Newark to Manhattan

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by cliclista, May 19, 2004.

1. cliclista

cliclista New Member

I am one of the three people who ride a bicycle in Newark, NJ (the other two are the asian guy making deliveries, and the crackhead riding around the projects looking for a transaction).

I normally go to New York City to ride my 2001 Raleigh M60 (I know, it is nothing fancy, but it got two round wheels like most expensive bikes). Sometimes I go up to the George Washington Bridge on the New Jersey side, and then return home through Manhattan (at Cristopher Street I get on the PATH train). Most of the times I am riding through Manhattan (in the middle of intense traffic, through Central Park, etc...)

I would like to know If there is anyone in the area who can suggest some paths/trails or spots to ride.

Another issue is trying to get to from Newark to the Hudson River (Jersey City or Hoboken). There are two options right now, that I know of. One is taking Raymond Boulevard, over the two bridges, leading to Lincoln Highway/Communipaw Avenue (Jersey City). This one is risky because of the on and off ramps of the Turnpike. One could try to ride on the sidewalks (even though it is illegal), but they seem to disappear all of the sudden and then reappear somewhere else, out of reach.
    The other one is to take Route 7 out of Kearny, but this changes from a city street into a road straight ot of a Mad Max movie. It is simply not worth a life.
    Any other suggestions?

Tags:

2. vshin

vshin New Member

I suggest you try Trail Link.

I prefer the Saddle River Area Bikepath which runs about 9 miles. The other popular route (which is not on TrailLink) is Route 9W that starts in Englewood Cliffs a few miles from the GWB. It's a road route with a very wide shoulder for bicycles that has lots of gentle rolling hills and is fairly scenic. Some people have taken it all the way to Bear Mountain for a nice trip. I recommend you ride there with a friend because it's a fairly secluded area. If something happens to you they won't find your body for weeks.

Are you riding to Manhattan for some specific reason? If you simply want to ride for leisure the East and West side pathways are probably your best trails. Central Park is always crowded. To be honest, when I was living in Manhattan I always wanted to get out of the city to ride so it seems a little funny that you are going through so much trouble to get inside Manhattan to ride.

3. cliclista

cliclista New Member

I have gone to Route 9W a few times. It is a nice spot.

Sometimes I ride up to the George Washington Bridge from Newark, cross it, and come down on the west side path to Battery Park, and continue up the east side path. The reason: I just like Manhattan and everything that it offers.

I do not have an automobile, so I am a bit limited in the distance I can go to find a cool path, or better, an awesome trail.