NewBalance Rep

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Frank-In-Toront, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. This wek we have a new balance rep where i work. i spoke a bit with him and mentioned i have a
    little pain just under the patella, and once i had bad ITB pain too. the discussion covered that i
    am a beginner runner (around 15 or so miles per week) and ball/heel. my running is 50/50 treadmill
    or concrete/asphalt.

    he said i SHOULD be a heel striker and showed me a new balance running shoe with the wedge shape at
    the rear to cushion the heel on strike and the rolling outline of the sole. he said the pain just
    under my kneecap probably comes from not enough cushion under the ball in my outdoor running shoes.

    i'll be talking with him more this week and i'll get a recommendation of which new balance shoe will
    be for me.

    but this heel-striker business has me concerned. it goes against everything i've read. any thoughts?
    i don't want to be confrontational with him, i just want to be able to discuss this issue properly.
    i don't expect to be a heel striker anyway, but this'll mean his shoe recommendation isn't worth
    much to me.

    thanks for any advice...thehick

    Tags:

  2. Practically everyone is a heel striker. Mind you, read Ozzie G's stuff and see what you think ...
    Jonathan "frank-in-toronto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This wek we have a new balance rep where i work. i spoke a bit with him and mentioned i have a
    > little pain just under the patella, and once i had bad ITB pain too. the discussion covered that i
    > am a beginner runner (around 15 or so miles per week) and ball/heel. my running is 50/50 treadmill
    > or concrete/asphalt.
    >
    > he said i SHOULD be a heel striker and showed me a new balance running shoe with the wedge shape
    > at the rear to cushion the heel on strike and the rolling outline of the sole. he said the pain
    > just under my kneecap probably comes from not enough cushion under the ball in my outdoor
    > running shoes.
    >
    > i'll be talking with him more this week and i'll get a recommendation of which new balance shoe
    > will be for me.
    >
    > but this heel-striker business has me concerned. it goes against everything i've read. any
    > thoughts? i don't want to be confrontational with him, i just want to be able to discuss this
    > issue properly. i don't expect to be a heel striker anyway, but this'll mean his shoe
    > recommendation isn't worth much to me.
    >
    > thanks for any advice...thehick

  3. Bagpipp

    Bagpipp Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:44:22 -0400, frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This wek we have a new balance rep where i work. i spoke a bit with him and mentioned i have a
    >little pain just under the patella, and once i had bad ITB pain too. the discussion covered that i
    >am a beginner runner (around 15 or so miles per week) and ball/heel. my running is 50/50 treadmill
    >or concrete/asphalt.
    >
    >he said i SHOULD be a heel striker

    Buzzers and bells should be going off in your head. The guy is a jerk, moron, incompetent, or
    all three. ANYONE who'd say this is a fool. Omit everything he told you, and go get a pair of
    Asics 2080's.

    >and showed me a new balance running shoe with the wedge shape at the rear to cushion the heel on
    >strike and the rolling outline of the sole. he said the pain just under my kneecap probably comes
    >from not enough cushion under the ball in my outdoor running shoes.
    >
    >i'll be talking with him more this week and i'll get a recommendation of which new balance shoe
    >will be for me.
    >
    >but this heel-striker business has me concerned. it goes against everything i've read. any
    >thoughts? i don't want to be confrontational with him, i just want to be able to discuss this issue
    >properly. i don't expect to be a heel striker anyway, but this'll mean his shoe recommendation
    >isn't worth much to me.

    His advice is as useful as any other salesman whose trying to sell you his line of shoes, in other
    words it's just BS.

  4. My advice is to re-read your first sentence "a new balance rep" The make is not important, but the
    fact he is a rep is and that defines his impartial look at things. He sells shoes. He sells one
    brand of shoes. He has an agenda.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "frank-in-toronto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This wek we have a new balance rep where i work. i spoke a bit with him and mentioned i have a
    > little pain just under the patella, and once i had bad ITB pain too. the discussion covered that i
    > am a beginner runner (around 15 or so miles per week) and ball/heel. my running is 50/50 treadmill
    > or concrete/asphalt.
    >
    > he said i SHOULD be a heel striker and showed me a new balance running shoe with the wedge shape
    > at the rear to cushion the heel on strike and the rolling outline of the sole. he said the pain
    > just under my kneecap probably comes from not enough cushion under the ball in my outdoor
    > running shoes.
    >
    > i'll be talking with him more this week and i'll get a recommendation of which new balance shoe
    > will be for me.
    >
    > but this heel-striker business has me concerned. it goes against everything i've read. any
    > thoughts? i don't want to be confrontational with him, i just want to be able to discuss this
    > issue properly. i don't expect to be a heel striker anyway, but this'll mean his shoe
    > recommendation isn't worth much to me.
    >
    > thanks for any advice...thehick

  5. Tb

    Tb Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:14:11 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My advice is to re-read your first sentence "a new balance rep" The make is not important, but
    > the fact he is a rep is and that defines his impartial look at things. He sells shoes. He sells
    > one brand of shoes. He has an agenda.

