New Year's Eve

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Amberle3, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Amberle3

    Amberle3 Guest

    Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New Year's
    Eve, and what the norm for your area is.

    Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm is.
    Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go out to the
    big organized parties and bars.

    We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some snacks
    ready for later.

    I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20. I'm
    not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the chips to
    go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out all the
    sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and chocolates.

    I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how much
    wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I was too
    busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait that DF picked
    up for me.

    So what did everyone else do?

    Amberle3
    --
    Amberle3
    249/219/215-minigoal/150?

    - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge:
    http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge:
    http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

    Tags:

  2. Sandra S

    Sandra S Guest

    I went to a friends place and we brought the kids. It was fun! Some light snacks, played some
    board games.

    I live in Winnipeg too.......small world!

    Sandra S

    "Amberle3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New Year's
    > Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    >
    > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm is.
    > Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go out to
    > the big organized parties and bars.
    >
    > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > snacks ready for later.
    >
    > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > chocolates.
    >
    > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait that
    > DF picked up for me.
    >
    > So what did everyone else do?
    >
    > Amberle3
    > --
    > Amberle3
    > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    >
    > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

  3. Frood

    Frood Guest

    I have 5 kids, ages 12 to 3, so we don't go out, or have people over. But, we did have a party! We
    had crackers with spray cheese (a much-beloved delicacy here), candy and cookies, and sparkling
    cider. At 9 pm EST (which is midnight in Rio de Janerio), we went out to the front porch to ring in
    the new year with noisemakers!

    We let our oldest stay up, and put the other kids to bed. She got to stay up to midnight, and we
    watched movies until 11:45, then turned on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve. We had champagne (
    she had a sip, too) and raspberries and toasted at midnight.

    We went to a neighborhood party on NY day, so now the kids think our life is just party, party,
    party! They want to know when the next one is!

    --
    Wendy http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm De-Fang email address to reply "Amberle3"
    > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New Year's
    > Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    >
    > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm is.
    > Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go out to
    > the big organized parties and bars.
    >
    > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > snacks ready for later.
    >
    > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > chocolates.
    >
    > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait that
    > DF picked up for me.
    >
    > So what did everyone else do?
    >
    > Amberle3
    > --
    > Amberle3
    > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    >
    > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

  4. Julieb

    Julieb Guest

    In Sydney (Australia), it's pretty much traditional to watch things being blown up (fireworks that
    is). In a city of 6 million there were about 2 million packed in around the harbour. Anyone who
    lives in a place with harbour views will almost be guaranteed of having instant friends :) If you
    can't get to the harbour, it seems that there are many suburbs who have their own displays.

    From our house we have a good view to the west of the city (unfortunately not the harbour!), and we
    see lots of little fireworks in the far distance going off almost constantly between 9 and midnight.
    It's rather odd to see these small flashes of light without the smell or noise.

    As for me, well, I was in bed by 10:30. This was mainly because the DBF is in India for work at the
    moment, and I just couldn't be bothered finding other people to celebrate with. He did call me at
    midnight my time though, which was nice :) Normally we'd have people over, or celebrate it quietly
    together. I am a sucker for fireworks though, so one year we're going to have to fork out some cash
    to get a good spot for the big display.

    --
    Julie.
    93.5/72.7/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

    "Amberle3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New Year's
    > Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    >
    > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm is.
    > Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go out to
    > the big organized parties and bars.
    >
    > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > snacks ready for later.
    >
    > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > chocolates.
    >
    > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait that
    > DF picked up for me.
    >
    > So what did everyone else do?
    >
    > Amberle3
    > --
    > Amberle3
    > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    >
    > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

  5. My NYE consisted of way too many calories from alcohol. Someone needs to leave the nutritional
    labels of those bottles!

    I'm new to this group and I'm realizing that I can't do this alone. I've enrolled in a few diet
    groups and enlisted the help of some of my close friends. I think this time may be the turning point
    in my life. I'm tired of saying 'I'll do it tomorrow'.

    I'm doing it right now.

    Amberle3 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New Year's
    > Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    >
    > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm is.
    > Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go out to
    > the big organized parties and bars.
    >
    > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > snacks ready for later.
    >
    > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > chocolates.
    >
    > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait that
    > DF picked up for me.
    >
    > So what did everyone else do?
    >
    > Amberle3
    > --
    > Amberle3
    > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    >
    > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

  6. Usually my husband and I host a New Year's Party at our house for family and friends. This year we
    stayed at home, had my parents over for dinner, played games, then watched the countdown at midnight
    at the Space Needle--no big party. We were invited to an adult only party but it would have been the
    first time in 13 years we weren't with our kids at midnight so we stayed in. Next year we will go
    back to having our big party!!!

