New Year's Resolution...

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bullwinkle, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Bullwinkle

    Bullwinkle Guest

    .... To wait until 1/1/2007 to check back and see if all the nonsense has
    stopped on ARBR.

    Tags:

  2. Ken M

    Ken M Guest

    Bullwinkle wrote:
    > ... To wait until 1/1/2007 to check back and see if all the nonsense has
    > stopped on ARBR.

    I am new here, but ignore thread is a very useful tool.

    Ken
    --
    [T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
    calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles

    Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bullwinkle wrote:
    >> ... To wait until 1/1/2007 to check back and see if all the nonsense has
    >> stopped on ARBR.
    >>

    > I am new here, but ignore thread is a very useful tool.
    >
    > Ken
    > --
    > [T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
    > calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles
    > per gallon. ~Bill Strickland, The Quotable Cyclist
    >
    > Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

    The problem with that plan Ken is it pre-supposes that there will be
    something posted about recumbents.

    While that is a possibility it is not likely. You would be better off seekng
    another source of information on recumbents.

    Jim C

  4. Bullwinkle wrote:
    > ... To wait until 1/1/2007 to check back and see if all the nonsense has
    > stopped on ARBR.

    It stopped coming from Illinois Century Network (state of Illinois) Dec
    29,
    now Jan 2 it is coming from SBC Chicago.

  5. Steve W

    Steve W Guest

    "but ignore thread is a very useful too"

    please explain how to use this facility as I am truly fed up with the
    postings that are spoiling this NG

    SW in the UK

  6. Ken M

    Ken M Guest

    Steve W wrote:
    > "but ignore thread is a very useful too"
    >

    > please explain how to use this facility as I am truly fed up with the
    > postings that are spoiling this NG
    >
    > SW in the UK

    Well I guess it depends on if you are using a separate news service. If
    you are posting / reading using google then there is no way to ignore a
    thread. But if you are using a client like Forte Agent or Mozilla
    Thunderbird you and choose to ignore a certain thread, and or filter
    posts by subject or email address.

    Ken
    --
    [T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
    calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles
    per gallon. ~Bill Strickland, The Quotable Cyclist

    Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

  7. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Ken M wrote:

    > Well I guess it depends on if you are using a separate news service. If
    > you are posting / reading using google then there is no way to ignore a
    > thread. But if you are using a client like Forte Agent or Mozilla
    > Thunderbird you and choose to ignore a certain thread, and or filter
    > posts by subject or email address.
    >
    > Ken
    > --
    > [T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
    > calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles
    > per gallon. ~Bill Strickland, The Quotable Cyclist
    >
    > Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

    You know, I'm really curious why folks can't seem to ignore "on their
    own" -- you know, like when you find garbage on TV and just keep
    changing the channel...or turn it off for a while and go bike-riding.

  8. Ken M

    Ken M Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Ken M wrote:
    >
    >>Well I guess it depends on if you are using a separate news service. If
    >>you are posting / reading using google then there is no way to ignore a
    >>thread. But if you are using a client like Forte Agent or Mozilla
    >>Thunderbird you and choose to ignore a certain thread, and or filter
    >>posts by subject or email address.
    >>
    >>Ken
    >>--
    >>[T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
    >>calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles
    >>per gallon. ~Bill Strickland, The Quotable Cyclist
    >>
    >>Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

    > You know, I'm really curious why folks can't seem to ignore "on their
    > own" -- you know, like when you find garbage on TV and just keep
    > changing the channel...or turn it off for a while and go bike-riding.

    I agree with you there, but with the ignore thread, they never even make
    it to my hard drive. Out of sight, out of mind.

    Ken
    --
    [T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
    calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles
    per gallon. ~Bill Strickland, The Quotable Cyclist

    Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

  9. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > NYC XYZ wrote:
    >> Ken M wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well I guess it depends on if you are using a separate news service. If
    >>>you are posting / reading using google then there is no way to ignore a
    >>>thread. But if you are using a client like Forte Agent or Mozilla
    >>>Thunderbird you and choose to ignore a certain thread, and or filter
    >>>posts by subject or email address.

