Newbie asks model recommendation - and hybrid vs. road for commute and rec.

Newbie question:
Am about to embark on a bike commute to work.
Route is appx 6 mi. one way, 80% paved, 20% gravel, mud, tree roots,
sand. One monster hill for about 1.5 miles at the end.
I plan on starting at about 2-3 days per week.
Safety trumps speed for me.
I, yes, geek that I am, I will be using some sidewalks to
start/build confidence.
Bike will also be used for light errand runs and recreational
use on about 80% paved paths.
I need an upright position and comfy seat.
Prefer ladies frame, 21" or more, but not a dealbreaker.
Am looking at Giant Cypress line or Sedona line.
· Not sure which model to get within each series.

Questions are:

· what's the cutoff for road vs. hybrid? My gut says get the
hybrid..but wanted opinions.
· do panniers cut at ankles?
· do single panniers throw off balance?
· Jandd seems like a good brand. Any experiences?
· how long do brakes generally last?
· does the shifter in the cypress vary from the Sedona?
· is kryptonite still the best lock?

thanks for your time and specific model recommendations.

[email protected] wrote:

> Questions are:
>
> · what's the cutoff for road vs. hybrid? My gut says get the
> hybrid..but wanted opinions.
> · do panniers cut at ankles?
> · do single panniers throw off balance?
> · Jandd seems like a good brand. Any experiences?
> · how long do brakes generally last?
> · does the shifter in the cypress vary from the Sedona?
> · is kryptonite still the best lock?
>
> thanks for your time and specific model recommendations.

I'd get the hybrid for a commute like that.

Ensure that whatever you buy has mounts for rack and fenders. It's not a
given that the bike will have the mounts for both.

Single panniers don't throw off balance.

When you buy a rear rack, get a _long_ rack that allows the panniers to
be mounted fairly far back so your heel doesn't hit them. This is
especially the case if you have big feet.

Look at the Jandd Expedition
("http://stores.channeladvisor.com/ebikestop/items/004-RK2552"),

the Old Man Mountain Red Rock
("http://www.oldmanmountain.com/rear_rack_page.htm"),

or the Tubus Logo
("http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='3584-00'")

Note that these racks are all quite expensive, but you often need such a
rack for proper heel clearance with a pannier on a road bike or hybrid
bike. With long wheelbase touring bicycles you can often get by with a
standard, shorter rack.

For a pannier for work, consider one of the backpack convertible
panniers such as the Arkel Bug ($150) or the Nashbar Action-Pack 'n
Pannier
("http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=66&subcategory=1004&sku=9036&brand=")
$49 (though there is a one day sale today at 15% off everything).

The redesigned Kryptonite Evolution is one of the best locks, whether
it's the best or not, I don't know. Supplement this with a thick cable
that passes through the wheels. Remember, you can leave the lock at
work, you don't have to be carrying it everywhere.

As to the bike you should get, I'd advise the Bianchi Avenue,
"http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_avenue.html" over the Giant's, as the
Bianchi has a stronger, cromolly steel frame.

You'll find that the "ladies" frames (now called "step through") usually
don't come in sizes that large (21") for hybrids. Remember, the sizing
on hybrids is different than for road bikes. Subtract 1" to 1.5" from
your road bike size for your hybrid size (the usual warning about
different manufacturers having different ways of measuring applies).

Try to find a hybrid that still uses a quill stem (i.e. the Bianchi
Avenue I suggested) as the height adjustability without the need for
stem extenders is a big plus. It looks like the Giant Cypress also has
this feature.

For Giant, I'd go with the Cypress as opposed to the Sedona, unless you
plan to use the bike for real off-road riding. Personally, I much prefer
the 700c wheels because the selection of road tires is much larger. The
700x38 tires are good, but you can but on narrower tires, up to a limit.
Conversely, for off-road riding, the Sedona would be better.

Depending on how much you are willing to spend, you might want to
consider a true commute bike, i.e. the 2005 Specialized Globe or the old
Trek T300, if you could find one.

"http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2005&sid=05Globe"
"http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/bik/314997509.html"
"http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/citybike/t300e.jsp"

Unfortunately, it's extremely hard to find a new commute bicycle
(chainguard, hub generator, fenders, quill stem, etc.) with full range
gearing. There's always Breezer ("http://www.breezerbikes.com/") but
these don't have full range gearing. Kettler discontinued their entire
line of commute bicycles.

