed out we needed a $50 :)

    The tyre had about 3500k's on it.

    Just looking at PBK, and their out of stock for the GP4000's in black grrrr. Has anyone in Melb got a new black one lying around? When my order eventually comes in I'll pay you back.