Newbie and training

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by sunfire67, Jul 11, 2005.

1. sunfire67

sunfire67 New Member

I am a newbie to cycling and have just started this summer, I am 32 196lbs. My rides have been only been around 30-40mins and covering a distance between 15-20kms, and my average speed is around 27kph. Hopefully will get longer!!!

I've have been trying to do heart rate training and have figured my max heart rate to be 188. When I have been cycling my heart rate average is around 170, to me this seems a little high, if I slow down my heart rate drops but I don't feel like I'm getting a work out. When I have to climb a hill my rate rate jumps to the 180's and if it is a real steep hill into the low 190's and I have to stop and rest because I get exhausted.

Can anyone help me with what type of trainging I should be doing and the speeds and heart rates I should stay around.

Thanks Dave (Waterdown, ON)

Tags:

2. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

If you can get into the low 190's going up a hill, then 188 isn't really your max heart rate.

What are your goals? What are you training for specifically? We don't know what that is.

Your training should reflect what it is that you want to accomplish.

3. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

It looks as though you computed your max HR with the formula 220 - age. But, clearly your max HR is higher than that if you're getting into the 190s just climbing a hill. That formula is a first approximation and many people don't fit the formula. As Dr. M said, you should define some training objectives (century, racing, losing weight, chasing dogs, ...???) before anyone can offer much help. But, you're not going to hurt yourself if you ride up to a couple of hours a day at a HR of 75% of your first estimate of your max HR. This is on the low side, but that's fine. You'll begin to develop some endurance, your seat will toughen up and you'll see how you like it. If your HR gets up much above that number, drop into a smaller gear. If you drop into the smallest gear and your HR is still significantly above that number, you're climbing a hill that's a bit steep for your present conditioning. When you have more specific training objectives, I'm sure you'll get more help.