[email protected] wrote:
> Newbie question:
> Am about to embark on a bike commute to work.
> Route is appx 6 mi. one way, 80% paved, 20% gravel, mud, tree roots,
> sand. One monster hill for about 1.5 miles at the end.
> I plan on starting at about 2-3 days per week.
> Safety trumps speed for me.
> I, yes, geek that I am, I will be using some sidewalks to
> start/build confidence.
> Bike will also be used for light errand runs and recreational
> use on about 80% paved paths.
> I need an upright position and comfy seat.
> Prefer ladies frame, 21" or more, but not a dealbreaker.
> Am looking at Giant Cypress line or Sedona line.
> · Not sure which model to get within each series.
>
> Questions are:
>
> · what's the cutoff for road vs. hybrid? My gut says get the
> hybrid..but wanted opinions.
> · do panniers cut at ankles?
> · do single panniers throw off balance?
> · Jandd seems like a good brand. Any experiences?
> · how long do brakes generally last?
> · does the shifter in the cypress vary from the Sedona?
> · is kryptonite still the best lock?
>
> thanks for your time and specific model recommendations.

Cypress is more of a road hybrid, Sedona more Mountain Bike
they both are comfort bikes
they both come with that infernal slime in their tires
they both use gripshift shiters
if you are mostly on pavement or hard pack i would go cypress
but you will want to change tires to something like a 700Cx32 at some
point the stock ones are a bit wide for much other than bike trails
mounting a rack on a cypress is a bit of a challenge since the upper
rack mounts are behind the brake calipers i had to mount the upper part
of the rack to the quick release for the seatpost
Panniers will hit back of ankles on a bike with short chainstays but
will not be an issue with a cypress
Jandd makes nice panniers and bags, thier racks are a bit pricey but
their bags fit their racks best as they are a bit wider than most other
they make a nice commuter set of panniers that stay put on the rack well

Steve wrote:

> rack mounts are behind the brake calipers i had to mount the upper part
> of the rack to the quick release for the seatpost

I had to mount a rack to a Cypress that my relative bought. I got a long
piece of aluminum flat bar from Home Depot, and with gentle bends, did a
center support from the center of the rack to the hole in the frame for
fenders or for whatever it's there for (brake bolt hole, though it's not
used for the brakes). I've done rack installations on several bikes this
way. Many racks are drilled for either two side supports or one center
support.

Hybrid, for sure, though it doesn't have to be too upright...drop bars, or
at least a little more stretched out position, are very comfortable for
longer rides. Too upright puts the pounding on your bum. Better front/rear
distribution makes for a more comfortable ride once you get in shape, also
makes the bike handle better (more equal weight distribution front and rear)
and if you're sitting upright, you block more wind, therefore slow yourself
down. If you're not an experienced rider you will probably blow that off
and go for upright, though. If you have long legs/short torso for your
height, a "ladies" model might fit you well, but the chances are it's a more
upright position and a ladies frame (unless you're wearing a dress while
you're riding) is not optimum for frame geometry for handling or for
positioning of the rear brakes.

Often the rear brakes on women's models are not as good because they have to
make them "fit" the frame configuration. They don't perform as well and
they need adjusting more often. Different if they are disk brakes, though,
in the case of the Cypress SX. If you buy a frame that fits you properly
(with enough clearance to avoid injuring yourself on the top tube if you
have to dismount on uneven terrain) a ladies frame is not necessary, unless
you have a physical disability that prevents you from throwing your leg over
to get on. FWIW, I'm a woman ( I used to work in a shop) and I have very
short legs so have trouble getting enough clearance over the top tube and I
STILL would never buy a woman's frame.

Fat tires are better in deep sand, but otherwise, unless you're a real clutz
and have poor handling skills, you'd probably be better off with the 700c
wheels of the Cypress. Comfy seat does not necessarily mean bigger seat.
All seats hurt until you get into shape. Once you're in shape, smaller is
better, less to chafe you and bruise you. Also, the wheelbase on the
Cypress is likely longer (with longer chainstays) than the Sedona, so less
chance of hitting the panniers with your heals. Big wheels are also more
efficient on the road.

Brakes can vary, if you keep them clean they will last longer. I don't know
about discs, sorry have never owned them. If ladies frame, standard brakes
will be less reliable and probably wear faster. Pads are not hard to change
and adjust--have someone teach you or take a class on bike maintenance.
It's cheaper to do your own, plus if you know how to do stuff, you can make
repairs if you break down on your way to or from work. Invaluable.

