Newbie – Need direction / advice

Krishna Sriniva

Guest
Hi All,

I am new to running (been running for about a month now) and just love my 45 minute workout in the
sweet summer evening. Am looking to loose weight and feel good in general. Would like to know if I
am on the right path.

1. I start off with a brisk 1 kilometer walk followed by a kilometer of slow running (or should I
say jog), a kilometer of brisk walking, another kilometer of running and end it with the last
kilometer walk
2. The session lasts 45 minutes, averaging 9 minutes a kilometer
3. I run on a asphalted road that includes a gradual climb (about half a kilometer)
4. On reaching home I get a glass of cold lemonade and am alive again
5. I don't stretch before or after the workout. Am guessing working all day takes care of that

Is what I am doing adequate and how can I build on this?

Krishna Srinivasan.

Krishna Srinivasan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to running (been running for about a month now) and just love my 45 minute workout in the
> sweet summer evening. Am looking to loose weight and feel good in general. Would like to know if I
> am on the right path.
>
> 1. I start off with a brisk 1 kilometer walk followed by a kilometer of slow running (or should I
> say jog), a kilometer of brisk walking, another kilometer of running and end it with the last
> kilometer walk
> 2. The session lasts 45 minutes, averaging 9 minutes a kilometer
> 3. I run on a asphalted road that includes a gradual climb (about half a kilometer)
> 4. On reaching home I get a glass of cold lemonade and am alive again
> 5. I don't stretch before or after the workout. Am guessing working all day takes care of that
>
> Is what I am doing adequate and how can I build on this?
>
> Krishna Srinivasan.

You are starting well. 45minutes is a long time for a beginner, but mixing running and walking is
the right approach. Some suggestions:

Pick one of the days you run and make the time shorter, 30minutes. Try to recude the time you spend
walking during that session. The goal is to eventually have you running for the full 30minutes.

Working is not stretching (unless maybe your work is teaching yoga?). You'll benefit best by
stretching when the muscles have been warmed up, IOW, after your run.

Start a log of your runs. nothing fancy is required, but this can help motivate you when you need
it. just record the basics, time and/or distance, maybe weather conditions, and any thoughts you
want to remember.

Enjoy the run.

--
Ed Prochak running: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/ family:
http://web.magicinterface.com/~collins

> > Is what I am doing adequate and how can I build on this?
> >
> > Krishna Srinivasan.

Sounds like a great program.

Increasing variance, day to day, week to week and month to month, becomes most important if you
decide to push your limits. Some folks do the same routine day after day after day and this does not
allow for the recovery essential to improve.

You could find a park for running and walking on grass, dirt, gravel or other natural trail whenever
you can or for special occasions, especially if you decide to add to your workload. Use time rather
than distance to track your effort on unmeasured courses.

You are doing good, keep it up,,But you should Stretch some,,,,Jerry

Ed Prochak <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> You are starting well. 45minutes is a long time for a beginner, but mixing running and walking is
> the right approach. Some suggestions:
>
> Pick one of the days you run and make the time shorter, 30minutes. Try to recude the time you
> spend walking during that session. The goal is to eventually have you running for the full
> 30minutes.
>
> Working is not stretching (unless maybe your work is teaching yoga?). You'll benefit best by
> stretching when the muscles have been warmed up, IOW, after your run.
>
> Start a log of your runs. nothing fancy is required, but this can help motivate you when you need
> it. just record the basics, time and/or distance, maybe weather conditions, and any thoughts you
> want to remember.
>
> Enjoy the run.
>
> --
> Ed Prochak running: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/ family:
> http://web.magicinterface.com/~collins

Can you detail what kind of stretching is required at this point? Maybe a mention the routines that
need to be performed and their respective durations.

Thanks, Krishna Srinivasan.

Y should you onli stretch after running???

news:[email protected]...