    Joe is ABSOLUTELY correct. When a vacuum cleaner salesman tells you his vac is the only one that'll
    work for you, do you believe him?

  6. In article <[email protected]>, Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > My advice is to re-read your first sentence "a new balance rep" The make is not important, but
    > the fact he is a rep is and that defines his impartial look at things. He sells shoes. He
    > sells one brand of shoes. He has an agenda.

    So what ? As we all know, every brand of shoe, including NB, has a broad lineup including shoes for
    heavy runners, shoes for light runners, shoes for overpronators, etc. The fact that the guy *will*
    pick out a NB shoe does not mean that the shoe he picks will be incorrect. Most runners should be
    able to find at least one suitable shoe from almost any of the main brands.

    Cheers,

  7. TheBagpimp

    TheBagpimp Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:17:52 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So what ?

    It's a BIG "so what" you moron. The guy has no problems, but this guy is attempting to tell him he
    'SHOULD BE' a heel striker, and he has 'just the shoe for him'. That's a big difference from someone
    at a store with a huge selection at their disposal. Will he find an adequit shoe in the NB line?
    Possibly (but I never have found an NB shoe I could even walk in, nevermind run in) but it won't
    neccasarily be the best shoe for him.

    >As we all know, every brand of shoe, including NB, has a broad lineup including shoes for heavy
    >runners, shoes for light runners, shoes for overpronators, etc.

    True, but almost all shoes in most brands will have similarities, like the marble-sized lump in my
    midfoot I feel whenever I have tried on any pair of NB.

    >The fact that the guy *will* pick out a NB shoe does not mean that the shoe he picks will be
    >incorrect.

    Read above, and stop bitchin Rebitchy.

    > Most runners should be able to find at least one suitable shoe from almost any of the main brands.

    Simply pure BS. Read above.

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:17:52 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>So what ?
    >
    > It's a BIG "so what" you moron. The guy has no problems, but this guy is attempting to tell him he
    > 'SHOULD BE' a heel striker,

    It's certainly no more stupid than blindly recommending the Asics 2080 to everyone.

    > and he has 'just the shoe for him'. That's a big difference from someone at a store with a huge
    > selection at their disposal. Will he find an adequit shoe in the NB line? Possibly (but I never
    > have found an NB shoe I could even walk in, nevermind run in) but it won't neccasarily be the best
    > shoe for him.

    I'm not even sure what "the best shoe" means. I've worn a number of different shoes in brands
    including NB, Mizuno, Saucony and Asics. I wouldn't call any of them "the best" shoe.

    > True, but almost all shoes in most brands will have similarities, like

    No they don't. For example, it often happens that different lines in the same brand have different
    width toe boxes. This can be intentional (as in
    NB where they build some shoes on a last with a wide toebox) or it can be a side-effect of the way
    the uppers are put together.

    > the marble-sized lump in my midfoot I feel whenever I have tried on any pair of NB.

    This'll be good -- which models have you tried on ? All of them ?

    Cheers,

  9. On 2003-10-20, frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:
    > but this heel-striker business has me concerned. it goes against everything i've read. any
    > thoughts? i don't want to be confrontational with him, i just want to be able to discuss this
    > issue properly. i don't expect to be a heel striker anyway, but this'll mean his shoe
    > recommendation isn't worth much to me.

    Tell him to take off his shoes, run in place, and show how to land on the heel. He can't for any
    time worth talking about.

    The natural way is to land ball/heel to have the legs absorb the energy.

  10. More Bulshit

    More Bulshit Guest

    has the probe of ball heal strike or placement. Try landing below your center of gravity. (cog)
    landing on ball there. Temple run.( example. start tread mill at 5 mpr (miles per hour or speed ).
    and jog for 10
    min. then raise a 1/2 mpr every 5 min. till 7 mpr. and then slowly back down to 5 mpr. ) very your
    own time. see if this helps. put incline to 1 up on mill too. or get some thick sole gels and
    cut off front part. for heel part. mess with ball area probe get blister. white nylon men sock
    under sweat sock might help[ no panty hose now man don't get weird.. try to stay focus. try to
    breeth throught the nose in a good rythem like 3/4 this is 3 in throught the nose and 4 out
    throught the nose. like sighting a gun and you want to breath in a full. and then slowly hafe
    breath out. this well keep you calm to prevent any injuries. tread mill in public places you
    well fine alot of spooking to you well be done. try to make you un relaxs for many reasons. try
    to stay focus on your goal to learn the right foot placement style and form. like learning to
    ride a bike. once you has balance. the skies the limit. good luck.