Most locks only slow thieves down. Some don't even do that. See if you can
find a place to take it into work. I used to remove the front wheel and put
it under the desk in my cube. Beg your employer for safe parking inside. If
you can't, spray paint your bike so it looks like **** and that might deter
some thieves.

Rear Panniers and rack trunk are probably all you need. You probably don't
need front panniers, unless you're going to carry lots of stuff to work or
start touring.

Buy your bike and accessories from a good full-service local bike shop.
They have the experience to help you do it right. You'll never regret
better information and buying better products. It's much cheaper than buying
the wrong stuff that's poorly made--you lose money trading up later.

Be sure you have lots of lights all over you and your bike. A helmet mounted
headlight is great. You can see better (and light the way where you want to
go, not just where the handlebars are pointed) and you can stare down car
drivers with your beam so they can't say they didn't see you.

I'd pick the Cypress SX out of the lot of Giant models.

Three most important purchase after the bike itself:

1. Helmet
2. Gloves
3. Spare tube and frame pump (and a multi-tool) to keep on the bike for
breakdowns.
4. Proper bike shorts

Good luck!

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

news:[email protected]...

On Apr 24, 12:51 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Newbie question:
> Am about to embark on a bike commute to work.
> Route is appx 6 mi. one way, 80% paved, 20% gravel, mud, tree roots,
> sand. One monster hill for about 1.5 miles at the end.
> I plan on starting at about 2-3 days per week.
> Safety trumps speed for me.
> I, yes, geek that I am, I will be using some sidewalks to
> start/build confidence.
> Bike will also be used for light errand runs and recreational
> use on about 80% paved paths.
> I need an upright position and comfy seat.
> Prefer ladies frame, 21" or more, but not a dealbreaker.
> Am looking at Giant Cypress line or Sedona line.
> · Not sure which model to get within each series.
>
> Questions are:
>
> · what's the cutoff for road vs. hybrid? My gut says get the
> hybrid..but wanted opinions.

For that gavel and the hill go hybrid.

> · do panniers cut at ankles?

No but it is always a good idea to check heel clearance.

> · do single panniers throw off balance?

Not particularly. I have regularly ridden with 22 lb (10kg) of flour
in my single pannier with no problem.
> · Jandd seems like a good brand. Any experiences?

no.
> · how long do brakes generally last?

Depends on the quality and softness of the rubber, where you ride
etc. There is no single answer.

> · does the shifter in the cypress vary from the Sedona?

> · is kryptonite still the best lock?

Don't know but they still are good.

On 2007-04-25, oldhickory <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
> some thieves.
>
> Rear Panniers and rack trunk are probably all you need. You probably don't
> need front panniers, unless you're going to carry lots of stuff to work or
> start touring.
>
> Buy your bike and accessories from a good full-service local bike shop.
> They have the experience to help you do it right. You'll never regret
> better information and buying better products. It's much cheaper than buying
> the wrong stuff that's poorly made--you lose money trading up later.
>
> Be sure you have lots of lights all over you and your bike. A helmet mounted
> headlight is great. You can see better (and light the way where you want to
> go, not just where the handlebars are pointed) and you can stare down car
> drivers with your beam so they can't say they didn't see you.
>
> I'd pick the Cypress SX out of the lot of Giant models.

I've put a few miles on one of these. I'd say it's a nice bike for the
money. I'll list the problems that weren't my fault.

4000 miles, brake failure. I think the spring on the V-brake wore out.
No matter how clean they were they didn't always open all the way.

~7000 miles, hub failure. No matter who adjusts/repacks, cones loosen up
within 200 miles. Bought new wheelset and problems are gone. I went to
27mm rims and usually run 700x42c tires now.

15,000 miles, broke crankarm. It wasn't crash related, but I'm lucky I
didn't crash because of it. LBS said they'd send it back to let the
manufacturer know about it.

> Three most important purchase after the bike itself:
>
> 1. Helmet
> 2. Gloves
> 3. Spare tube and frame pump (and a multi-tool) to keep on the bike for
> breakdowns.
> 4. Proper bike shorts
>
> Good luck!

I'd probably consider pedal/shoes over gloves, but I only wear gloves on
the hottest days (summer riding). I also consider fenders a must have
item. One wouldn't believe how much dirt fenders keep from flying, and
they're okay for rain too. A proper saddle would be a must have item
too.