Newb here....let the hazing begin

BnB

Apr 15, 2004
Hi all. I came across this site while during a search for a "Spinning" forum. This seemed to be the best start considering the other results I got (i.e. **** sites, sewing/weaving, and other oddball results).

To the point...
My wife is a spinning instructor at the local gym(s) here in town, and I put together the music for her rides.....she's internet/technically challenged. :D I've been put to the task of trying to find music for a "Cinco De Mayo" ride in a short amount of time. I don't see a forum here dealing specifically with spinning/group fitness, but I'm guessing there might be someone here that either teaches or knows of someone who teaches some sort of group fitness that can point me in the right direction. Due to the lack of Latin/Tejano radio stations here in southern Ohio ;) I'm not up on my Latin music. So, does anyone here know of a good spinning or group fitness forum other than Spinning.com (a Johnny G site which doesn't have a forum to my knowledge)? Maybe you know of another cycling/fitness forum that has a section on spinning and/or group fitness.

Thanks for any help. Maybe someday when I find time to blow the dust off my road and mountain bikes and put some air in the tires I'll be able to utilize what looks to be a very useful forum.

p.s. I will try and use the search function as well before some of the veteran members say, "use the search, noob." :D A sort of initiation ritual for first time posters....atleast it is on other forums I frequent.

Welcome :)

You might have some better luck in the Cycling Training forum..

Originally posted by BnB
...I will try and use the search function as well before some of the veteran members say, "use the search, noob."

Actually one of the nice things about cyclingforums.com is that this almost never happens. It's a very relaxed forum. I have seen forums where the senior members are just waiting to pounce on noobies but this is (usually) not one of them. Welcome!

Tell your wife to get a bike instead. Then you won't need to look for a spinning forum. Oh, and while you're at it, get yourself one too. Welcome, welcome. . .

Originally posted by Ratty
Tell your wife to get a bike instead. Then you won't need to look for a spinning forum. Oh, and while you're at it, get yourself one too. Welcome, welcome. . .

I have 2 bikes. 1 road bike (Raleigh) and 1 mt. bike (Univega). They just have a lot of dust on them. :) With 2 young kids, finding the time to get a good workout a few days a week is pretty difficult. Trying to get a good workout on a bike (outdoors anyway) would be even more difficult. Between me being home from work in the evening and the gym offering babysitting, it allows my wife to teach classes....and she gets paid for it which both her and I enjoy. Meaning she doesn't take from my wallet as much. ;)

Hazing??? We don't do that here! Now if you'll kindly put on this blindfold and bend over...

Originally posted by BnB
I have 2 bikes. 1 road bike (Raleigh) and 1 mt. bike (Univega). They just have a lot of dust on them. :)

Dust is good...protects the frame from hazardous alien rays meant to change the structure of your steel. :) Save humanity....don't wash your bike.

Welcome bnb, now get rid of the spinning things and get a bike and join the cult. Once you join you'll never go back. ha..ha..ha..ha.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
Actually one of the nice things about cyclingforums.com is that this almost never happens. It's a very relaxed forum. I have seen forums where the senior members are just waiting to pounce on noobies but this is (usually) not one of them. Welcome!

Agreed!

I feel this is because we spend a lot of time with cycling groups of people fron hugely different backgrounds, levels of affluence, skill, fittness and cycling experience. We're also usually passionate about bikes and cycling and don't mind sharing our experience and knowledge.

Here's a good example.

Last Sunday on a (small) group ride, one of my fellow cyclists, much fitter and much much lighter than me, turned back after climbing a tough hill to "pull" an obviously struggling and hurting me up the hill.

This wasn't out of pity, or showing off his cycling ability. It was that fact that he knew what it was like to grind up a hard hill and a little encouragement would get me to the top of a hill that I'd never conquered before.

spinning is fun but dam those machines can CRUNCH ur knees
nothing is betta than the real deal..
so look into getting a bike 8)

Spinning has its place in my winter training regimen, but I agree, the spin instructors I've seen know nothing about cycling, and most try to get the class to push against high resistance slooowly, while seated, which is bad for the knees. I just stand up and pound away and don't say anything to anyone unless they ask.