Newb to Rollers - Help?

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
Someone on my street recently game me their hardly used Taxc Eco Track rollers ( :) ). I haven't tried them out yet (or any other rollers in the past), other than positioning my bike on them and confirming that the position is fine (as per what I've read), but to start with, I found it very difficult to even mount the bike due to the extra few inches the bike is off the ground.

Does anyone have tips for using rollers? I've read that you start off in a doorway, so you have something to hold onto in case you tip, but other than using a step stool, I'm not even sure how to jump on the bike, or get off without hurting myself (can't always be in a doorway).

noonievut said:
...I found it very difficult to even mount the bike due to the extra few inches the bike is off the ground.

Does anyone have tips for using rollers? I've read that you start off in a doorway, so you have something to hold onto in case you tip, but other than using a step stool, I'm not even sure how to jump on the bike, or get off without hurting myself (can't always be in a doorway).

Yeah, the stool helps, and something high that you can reach with your hands once you're on the bike is even more important. I ride my rollers in the garage next to my car (on the left side). I put my right hand on the window to steady myself as I put my right leg on the side-rail of the rollers. I grab the front-brake and squeeze to hold the bike steady on the rollers. Then lean on the right arm a little as I throw my left leg over the bike and into the pedal >click<. Then I push off my right-arm to center my body-weight over the saddle. Then put the right leg in >click<. keep the right arm on the car to keep steady and centered over the rollers but don't lean on it, all the weight should be centered over the bike. Then start pushing on the pedals. Release the front brake and you're moving. Once you're got some speed going, gradually pull the right arm in and put it on the bars.

I've also done this steadying-with-the-arm thing next to a washing machine which works the same way. It's high enough that I can still use it to steady myself once I'm on the bike.

My rollers are smack dab in the middle of my living room facing the TV. Once you get used to the rollers, you don't even need a wall or stool. The secret is to put the bike in high gear and click in, give one good downward stroke and sit on the saddle, pedal a few times to steady yourself and then click in with the other foot.

In all honesty, I feel that a wall is better than a door way to start out, you just need to remember to bail towards the wall if you need to. When I first started out, I used a wall, and concentrated on fast spinning. Slow powerfull strokes can rock you right off the rollers. Don't steer with your arms or bars, steer with your hips and body weight. Don't concentrate on the rollers, but you should see or know where you are on the rollers by your peripheral vision.

Rollers will increase your smoothness and your ability to ride in a straight line. On club rides I practice riding on the white painted line on the streets, it's fun. A year ago i had a terrible time stryin gon the paint, now i can ride on the paint for a relatively long distance. It's kind of a fun thing to notice....

I stayed with a family friend a while back for a week, and the husband was really into cycling at one point (when he came back from his tour of duty in Japan a number of years ago, he had 8 rather expensive bikes, all except one of which have been sold), and still rides as much as he can.

This guy had probably the best idea I've seen in a while. He took the front wheel off the bike, and mounted the fork to a stand. The rear wheels sits on the roller, obviously. It's very stable, and while you won't develop the kind of balance mentioned above, it's much safer.

Thanks for the advice.

I planned on riding in my rec room which happens to be where my washer/dryer are located, so I can use that for stability. I also have the car in garage idea (tight, but not too tight). Alternatively, I may see if I can get the stand for the front fork, as I know this is available for my unit.

noonievut said:
Thanks for the advice.

I planned on riding in my rec room which happens to be where my washer/dryer are located, so I can use that for stability. I also have the car in garage idea (tight, but not too tight). Alternatively, I may see if I can get the stand for the front fork, as I know this is available for my unit.
When I started out with my rollers, I set them up right next to a wall so that I could lean my shoulder against it. That helped me get used to having both hands on the bars. It also helps if you have something to look at. Set up facing a tv, or anything else that's not a blank wall. Focus your eys on one spot, and make sure it stays in the same place. It's natural to want to look down to make sure you're centered on the rollers, but when you're first starting out this ends up being really disorienting.

noonievut said:
Thanks for the advice.

Resist all urges to get the fork mount.... Don't do it man, it's just wrong... Riding on rollers is one of my favorite indoor training activities, using the rear wheel trainers is really boooooooring and has a disconnected feeling. This is what will happen if you get a fork mount. Just try to steer with your body weight and not by turning the bars too much. Stay in the middle of the rollers and if you ride off then side, you will not shoot forward or anything, injury due to a roller crash is unlikely as you're not moving at any speed.

noonievut said:
Someone on my street recently game me their hardly used Taxc Eco Track rollers ( :) ). I haven't tried them out yet (or any other rollers in the past), other than positioning my bike on them and confirming that the position is fine (as per what I've read), but to start with, I found it very difficult to even mount the bike due to the extra few inches the bike is off the ground.

If you find you hate rollers, I'll take 'em! :D I've wanted a set for a few years now, but I can't afford them. Does anybody know if you can make them?

When I was younger and raced, I had a set of junky pvc rollers that were warped and gave me a rattle at high speed on the back end. I still rode them though and very much preferred them to fork mount trainers.

The trainers I felt, were like sitting on an exercise machine at the gym. No feel or balance involved. More like a piece of furniture. Rollers made the bike come alive. When you can ride comfortably no hands, you'll know you are reaping the benefits. They get you smoooooooooth.