  11. On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:04:40 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:17:52 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>So what ?
    >>
    >> It's a BIG "so what" you moron. The guy has no problems, but this guy is attempting to tell him
    >> he 'SHOULD BE' a heel striker,
    >
    >It's certainly no more stupid than blindly recommending the Asics 2080 to everyone.
    yeah. that was a good one.

    i spoke for about half an hour with him today. he checked my shoes i wear presently (an old nike and
    an older reebok racer). we discussed support and, yes, he did recommend a NB model for me to try. I
    saw him on the phone trying to get me a pair to go run in. didn't work out as they are out-of-stock
    of my size right now.

    he actually showed me by the wear on my shoes that i am a heel striker. so, perhaps, for my current
    running style and level of fitness and mpw, his recommendation may be ok.

    i'll be seeing him again this week. thanks for the advice. ..thehick

  12. Jeru

    Jeru Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:07:40 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Do you find that those who change their name every time the leave a message, lack credibility.

    I've found recent studys to be very indicative of a thoraxian metacomical poriasis, and sometimes
    contrary to the laws of jerubian subcultures. Do you agree? If so you know I am correct.

  13. Jeru

    Jeru Guest

    >On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:07:40 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Do you find that those who change their name every time the leave a message, lack credibility.

    Actually quite the opposite is true Joe. You see with so many personalities one of them is bound to
    be right, whereas the average joe (nothing personal) only gives one opinion and that's it. I'm doing
    you a favor. Lets take a vote, and if anyone objects to this practice I will cease.

    Does my changing ID's often annoy, bother, or piss you off in any way? Vote Yes or No. I'll wait 3
    days before tallying thew results.

  14. In article <[email protected]>, Jeru wrote:

    >>On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:07:40 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do you find that those who change their name every time the leave a message, lack
    >>> credibility.
    >>
    > Actually quite the opposite is true Joe. You see with so many personalities one of them is bound
    > to be right, whereas the average joe (nothing personal) only gives one opinion and that's it. I'm
    > doing you a favor. Lets take a vote,

    Can I vote multiple times under different ids ? That way, you'll get "many personalities" voting.
    Gotta get a consensus, huh ?

    > and if anyone objects to this practice I will cease.

    I object. Therefore, you will cease, right ?

  15. Jeru

    Jeru Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:23:39 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can I vote multiple times under different ids ? That way, you'll get "many personalities" voting.
    >Gotta get a consensus, huh ?

    No it doesn't work that way, first off they can't all agree, secondly, your vote doesn't count
    whereas mine does.

    >> and if anyone objects to this practice I will cease.
    >
    >I object. Therefore, you will cease, right ?

    We must wait for the votes to be counted before the majority has spoken. And yes you can vote
    multiple times.

  16. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Povl H. Pedersen wrote:
    > On 2003-10-20, frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> but this heel-striker business has me concerned. it goes against everything i've read. any
    >> thoughts? i don't want to be confrontational with him, i just want to be able to discuss this
    >> issue properly. i don't expect to be a heel striker anyway, but this'll mean his shoe
    >> recommendation isn't worth much to me.
    >
    > Tell him to take off his shoes, run in place, and show how to land on the heel. He can't for any
    > time worth talking about.

    What on earth has running in place got to do with real running???? This argument has as much
    relevance as saying that because we heel strike when we walk forwards, heel striking must be the
    *only* way to run.

    Nonsensical in both cases.

    Tim
    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email.

  17. Club Orange

    Club Orange Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, bagpipp wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:44:22 -0400, frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>This wek we have a new balance rep where i work. i spoke a bit with him and mentioned i have a
    >>little pain just under the patella, and once i had bad ITB pain too. the discussion covered that i
    >>am a beginner runner (around 15 or so miles per week) and ball/heel. my running is 50/50 treadmill
    >>or concrete/asphalt.
    >>
    >>he said i SHOULD be a heel striker
    >

    > Buzzers and bells should be going off in your head. The guy is a jerk, moron, incompetent, or
    > all three. ANYONE who'd say this is a fool. Omit everything he told you, and go get a pair of
    > Asics 2080's.

    Personally I find the 2080 lacks alot in comparision to the 2070 and I'm staying out of my 2080s.
    They just not as nice a shoe.

  18. Only a jogger would find a shoe salesman to be his new Messiah.

  19. On 2003-10-22, Tim Downie <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Povl H. Pedersen wrote:
    >> On 2003-10-20, frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> but this heel-striker business has me concerned. it goes against everything i've read. any
    >>> thoughts? i don't want to be confrontational with him, i just want to be able to discuss this
    >>> issue properly. i don't expect to be a heel striker anyway, but this'll mean his shoe
    >>> recommendation isn't worth much to me.
    >>
    >> Tell him to take off his shoes, run in place, and show how to land on the heel. He can't for any
    >> time worth talking about.
    >
    > What on earth has running in place got to do with real running???? This argument has as much
    > relevance as saying that because we heel strike when we walk forwards, heel striking must be the
    > *only* way to run.
    >
    > Nonsensical in both cases.

    Running in place shows that your body is designed so that it can do pretty good without artificial
    shock absorbers.

    Try running barefeet then. Is it natural to land on the heel ? You don't have enough cusion there,
    so you will often land further forward if the is no tech to counteract nature.