    >> You know, I'm really curious why folks can't seem to ignore "on their
    >> own" -- you know, like when you find garbage on TV and just keep
    >> changing the channel...or turn it off for a while and go bike-riding.
    >>

    > I agree with you there, but with the ignore thread, they never even make
    > it to my hard drive. Out of sight, out of mind.

    Another consideration that comes to mind is the mental pollution it creates
    if you even glance at a nasty message. Words matter and can easily create an
    ambiance that will stay with you for many hours.

    I have probably been put in more kill files than anyone else on this
    newsgroup, but I don't mean to cause anyone any grief. I try to steer away
    from too much cussing and swearing for that very reason. But this group
    lately has been deluged with spam which borders on the obscene. We would all
    be better off if it weren't here. Why visit a newsgroup when all you are
    going to find is a lot of low life.

    ARBR has fallen on hard times because of the spammers. No, I don't bother
    with any of it either, but just knowing it is there pisses me off!

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  10. Ken M

    Ken M Guest

    Edward Dolan wrote:
    > "Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>NYC XYZ wrote:

    >>>You know, I'm really curious why folks can't seem to ignore "on their
    >>>own" -- you know, like when you find garbage on TV and just keep
    >>>changing the channel...or turn it off for a while and go bike-riding.
    >>>

    >>I agree with you there, but with the ignore thread, they never even make
    >>it to my hard drive. Out of sight, out of mind.

    > Another consideration that comes to mind is the mental pollution it creates
    > if you even glance at a nasty message. Words matter and can easily create an
    > ambiance that will stay with you for many hours.
    >
    > I have probably been put in more kill files than anyone else on this
    > newsgroup, but I don't mean to cause anyone any grief. I try to steer away
    > from too much cussing and swearing for that very reason. But this group
    > lately has been deluged with spam which borders on the obscene. We would all
    > be better off if it weren't here. Why visit a newsgroup when all you are
    > going to find is a lot of low life.
    >
    > ARBR has fallen on hard times because of the spammers. No, I don't bother
    > with any of it either, but just knowing it is there pisses me off!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ed Dolan - Minnesota

    It's not just limited to ARBR, the jerks that post that anti-highracer
    blog spam cross posts his obscene / putrid trash to two other groups I
    subscribe to as well, rec.bicycles.tech and rec.bicycles.misc but I very
    rarely see any of it thanks to filters and ignore thread features.

    Ken
    --
    [T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
    calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles
    per gallon. ~Bill Strickland, The Quotable Cyclist

    Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

  11. Mike Rice

    Mike Rice Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:08:50 -0600, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    <snip>

    >ARBR has fallen on hard times because of the spammers. No, I don't bother
    >with any of it either, but just knowing it is there pisses me off!
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Ed Dolan - Minnesota

    I am truly amazed, Saint Ed gets pissed off!

    Who'da thunk it?

    Indiana Mike

  12. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Mike Rice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:08:50 -0600, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    > <snip>
    >>
    >>ARBR has fallen on hard times because of the spammers. No, I don't bother
    >>with any of it either, but just knowing it is there pisses me off!
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Ed Dolan - Minnesota
    >>

    > I am truly amazed, Saint Ed gets pissed off!
    >
    > Who'da thunk it?
    >
    > Indiana Mike

    Minor Saints are not allowed to get pissed off. Only Major Saints like Saint
    Edward the Great are allowed to get pissed off. In fact, it is expected of
    us Great Saints. It is sometimes called Holy Rage, as when Our Lord got
    angry and threw the money changers out of the temple.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  13. Ken M wrote:
    > Steve W wrote:
    > > "but ignore thread is a very useful too"
    > >

    > > please explain how to use this facility as I am truly fed up with the
    > > postings that are spoiling this NG
    > >
    > > SW in the UK
    > >

    > Well I guess it depends on if you are using a separate news service. If
    > you are posting / reading using google then there is no way to ignore a
    > thread....

