Newbie - advice req'd on Buying a bike and getting fit



Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tenex

Guest
[If this is the wrong group, please point me to a more appropriate one; for some reason this post is
showing up so apologies if it's repeated]

Trepidation here as I know nothing about bikes - mountain or otherwise.

I'm bored with the gym (hate exercising indoors) and I'm thinking of getting a bike but haven't a
clue what's best. As I will only use this for recreation and infrequently so I don't want to spend
more than I have to. Add the fact I live on a bl**dy steep hill and everywhere I want to go is up
the hill!!

It'll mainly be used on city streets but maybe the odd out of town session in a country park would
be possible. So should it be a road bike a hybrid or a hard tail? Bear in mind I have only a passing
idea of the different types of bike. Advice appreciated.

PART 2 (The worst bit?) How do I go about getting fit enough not to embarrass myself? I dread the
thought of getting the bike out and pushing it up the hill (and believe me fit cyclists often
struggle past on this hill), so I'm going to put this in the car and drive somewhere flatter until I
get a little "bike fit". How do I build my fitness and is there anything I can do in the gym that
will be of benefit? What should my targets be (aside from avoiding cardiac arrest)?

Thanks
 
T

Tony W

Guest
"Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [If this is the wrong group, please point me to a more appropriate one; for some reason this post
> is showing up so apologies if it's repeated]
>
>
>
> Trepidation here as I know nothing about bikes - mountain or otherwise.
>
> I'm bored with the gym (hate exercising indoors) and I'm thinking of
getting
> a bike but haven't a clue what's best. As I will only use this for recreation and infrequently so
> I don't want to spend more than I have to. Add the fact I live on a bl**dy steep hill and
> everywhere I want to go is
up
> the hill!!
>
> It'll mainly be used on city streets but maybe the odd out of town session in a country park would
> be possible. So should it be a road bike a hybrid or a hard tail? Bear in mind I have only a
> passing idea of the different types of bike. Advice appreciated.
>
>
> PART 2 (The worst bit?) How do I go about getting fit enough not to embarrass myself? I dread the
> thought of getting the bike out and pushing it up the hill (and believe me fit cyclists often
> struggle past on this hill), so
I'm
> going to put this in the car and drive somewhere flatter until I get a little "bike fit". How do I
> build my fitness and is there anything I can do in the gym that will be of benefit? What should my
> targets be (aside from avoiding
cardiac
> arrest)?

If you are only planning to use the bike 'infrequently' it is probably best to save your money.
If you want to get fit than you will need to ride fairly regularly. 3 or 4 times a week would be
good -- not for great distances -- 5 to 10 miles is a good start perhaps with something longer at
the weekends.

Hills are what gears are for. With the right gears you can go up anything (well almost).

Unless you are well endowed in the wallet department a good mid range hybrid or hardtail (modified
with street/towpath tyres) would be a good start. Probably best to avoid the 69.99 GBP Safeway
specials but there are good options around 200 - 250 notes.

Second hand is always a good option. Most bikes lay neglected in garages -- maybe you remember a
mate boasting he had just bought something last year but have never seen him on it.

Cycle for the fun of it not to get fit. Relative fitness will follow fairly quickly. If you are
looking to shed a few pounds -- that should happen -- but it can take longer than you hope. I've
cycled for years. I'm still stubbornly tubby and lose relatively little weight unless I am touring
and cycling 50+ miles a day. But, I am fairly fit (so my quack says).

T
 
T

Tenex

Guest
Tony W wrote:
> news:[email protected]... If you are only planning to use the bike
> 'infrequently' it is probably best to save your money. If you want to get fit than you will need
> to ride fairly regularly. 3 or 4 times a week would be good -- not for great distances -- 5 to 10
> miles is a good start perhaps with something longer at the weekends.

10 miles sounds like a marathon at this time!

> Unless you are well endowed in the wallet department a good mid range hybrid or hardtail (modified
> with street/towpath tyres) would be a good start. Probably best to avoid the 69.99 GBP Safeway
> specials but there are good options around 200 - 250 notes.

Any makes or models you'd recommend?

> Second hand is always a good option. Most bikes lay neglected in garages -- maybe you remember a
> mate boasting he had just bought something last year but have never seen him on it.

I know nothing about the technology so I'd rather ruled out secondhand.

Thanks for the reply
 

jacobxray

New Member
Apr 25, 2003
52
0
0
50
i am also quite new to cycling (well coming back after a long break). about 6months ago i got a Specialized, commuter style bike, from the sirrus range. about 300GBP. its good on the road and can handle slightly rough park trails, but not proper off road. i love it. i mainly use it as a commuter, but it's fine for a longer weekend cycle, and would probably stand up to touring. it's quite light and all the components are holding up well. apart from the back wheel which buckled and had to be replaced. still i'd recommend it to anyone who wants similar use out of a bike.

as for fitness, i struggled to begin with. i too live at the bottom of a valley, hills all directions. i got up the f***er eventually and it was a good challenge, and gears do help a lot!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.