New York Times, and a number of links to Tyler in the news.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sierraman, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    Since it might require a username and password, not sure so I included the
    article. See below at bottom for other links on Tyler.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/22/sports/othersports/22cycling.html?hp

    A Cycling Medalist Denies Evidence of Doping
    By SAMUEL ABT

    Published: September 22, 2004

    Keystone, Steffen Schmidt/Associated Press
    Tyler Hamilton of the United States defending himself Tuesday against
    accusations of blood doping.

    PARIS, Sept. 21 - Tyler Hamilton, the American bicycle racer who won a gold
    medal in the individual time trial at the Olympics last month in Athens, is
    suspected of receiving illegal performance-enhancing blood transfusions for
    that event and for a major race in Spain.

    Hamilton strongly denied Tuesday that he had received blood transfusions,
    which can aid an athlete's performance because they increase the amount of
    oxygen-transporting red blood cells. The practice has been illegal in
    cycling since the late 1980's.

    "I am 100 percent innocent," Hamilton said Tuesday at a news conference held
    in Regensdorf, Switzerland, by his Phonak team.

    Hamilton added, according to The Associated Press, that he would "fight this
    until I don't have a euro left in my pocket."

    Follow-up tests, which are mandated to confirm the first findings, were
    started Tuesday and will be finished Wednesday, but it was not known when
    the results would be announced, Hamilton said.

    A spokesman for Phonak said that the sport's governing body, the
    International Cycling Union, or U.C.I., had told the team Monday that tests
    Aug. 19 at the Olympic Games and Sept. 11 at the Spanish Vuelta showed
    evidence of blood from another person.

    Both tests followed victories by Hamilton, 33, a rider ranked behind only
    Lance Armstrong in the United States. If the results are confirmed by second
    tests, he faces the loss of his Olympic medal and a possible two-year ban.

    "I worked hard for that gold medal and it isn't going anywhere," Hamilton
    said at the news conference. "I have always been an honest person. I am
    devastated to be here tonight."

    He added, "I have been accused of taking blood from another person, which
    anybody who knows me knows is completely impossible." He explained that he
    was afraid of acquiring AIDS from a blood transfusion and passing it on to
    his wife, Haven.

    According to a Spanish news agency, E.F.E., the cycling union notified the
    Phonak team doctor, IƱaki Arratibel, that Hamilton's blood revealed what it
    termed inconsistencies in screenings.

    Andy Rihs, chairman of the board of Phonak, said that he stood behind
    Hamilton and that he did not trust the blood test, which was introduced this
    year and used at the Tour de France, the Olympics and the Vuelta.

    The test is more sensitive than previous ones used to detect blood doping,
    said Dr. Don H. Catlin, director of the Olympic drug-testing lab at
    U.C.L.A., in a telephone interview Tuesday. The test, which was developed in
    Australia, can detect even smaller amounts of another person's blood cells
    in a sample. A person normally has only one type of red blood cell.

    "What you are trying to do is identify whether all the red cells in that
    sample are one type, or whether there could be a population of other red
    cells that don't belong there," said Catlin, who was in Athens performing
    drug tests.

    The director of Phonak's riders, Alvaro Pino, told Radio Marca in Spain on
    Tuesday: "I spoke with the rider and, knowing him as I do, I'm relatively
    calm. He told me, 'Be calm, because this will work out in my favor and I'm
    telling you that sincerely, because there's absolutely nothing in this.' "

    Hamilton, a quiet-spoken and polite person, captured many hearts during the
    Olympic time trial, a race against the clock, because he had a red dog tag
    affixed to the inside of his helmet. It had belonged to his beloved golden
    retriever, Tugboat, who died of cancer in July during the Tour de France.

    Hamilton, who was injured in an early crash in the Tour, withdrew from the
    race and began preparing for the Athens Games.

    After the Olympics, he competed this month in the three-week Vuelta and won
    its eighth stage, a time trial, on Sept. 11. But he withdrew late last week,
    blaming an upset stomach that had hindered him in the mountains.

    Blood doping, as the practice is called, first received publicity after some
    members of the successful United States cycling team admitted after the 1984
    Olympics that they had received transfusions of blood previously removed and
    stored. Blood doping was not yet illegal.

    The use of transfusions has been virtually replaced by the use of the
    blood-boosting drug EPO, Catlin said. "It is much easier to take a shot and
    get more red cells," he said.

    But in the last couple of years, better tests for the use of EPO may have
    led some athletes to return to blood doping. "If that avenue is blocked, you
    could go back to the old style, like blood doping," Catlin said.

    He added that from what he had seen, athletes who used blood doping used
    blood from a relative or someone they knew well.

    Catlin also said that the average life span of red cells was 180 days.
    "Transfused blood does not last that long, but it lasts for a while," he
    said.