    Not true. There is an excellent filter called the human brain, that
    works very well in this capacity with proper training and discipline
    (something all those who posted whiny messages to
    alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent before running off to BROL land where they
    are protected from spirited discussion by the moderators.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

  14. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Johnny Sunset" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Ken M wrote:
    >> Steve W wrote:
    >> > "but ignore thread is a very useful too"
    >> >

    >> > please explain how to use this facility as I am truly fed up with the
    >> > postings that are spoiling this NG
    >> >
    >> > SW in the UK
    >> >

    >> Well I guess it depends on if you are using a separate news service. If
    >> you are posting / reading using google then there is no way to ignore a
    >> thread....

    > Not true. There is an excellent filter called the human brain, that
    > works very well in this capacity with proper training and discipline
    > (something all those who posted whiny messages to
    > alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent before running off to BROL land where they
    > are protected from spirited discussion by the moderators.
    >
    > --
    > Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

    Jeez! Mr. Sherman is getting feistier and feistier lately. He is even
    starting to sound like me!

    However, he is surely right. I have never for the life of me been able to
    figure out why those who do not like a particular topic can't just ignore
    it. Who needs any filters or kill files.

    My only caveat is that even I do not much appreciate messages that are full
    of nothing but obscenities and character assassination. Mr. Sherman does not
    do it and neither do I. I wish that those who like to engage in that sort of
    nonsense would confine it to their blogs and not bother a respectable group
    like ARBR.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  15. nget

    nget New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    PS. Put the mouse down,raise your hands and slowly back away from the computer.
    Mark

  16. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "nget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    [...]
    >> I agree with what Tom is saying up to this point. The rest of what he
    >> has to say is just the ramblings on of someone who probably smoked just
    >> a little too much monkey bud. Spirited discussions are not in short
    >> supply in BROL land but nasty HRS blogs are.

    But could you have said what you just said on BROL?

    >> (something all those who posted whiny messages to
    >> alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent before running off to BROL land where they
    >> are protected from spirited discussion by the moderators.

    >> You could toss the rest of what you said in the garbage, after all it
    >> is just your opinion.

    Again, could you have said what you just said on BROL?

    By the way, opinion is of the essence. It is just about the only thing I am
    interested in. Discussions about facts bore the hell out of me.

    >> Tom " Mr. sixth grade education" Sherman - Fox River Valley

    > PS. Put the mouse down,raise your hands and slowly back away from the
    > computer.

    Ditto for the above.

    If you could have said all of the above, then BROL is not as bad as I
    imagine it to be. However, I don't think I would pass muster on that forum.
    Mr. Sherman would however provided he does not go off topic like he does
    with me. One of these days I will have a look at it. I will just lurk and
    not post of course.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  17. nget

    nget New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    I think my new years' motto will be to always look on the bright side of life.
    Happy new year,
    Mark

  18. nget ? wrote:
    > I think my new years' motto will be to always look on the bright side
    > of life...

    MR. FRISBEE III:
    Cheer up, Brian. You know what they say.
    Some things in life are bad.
    They can really make you mad.
    Other things just make you swear and curse.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle,
    Don't grumble. Give a whistle.
    And this'll help things turn out for the best.
    And...

    [music]
    Always look on the bright side of life.

    [whistling]
    Always look on the light side of life.
    [whistling]

    If life seems jolly rotten,
    There's something you've forgotten,
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
    When you're feeling in the dumps,
    Don't be silly chumps.
    Just purse your lips and whistle. That's the thing.
    And...

    Always look on the bright side of life.
    SEVERAL:
    [whistling]
    MR. FRISBEE:
    Come on!
    SEVERAL:
    Always look on the right side of life,
    [whistling]

    MR. FRISBEE:
    For life is quite absurd
    And death's the final word.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.
    Forget about your sin.
    Give the audience a grin.
    EVERYONE:
    Enjoy it. It's your last chance, anyhow.
    So,...

