New Zealand - Rotorua - Bike Hire

You're going to Rotarua and planning on hiring a road bike?!?!?!?!

On behalf of all mountain bikers around the world - ARE YOU NUTS?!

Parbs

"kanangara" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> You're going to Rotarua and planning on hiring a road bike?!?!?!?!
>
> On behalf of all mountain bikers around the world - ARE YOU NUTS?!
>
> Parbs
>

> --
> kanangara

Its not all MTB territory.

I see the Lake Taupo Challenge is on in November. The website says there is
a 160 km non competitive ride and also 320 and 640 km Maxi Endurance events.
Round the lake in a day or three!!

fb in sydknee

"kanangara" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> You're going to Rotarua and planning on hiring a road bike?!?!?!?!
>
> On behalf of all mountain bikers around the world - ARE YOU NUTS?!
>
> Parbs
>

> --
> kanangara

Its not all MTB territory.

I see the Lake Taupo Challenge is on in November. The website says there is
a 160 km non competitive ride and also 320 and 640 km Maxi Endurance events.
Round the lake in a day or three!!

fb in sydknee

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 17:28:07 +1100, kanangara
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You're going to Rotarua and planning on hiring a road bike?!?!?!?!
>
>On behalf of all mountain bikers around the world - ARE YOU NUTS?!

Ahh no. Not every one is big into mountain biking you know and
secondly, I want the road bike to go on training rides from my mum's
place each day. I don't have the time to go exploring trails or for
that matter the inclination as I will be doing other things with my
son during the day.

The roadie would allow me to get a good hour or so riding in each
morning exploring or revisiting other parts of Rotorua.

Regards
Andrew
-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://www.bicyclewa.com.au/blog/8 http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au

<[email protected]> wrote:

>You're going to Rotarua and planning on hiring a road bike?!?!?!?!
>
>On behalf of all mountain bikers around the world - ARE YOU NUTS?!

Ahh no. Not every one is big into mountain biking you know and
secondly, I want the road bike to go on training rides from my mum's
place each day. I don't have the time to go exploring trails or for
that matter the inclination as I will be doing other things with my
son during the day.

The roadie would allow me to get a good hour or so riding in each
morning exploring or revisiting other parts of Rotorua.

Regards
Andrew
-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
Giant CRX 1; Giant Boulder SE
http://aushiker.com http://www.bicyclewa.com.au/blog/8 http://backpackgeartest.org http://geocaching.com.au

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 04:55:53 GMT, "Fractal"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I see the Lake Taupo Challenge is on in November. The website says there is
>a 160 km non competitive ride and also 320 and 640 km Maxi Endurance events.
>Round the lake in a day or three!!

My sister is going in that. There is also some great or potential
road riding around the lakes etc.

Andrew
-----

On Nov 6, 1:32 am, Andrew Priest <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 17:28:07 +1100, kanangara
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >You're going to Rotarua and planning on hiring a road bike?!?!?!?!

> >On behalf of all mountain bikers around the world - ARE YOU NUTS?!

> Ahh no. Not every one is big into mountain biking you know and
> secondly, I want the road bike to go on training rides from my mum's
> place each day. I don't have the time to go exploring trails or for
> that matter the inclination as I will be doing other things with my
> son during the day.

Gee, it's a bit like being martyred and turning down the 70 virgins. </
tic>

Rotorua has some of the best mtb singletracks in the world, with a
huge mtb park handy to town. Don't get me wrong, it's not like a theme
park, just an area near town that has great, legal trails. I still
felt like I was way out in the sticks, but was riding some beautifully
formed trails. And I hear that if you head out of town there's even
better riding.

> The roadie would allow me to get a good hour or so riding in each
> morning exploring or revisiting other parts of Rotorua.

Well, I guess NZ does have some great roadying roads as well, but,
but, but... ;^)

Tony F
who would definitely take the mtb to Rotorua before the roadie

On Nov 6, 1:32 am, Andrew Priest <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 17:28:07 +1100, kanangara
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >You're going to Rotarua and planning on hiring a road bike?!?!?!?!

> >On behalf of all mountain bikers around the world - ARE YOU NUTS?!

> Ahh no. Not every one is big into mountain biking you know and
> secondly, I want the road bike to go on training rides from my mum's
> place each day. I don't have the time to go exploring trails or for
> that matter the inclination as I will be doing other things with my
> son during the day.

Gee, it's a bit like being martyred and turning down the 70 virgins. </
tic>

Rotorua has some of the best mtb singletracks in the world, with a
huge mtb park handy to town. Don't get me wrong, it's not like a theme
park, just an area near town that has great, legal trails. I still
felt like I was way out in the sticks, but was riding some beautifully
formed trails. And I hear that if you head out of town there's even
better riding.

> The roadie would allow me to get a good hour or so riding in each
> morning exploring or revisiting other parts of Rotorua.

Well, I guess NZ does have some great roadying roads as well, but,
but, but... ;^)

Tony F
who would definitely take the mtb to Rotorua before the roadie

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 14:28:25 -0800, thefathippy
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Rotorua has some of the best mtb singletracks in the world, with a
>huge mtb park handy to town. Don't get me wrong, it's not like a theme
>park, just an area near town that has great, legal trails. I still
>felt like I was way out in the sticks, but was riding some beautifully
>formed trails. And I hear that if you head out of town there's even
>better riding.

That is fantastic I am sure for those into MTB but I not really
interested, so I am sorry.

Furthermore I have heard real bad stories about the quality of the
bikes available for hire ... so doubt I would really enjoy the trails
anyway.

>who would definitely take the mtb to Rotorua before the roadie

If that works for you, go for it.

Andrew
-----

On Nov 6, 11:16 am, Andrew Priest <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 14:28:25 -0800, thefathippy
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Rotorua has some of the best mtb singletracks in the world, with a
> >huge mtb park handy to town. Don't get me wrong, it's not like a theme
> >park, just an area near town that has great, legal trails. I still
> >felt like I was way out in the sticks, but was riding some beautifully
> >formed trails. And I hear that if you head out of town there's even
> >better riding.

> That is fantastic I am sure for those into MTB but I not really
> interested, so I am sorry.

Go on, come to the dark side. No wait, the dark side is roadies...
Come to the light side. ...ummm... the dirty side? ;^)

> Furthermore I have heard real bad stories about the quality of the
> bikes available for hire ... so doubt I would really enjoy the trails
> anyway.

I only hired one, and while it certainly wasn't top spec (basic
hardtail with discs), it was in good condition and worked perfectly.
They thought I was a bit odd wanting a pump and patch kit/tube, but
they were right, I didn't need one. Can't remember who I hired from,
but could find them again if you paid my fare. ;^)

Tony F
a road motorbike OTOH, would be brilliant in NZ