    --
    Janice
    263/252/150 (maybe 130)

    "Amberle3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New Year's
    > Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    >
    > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm is.
    > Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go out to
    > the big organized parties and bars.
    >
    > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > snacks ready for later.
    >
    > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > chocolates.
    >
    > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait that
    > DF picked up for me.
    >
    > So what did everyone else do?
    >
    > Amberle3
    > --
    > Amberle3
    > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    >
    > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

  7. Erin Marsh

    Erin Marsh Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:54:29 GMT, Amberle3 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New Year's
    >Eve, and what the norm for your area is.

    The norm for NZ is parties on the beach. My town has a carnival at the bay every summer and it's
    packed on New Years Eve. The carnival runs until about 2am and there are fireworks at midnight.

    Hubby and I stayed home this year, with videos. I ended up in bed with a migraine shortly before
    midnight while my 2 year old son screamed the house down. Happy new year to me ;-p
    --
    Erin in NZ
    125/90/75 kgs

    RafL goal 180.6lbs (82 kilos)

    "It is not the mountain we conquer, it is ourselves" Sir Edmund Hilary

  8. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Norm? As I've aged, I've realized there is no *norm* for New Years Eve - people do what they are
    comfortable with and what they can afford. Those younger tend to go out, my age group seems to
    settle in. Not so sure if it's really age related, more intelligence <grin> or that us older folks
    have already partied ourselves out. LOL

    That said ... my 19 year old went into Chicago to spend the evening, an organized party at an
    improv place - then spent the night at a hotel in the city so as to not be on the road with the
    rest of the drunks (my rules). The 16 year old spent the evening at a friends home, small private
    party with the teens and again, spent the night. 29 year old had dinner at home and some friends in
    to celebrate the

    marathon and listened to the neighbor kids whoop it up. I've NYE'd myself out over the years, now
    have the attitude that *it's just another day*.

    Joyce

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:54:29 GMT, Amberle3 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New Year's
    >Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    >
    >Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm is.
    >Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go out to
    >the big organized parties and bars.
    >
    >We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    >potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some snacks
    >ready for later.
    >
    >I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20. I'm
    >not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the chips to
    >go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out all the
    >sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and chocolates.
    >
    >I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    >much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I was
    >too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait that DF
    >picked up for me.
    >
    >So what did everyone else do?
    >
    >Amberle3

  9. DH and I used to go out or have people over. One year, can't even remember
    which one, we were both ill, he had bought a bottle of something for us to
    share at midnight, we fell asleep early and didn't wake up until way into
    the next day, we never even opened the bottle, it was our best year to date,
    so now we stay at home alone with each other and do as little as possible
    and no midnight drink either, every year just gets better with him, Lee
    Amberle3 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New Year's
    > Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    >
    > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm is.
    > Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go out to
    > the big organized parties and bars.
    >
    > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > snacks ready for later.
    >
    > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > chocolates.
    >
    > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait that
    > DF picked up for me.
    >
    > So what did everyone else do?
    >
    > Amberle3
    > --
    > Amberle3
    > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    >
    > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

  10. Mette

    Mette Guest

    In Denmark people celebrate New years in so many different ways. Most people young and old throw or
    go to private parties. Mainly because it is just more fun and it is impossible to catch a cab if you
    want to leave a worn down half-empty danceclub at 4 am.

    This year was my first NY at home. We were two people - my BF and I - our first NY together. I
    wanted it to seem like a special evening so I decorated the place, made a three course meal and we
    were both dressed up - it was soo nice. We went to visit his mom who lives 5 min. from my place and
    she and I shared a bottle of baileys between us and then we went home, opened a bottle of champagne
    at midnight, sang to the traditonal old Danish songs being played on the TV (it is a tradition in DK
    -the broadcast the clock chimes at midnight and right afterwards they broadcast a girl's choir who
    sing three songs) - moving...LOL - then we went to the porch and watched all the fireworks - it was
    beautiful...

    I think I slept at 3.40 and I had had a "tad" to drink, and we had so much fun:eek:)

  11. Connie Walsh

    Connie Walsh Guest

    Amberle:

    We usually do a house party like you are describing but this year we stayed at home with the kids
    and watched SeaBiscuit (good movie). It was fun.

    Connie

    Amberle3 wrote:
    > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New Year's
    > Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    >
    > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm is.
    > Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go out to
    > the big organized parties and bars.
    >
    > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > snacks ready for later.
    >
    > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > chocolates.
    >
    > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait that
    > DF picked up for me.
    >
    > So what did everyone else do?
    >
    > Amberle3
    > --
    > Amberle3
    > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    >
    > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

    --

    Cheers,

    Connie Walsh

    241.5/210.5/155 RAFL 218/210.5/198.5

  12. Laura

    Laura Guest

    We are at my mother's place this year for a change. We've never done NYE with her before. She
    lives at a resort place in Florida in the winter. We went to a cocktail party and dinner at the
    tennis club she belongs to. Cocktails for me was 3 large glasses of Club soda. I stuck mostly with
    the veggie platter for snacks before dinner. Dinner was a cornish game hen stuffed with rice. Not
    bad except we had ordered lobster. The lobster turned out to be a small lobster tail with about 3
    bites of meat. So we actually lucked out. Desert was a pitiful looking apple tart. All in all
    dinner was a bust.

    That was over by 10pm so we came home. We had the choice to go down to the beach club to watch the
    fireworks at midnight but we decided that we did not want to fight the crowd so we stayed home and
    watched them from the back yard. Could not see the ground display but that's okay. They only lasted
    20 minutes. My daughter and I played with the sparklers that we had bought at the store. (Fireworks
    are legal in Florida). Quiet night for us.

    "Amberle3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New Year's
    > Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    >
    > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm is.
    > Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go out to
    > the big organized parties and bars.
    >
    > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > snacks ready for later.
    >
    > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > chocolates.
    >
    > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait that
    > DF picked up for me.
    >
    > So what did everyone else do?
    >
    > Amberle3
    > --
    > Amberle3
    > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    >
    > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

  13. Stayed home, watched TV. It was snowing and the roads were slick - no way we were going anyplace!!
    --
    Donna in Idaho! Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/ The
    ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

    Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

    "Amberle3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New Year's
    > Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    >
    > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm is.
    > Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go out to
    > the big organized parties and bars.
    >
    > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > snacks ready for later.
    >
    > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > chocolates.
    >
    > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait that
    > DF picked up for me.
    >
    > So what did everyone else do?
    >
    > Amberle3
    > --
    > Amberle3
    > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    >
    > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

  14. We stayed home and watched tv. DH and DS were in bed by 9:30, and I stayed up until 1:00 am. Some
    neighbors were shooting off fireworks, but it was a quite entrance into 2004 in our household!
    --
    Brenda
    209/176/150 NYNY goal 160

    "Amberle3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New Year's
    > Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    >
    > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm is.
    > Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go out to
    > the big organized parties and bars.
    >
    > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > snacks ready for later.
    >
    > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > chocolates.
    >
    > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait that
    > DF picked up for me.
    >
    > So what did everyone else do?
    >
    > Amberle3
    > --
    > Amberle3
    > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    >
    > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

  15. Amberle3

    Amberle3 Guest

    Sandra I'm curious - what did most of the people you know do for NYE? I don't know anyone who went
    out to any of the organized things.

    Is the "in" thing to do to just do little home parties? Does this mean that I'm "hip" now? ;)

    Amberle3

    Sandra S wrote:

    > I went to a friends place and we brought the kids. It was fun! Some light snacks, played some
    > board games.
    >
    > I live in Winnipeg too.......small world!
    >
    > Sandra S
    >
    > "Amberle3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New
    > > Year's Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    > >
    > > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm
    > > is. Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go
    > > out to the big organized parties and bars.
    > >
    > > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > > snacks ready for later.
    > >
    > > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > > chocolates.
    > >
    > > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait
    > > that DF picked up for me.
    > >
    > > So what did everyone else do?
    > >
    > > Amberle3
    > > --
    > > Amberle3
    > > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    > >
    > > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

    --
    Amberle3
    249/219/215-minigoal/150?
    Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03

    - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge:
    http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge:
    http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

  16. Welcome to the board!!!

    --
    Janice
    263/252/150 (maybe 130)

    "Jennifer Harvey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My NYE consisted of way too many calories from alcohol. Someone needs to leave the nutritional
    > labels of those bottles!
    >
    > I'm new to this group and I'm realizing that I can't do this alone. I've enrolled in a few diet
    > groups and enlisted the help of some of my close friends. I think this time may be the turning
    > point in my life. I'm tired
    of
    > saying 'I'll do it tomorrow'.
    >
    > I'm doing it right now.
    >

