Newbie Alert : Need help on Saddles, Shoes, Cyclocomputer

jackchoo

Mar 6, 2006
Hi,

I just got a 2nd hand ride (GT XTR 2.0 w/ Ultegra 10spd groupo) and hope to rekindle the sport that I like so much back in my teenage years. However, I've lost touch for over 15 years so I am really back in the middle ages!

I need some recommendation on (I'm really on a tight budget...)

1. Saddle : I'm about 90kg and 6ft....my current seat is killing my (and quite possibly by future generations...). I don't think I'll be doing any cycling > 3hrs though...

2. Cyclocomputer : Wireless.

3. Shoes : never used clipless before. Mine is a look pp396. Can I get any clipless show from any brand (shimano, DMT etc)? Only the cleats are different right?

Hope you can help ease my decision making....Thanks!!:)

jackchoo said:
1. Saddle : I'm about 90kg and 6ft....my current seat is killing my (and quite possibly by future generations...). I don't think I'll be doing any cycling > 3hrs though...
Saddles are a personal thing; what works for me may not work for you. Your best bet is to go to a friendly local bike store (the place you bought the bike?) ... quite often they'll have a few saddles lying around that you can try out for a bit to see how they go.

2. Cyclocomputer : Wireless.
Whichever one does what you need, and is on special :p If you live in an area with areas of high radio interference sources (HV power lines, streetcars/trams, etc.) I'd suggest you go for a normal wired computer rather than a wireless one.

Unless you get into the super duper HRM-data-logging-altimeter-NASA-could-only-wish-they-could-afford-this type computers, the basic speed/distance/time cycle computers are all very similar in functionality. The main differences between they cheapy ones and more expensive ones tend to be;

* backlit screen
* better build quality/ruggedness (say for mountain bikes)
* more readable digits/larger display
* ability to store two wheel sizes, so you can use it on two bikes

Perhaps the biggest "what feature?" question for a modest computer is that of a cadence meter. This is a useful training tool to ensure you work on keeping your cadence up, but after you've "trained" your legs to be used to a high cadence, it tends to be of lesser value.

On the topic of wireless sensor interference, some say they have a "coding" feature to minimise interference, but what they are referring to is interference between different wireless computers, not a wireless computer vs. errant interference from a 250KV high voltage power line.

3. Shoes : never used clipless before. Mine is a look pp396. Can I get any clipless show from any brand (shimano, DMT etc)? Only the cleats are different right?
A Look PP396 pedal would take a standard Look Delta cleat (note: not a Look Keo cleat), which attaches using the "road standard" 3-bolt pattern.

Just about every road-bike shoe will work with them. Best to try a few different shoes to see how they feel, some brands are wider than others, etc.