newb question...

the cyclops

Jul 25, 2010
1st off I am a newbie to cycling,but have been into fitness my whole life and a competitive runner for 3 years.I am happy to be here and I hope this question does not sound "cocky" as I am a very humble person,so here goes...
OK as I mentioned before have been a runner for a while(not the fastest,but my endurance is great) and recently started cycling to explore some other cardio outlets.I have a 15 year old nishiki hybrid which is laughable compared to some of the other bikes I have been riding with.I have noticed upon riding with a group a few times and some other cyclist's I have rode with,that I am having VERY little trouble keeping up with or even leaving some of these guys(and gals) that are far more experienced and on ALOT better bikes designed for this sport.Again I have never been the fastest at running but cycling seems to be coming so easy to me, so the question is what is one of the best natural attributes to have as a cyclist?( ie;a marksman needs good eye sight, a gymnast needs good core strength,etc)...Now I have known my whole life that I inherited HUGE thighs and quads from my father(even though I am only 155lbs) so I'm just trying to figure out if I have some natural,physical attribute that is helping me be competitive as a newbie cyclist (because as much as I love running,have still not gotten "fast"),or is my few years of running just carrying over into cycling?...well thanks for listening to my ramblings and thanks for having me!!!!

Well I would just say that definitely you're running legs will help you for the most part, although cycling requires other muscles too of course, and also these massive thighs you say you have will again definitely help, kinda like some people have dancers legs i guess haha :cool:

G. Richard said:
Well I would just say that definitely you're running legs will help you for the most part, although cycling requires other muscles too of course, and also these massive thighs you say you have will again definitely help, kinda like some people have dancers legs i guess haha :cool:
Well thanks for the input.I just find it baffling that for almost 3 years,I have trained so hard to get fast at running,and have made improvements,but no where near where I think I should be when you take in account how much I train and how I clean I eat.And now it seems like Im taking to cycling like a fish outta water...well cant wait to see where I am at in a few more years,lol...Always a runner 1st though,no matter how much I enjoy biking,always my 1st love will be running.:)

blankcarbon_ian said:
A high pain threshold never hurt anybody...
LOL,Well my longest ride so far has been around 50 miles,so I havent reached any severe pain yet,but Im sure that would help.