    If Hamilton's follow-up tests are positive and he is disqualified from the
    Olympics, the three riders who finished behind him would move up. The gold
    medal would go to Vyacheslav Ekimov of Russia, who won the event at the 2000
    Games; the silver would go to Bobby Julich of the United States; and the
    bronze would go to Michael Rogers of Australia, who was the 2003 world
    champion in the time trial after David Millar of Britain was disqualified
    after testing positive for doping.

    Three athletes lost their gold medals because of doping during the Athens
    Games.

    Hamilton became the leader of the Phonak team this year, after he finished
    fourth in the 2003 Tour de France despite a broken right collarbone he
    sustained in a crash on the first day of the race.

    He is known for persevering through pain. In his nine Tours, he has finished
    stages despite dehydration, stomach problems and reactions to medicine.

    He finished second in the 2002 Giro d'Italia and 15th in that year's Tour de
    France despite a broken shoulder; he said the pain so severe that he kept
    grinding his teeth and needed nearly a dozen caps from his dentist
    afterward.

    In the latest listing of riders by the cycling union, issued late last
    month, Hamilton ranked 23rd in the world.

    Some other articles...

    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2004-09-21-hamilton_x.htm

    http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3028216

    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1885736

    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...040921/ap_on_sp_ot/cyc_hamilton_investigation

    Tags:

  2. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Sierraman wrote:
    > Since it might require a username and password, not sure so I
    > included the
    > article. See below at bottom for other links on Tyler.

    http://www.bugmenot.com

  3. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sierraman wrote:
    > > Since it might require a username and password, not sure so I
    > > included the
    > > article. See below at bottom for other links on Tyler.
    > >

    > http://www.bugmenot.com

    Dummy, it's not for you, it's for the krill.

  4. Sierraman wrote:

    > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Sierraman wrote:
    >>
    >>>Since it might require a username and password, not sure so I
    >>>included the
    >>>article. See below at bottom for other links on Tyler.
    >>>

    >>http://www.bugmenot.com

    > Dummy, it's not for you, it's for the krill.

    the "krill"?

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  5. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sierraman wrote:
    >
    > > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > >>http://www.bugmenot.com

    > > Dummy, it's not for you, it's for the krill.
    > >

    > the "krill"?
    >
    > Steve

    The collection of small marine crustaceans of the order Euphausiacea that
    are the principal food of baleen whales.

  6. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Sierraman wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]

    > > > Dummy, it's not for you, it's for the krill.
    > > >

    > > the "krill"?
    > >
    > > Steve

    > The collection of small marine crustaceans of the order Euphausiacea that
    > are the principal food of baleen whales.

    Indeed.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q="Kveck""krill""salmon"&hl=en&l
    r=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.bicycles.racing&selm=YOURhoward-EB6252.00291509092004%
    40netnews.comcast.net&rnum=1

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    A billion + 2 followups...

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  7. On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 06:29:48 GMT, Howard Kveck wrote:
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q="Kveck""krill""salmon"&hl=en&l
    > r=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.bicycles.racing&selm=YOURhoward-EB6252.00291509092004%
    > 40netnews.comcast.net&rnum=1

    If your news reader wraps long links, try cutting it down to the
    minimum: include only the selm=messageid part after the question mark.

  8. Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 06:29:48 GMT, Howard Kveck wrote:
    >
    >>http://groups.google.com/groups?q="Kveck""krill""salmon"&hl=en&l
    >>r=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.bicycles.racing&selm=YOURhoward-EB6252.00291509092004%
    >>40netnews.comcast.net&rnum=1

    > If your news reader wraps long links, try cutting it down to the
    > minimum: include only the selm=messageid part after the question mark.

    This is all your fault for reading the thread.
    If you hadn't, he could have put the link inside < > marks.

  9. On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:35:43 +1200, Stewart Fleming wrote:
    > This is all your fault

    I blame cyclingforummoronsdotcom.

  10. Sierraman wrote:
    > "Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Sierraman wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>Dummy, it's not for you, it's for the krill.
    >>>

    >>the "krill"?
    >>
    >>Steve

    > The collection of small marine crustaceans of the order Euphausiacea that
    > are the principal food of baleen whales.

    I know what krill are...that begs the question--how many krill read the
    NY Times?

    Steve

  11. Howard Kveck wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]

    >>>the "krill"?
    >>>
    >>>Steve

    >>The collection of small marine crustaceans of the order Euphausiacea that
    >>are the principal food of baleen whales.

    > Indeed.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q="Kveck""krill""salmon"&hl=en&l
    > r=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.bicycles.racing&selm=YOURhoward-EB6252.00291509092004%
    > 40netnews.comcast.net&rnum=1

    Well, THANK YOU, Howard. It appears krill are more versatile than I knew.

    Steve