    Always look on the bright side of death,
    [whistling]
    Just before you draw your terminal breath.

    [whistling]

    MR. FRISBEE:
    Life's a piece of shit,
    When you look at it.
    Life's a laugh and death's a joke. It's true.
    You'll see it's all a show.
    Keep 'em laughing as you go.
    Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
    And...

    EVERYONE:
    Always look on the bright side of life.
    [whistling]
    Always look on the right side of life.
    [whistling]

    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

  19. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "nget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Edward Dolan Wrote:
    >> "nget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> [...]

    >> he

    >> just

    >> But could you have said what you just said on BROL?
    >>

    >> I could but leave out the part about smoking monkey dope.

    [...]

    The answer to your question is no, I
    >> would not be able to tell someone that thier opinion was fit for the
    >> dumpster.
    >>
    >> By the way, opinion is of the essence. It is just about the only thing
    >> I am
    >> interested in. Discussions about facts bore the hell out of me.

    [...]

    No, there is no point in me ever going to BROL. I am only into opinion and I
    like to see it strongly expressed. I like lots of conflict with lots of
    fireworks and a bit of name calling never hurt anyone either. If I want to
    be bored by humdrum discussion, I will turn on the TV and attend to Charlie
    Rose on PBS.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  20. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Johnny Sunset" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > nget ? wrote:
    >> I think my new years' motto will be to always look on the bright side
    >> of life...

    > MR. FRISBEE III:
    > Cheer up, Brian. You know what they say.
    > Some things in life are bad.
    > They can really make you mad.
    > Other things just make you swear and curse.
    > When you're chewing on life's gristle,
    > Don't grumble. Give a whistle.
    > And this'll help things turn out for the best.
    > And...
    >
    > [music]
    > Always look on the bright side of life.
    >
    > [whistling]
    > Always look on the light side of life.
    > [whistling]
    >
    > If life seems jolly rotten,
    > There's something you've forgotten,
    > And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
    > When you're feeling in the dumps,
    > Don't be silly chumps.
    > Just purse your lips and whistle. That's the thing.
    > And...
    >
    > Always look on the bright side of life.
    > SEVERAL:
    > [whistling]
    > MR. FRISBEE:
    > Come on!
    > SEVERAL:
    > Always look on the right side of life,
    > [whistling]
    >
    > MR. FRISBEE:
    > For life is quite absurd
    > And death's the final word.
    > You must always face the curtain with a bow.
    > Forget about your sin.
    > Give the audience a grin.
    > EVERYONE:
    > Enjoy it. It's your last chance, anyhow.
    > So,...
    >
    > Always look on the bright side of death,
    > [whistling]
    > Just before you draw your terminal breath.
    >
    > [whistling]
    >
    > MR. FRISBEE:
    > Life's a piece of shit,
    > When you look at it.
    > Life's a laugh and death's a joke. It's true.
    > You'll see it's all a show.
    > Keep 'em laughing as you go.
    > Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
    > And...
    >
    > EVERYONE:
    > Always look on the bright side of life.
    > [whistling]
    > Always look on the right side of life.
    > [whistling]

    > Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

    Voltaire and Bernstein addressed this problem of optimism vs. pessimism in
    "Candide."

    Human life is either tragedy or comedy. It cannot be both. I see it as
    tragedy because we have consciousness and can therefor reflect upon it.

    Life is much simpler for my cats who cannot reflect upon their lives. Life
    is even simpler for a great Sequoia Tree. I would like to have been a great
    Sequoia Tree. Instead, we humans are closely related to the chimpanzee, a
    most grotesque creature. No, it would have been better if I had come into
    this world as a great Sequoia Tree.

    Mr. Sherman could have been a lowly bush or a shrub under my mighty trunk
    and Slugger could have been a dandelion. I would have looked down on them
    from my height as a great Sequoia Tree and known all was right with the
    world.

    Evolution made a tremendous mistake when it took a turn to animal life. We
    should all have been plants which is the only suitable life for this planet
    known as Mother Earth.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota