Newb here...

fishrising

Jun 20, 2006
Hi All,

I just re-discovered road biking after a 15+ year hiatus, I am now 33 years old. I just bought a 63cm Trek 2100 and Ksyrium SL wheels, see my pics below...it's got a mix of 105, Ultegra and Cane Creek...

I am 6'7" and 275 pounds. My main goal is to get back in shape and lose at least 30+ pounds. I am an ex-college athlete who is too far out of shape...and I need to keep up with my 21 month old daughter. I bought her a Trek Go-Bug trailer too, but no pics yet...

Comments and advice for a newb getting back in shape are welcome! Thanks...

P6204158.JPG

P6204173.JPG

P6204167.JPG

P6204181.JPG

Nice bike, glad to hear you're getting into cycling. I know this sounds so obvious, but the best way to lose weight is to simply ride. Don't burn yourself out too early by trying to do long climbs or 40 mile rides, but just take it easy at first and slowly build up your speed and distance.

I'd also check around to see if any LBSs in your area sponsor group rides which would fit your skill level b/c I find (IMO) that riding in groups is often more fun than riding by yourself.

fishrising said:
Hi All,

I just re-discovered road biking after a 15+ year hiatus, I am now 33 years old. I just bought a 63cm Trek 2100 and Ksyrium SL wheels, see my pics below...it's got a mix of 105, Ultegra and Cane Creek...

I am 6'7" and 275 pounds. My main goal is to get back in shape and lose at least 30+ pounds. I am an ex-college athlete who is too far out of shape...and I need to keep up with my 21 month old daughter. I bought her a Trek Go-Bug trailer too, but no pics yet...

Comments and advice for a newb getting back in shape are welcome! Thanks...

P6204158.JPG

P6204181.JPG
Nice wheels ... NICE BIKE.

Your wheels are MAVIC Ksyrium SSC SL2 ... very nice ... you'll want to buy the METAL version of the spoke wrench. You may never need to service the wheels ... but, if you (or, a friend) ever need to true the wheels, you will find the plastic spoke wrench which came with the wheelset to be a "disposable" item ...

The MAVIC skewers always seemed a bit porky to me ... you may want to replace them with Shimano skewers (which are better, even skewers from the cheapest Shimano hubsets).

Wear a helmet ... ride on the RIGHT side of the road ...

Maybe, buy a helmet for your daughter, too, even though she will be sitting in the trailer.

I always wear a helmet, and I bought a new one for my daughter too...and thanks for the tip on the spoke wrench and skewers too!