New, young cyclist looking for nutrition advice

Negotiation

Aug 29, 2012
Hi,

I'm a 16-year-old newbie within the art of cycling, and I've got some questions.
I'm 1.77, 60kg. Convert that to empirical if you want.

As of now I'm biking 20-50km a ride, at 20-24 km/h depending on the distance and hills (there's quite a few).

Anyway, I usually have a high-fiber meal around 2 hours before riding, and I've been eating a banana or two during the rides. After the rides I've had a bowl of cornflakes (enough to make me feel full) and 20-30g of whey protein (80%).

This is what I'm wondering about, mainly the protein. Am I taking a sufficient amount of it?

Hoping that someone can give me some advice on how I should improve my diet.

Are you racing or planning to race?

You can only digest about 25g of protein at a time, so if you're taking in that much right after a ride (within about 30 minutes), that's good. Other than that, stay hydrated and try to take in 200-300 Calories per hour of riding.

You're young and thin. Avoid processed foods, eat plenty of colorful fruits and vegetables, keep cycling and you'll be well on your way to a lifetime of good, energetic health.

Originally Posted by Negotiation .

Hi,

I'm a 16-year-old newbie within the art of cycling, and I've got some questions.
I'm 1.77, 60kg. Convert that to empirical if you want.

As of now I'm biking 20-50km a ride, at 20-24 km/h depending on the distance and hills (there's quite a few).

Anyway, I usually have a high-fiber meal around 2 hours before riding, and I've been eating a banana or two during the rides. After the rides I've had a bowl of cornflakes (enough to make me feel full) and 20-30g of whey protein (80%).

This is what I'm wondering about, mainly the protein. Am I taking a sufficient amount of it?

Hoping that someone can give me some advice on how I should improve my diet.
By high-fiber.... I would guess you mean something vegetarian... like oatmeal, beans, or a salad? Corn flakes are around 2 grams of protein per cup..... far more protein in the milk you pour over the flakes (One cup of 1 percent milk contains 8.03 g of protein).

Since your diet does seem to allow you to use dairy products.... I'd consider replacing the whey mix with a real glass of wholesome milk (maybe even chocolate) and why not a hunk of cheese or a string cheese stick. An egg is a great source of meat (and quick and easy when hard-boiled)... that also seems to be acceptable to many non-meat eaters.

I am NOT a big fan of junk foods... which in my book includes whey powders.

You can use on-line references to calculate your required protein (and everything else) requirements... then just look up the values of what you're eating. Or... get an all-in-one app that can run on an ipad, tablet, ipod, or smart-phone and track your diet and exercise, based on pre-entered weight and age.

It is interesting that a 16 year old would be concerned about protein.... even 60 years often forget to consider dietary requirements. I really hope your not trying to use a cycling forum to address a health concern. You should really be taking these concerns to a parent, trusted adult, school nurse (do they still have those?), or your family doctor. Most health problems are better taken care of when presented to a doctor early on.

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

Are you racing or planning to race?

You can only digest about 25g of protein at a time, so if you're taking in that much right after a ride (within about 30 minutes), that's good. Other than that, stay hydrated and try to take in 200-300 Calories per hour of riding.

You're young and thin. Avoid processed foods, eat plenty of colorful fruits and vegetables, keep cycling and you'll be well on your way to a lifetime of good, energetic health.
Thanks for sharing this. Great advise. I'll keep it in mind.