    > Amberle3 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New
    > > Year's Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    > >
    > > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm
    > > is. Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go
    > > out to the big organized parties and bars.
    > >
    > > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > > snacks ready for later.
    > >
    > > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > > chocolates.
    > >
    > > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait
    > > that DF picked up for me.
    > >
    > > So what did everyone else do?
    > >
    > > Amberle3
    > > --
    > > Amberle3
    > > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    > >
    > > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

  17. welcome and good luck, Lee
    Jennifer Harvey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My NYE consisted of way too many calories from alcohol. Someone needs to leave the nutritional
    > labels of those bottles!
    >
    > I'm new to this group and I'm realizing that I can't do this alone. I've enrolled in a few diet
    > groups and enlisted the help of some of my close friends. I think this time may be the turning
    > point in my life. I'm tired
    of
    > saying 'I'll do it tomorrow'.
    >
    > I'm doing it right now.
    >

    > Amberle3 <a[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New
    > > Year's Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    > >
    > > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm
    > > is. Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go
    > > out to the big organized parties and bars.
    > >
    > > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > > snacks ready for later.
    > >
    > > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > > chocolates.
    > >
    > > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait
    > > that DF picked up for me.
    > >
    > > So what did everyone else do?
    > >
    > > Amberle3
    > > --
    > > Amberle3
    > > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    > >
    > > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

  18. Welcome to the group Jennifer.
    --
    Brenda
    209/176/150 NYNY goal 160

    "Jennifer Harvey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My NYE consisted of way too many calories from alcohol. Someone needs to leave the nutritional
    > labels of those bottles!
    >
    > I'm new to this group and I'm realizing that I can't do this alone. I've enrolled in a few diet
    > groups and enlisted the help of some of my close friends. I think this time may be the turning
    > point in my life. I'm tired
    of
    > saying 'I'll do it tomorrow'.
    >
    > I'm doing it right now.
    >

    > Amberle3 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Since we have such a culturally-diverse group here I'm wondering what everyone did for New
    > > Year's Eve, and what the norm for your area is.
    > >
    > > Here in my little section of Canada (Winnipeg) to be honest I'm not really sure what the norm
    > > is. Most likely just house parties. That's all I've ever done, although I know some people go
    > > out to the big organized parties and bars.
    > >
    > > We had 2 long-time friends over, so there were 5 of us in total. I made dinner (ham, scalloped
    > > potatoes made with skim milk and margarine, corn, fresh-baked buns, salad) and then had some
    > > snacks ready for later.
    > >
    > > I've discovered that I can't plan parties for 5 people. I'm great at planning for 2, or for 20.
    > > I'm not so great with anything in between. We had 3 different chip dips, salsa, of course the
    > > chips to go with them, pretzels, baked brie, mulled wine, a ton of cookies, and we also put out
    > > all the sweets that were given to us over the holidays so a lot of packaged cookies and
    > > chocolates.
    > >
    > > I ended up having about 3 tablespoons of dip, 2 cookies, 2 slices of brie, and I'm not sure how
    > > much wine because a) it wasn't very strong and b) no one else seems to have been drinking it. I
    > > was too busy during the day to eat anything, except for the McDonald's Fruit & Yogurt parfait
    > > that DF picked up for me.
    > >
    > > So what did everyone else do?
    > >
    > > Amberle3
    > > --
    > > Amberle3
    > > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    > >
    > > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm

  19. Sandra S

    Sandra S Guest

    Most people I know did the small house party thing. Those organized things are way too much...I
    guess we can both be hip now lol

> [...]

    > > > So what did everyone else do?
    > > >
    > > > Amberle3
    > > > --
    > > > Amberle3
    > > > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    > > >
    > > > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > > > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > > > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:
    > > > http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/rafl.htm
    >
    > --
    > Amberle3
    > 249/219/215-minigoal/150? Renewed my commitment to me 3/30/03
    >
    > - New Year, New You Weight Loss Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/nyny.htm
    > - Take Heart, Take Part Exercise Challenge: http://www.angelfire.com/me4/travelgirl/thtp.htm
    > - Resolutions are for Losers Weight Loss Challenge:

  20. Lili

    Lili Guest

    I'm from Winnipeg too! Really small world. I stayed home with the kids and we watched movies. My non-
    smoking friends had home parties and my smoking friends went to a bar out of town so they wouldn't
    have to go outside everytime. Parish the thought they should have to get up off their dairier once
    in a while.

    Lili