Newbie Average speed

warriorcliff77 said:
Just curious what other newb's avg speed is when on your regular road ride?
Just got back into road riding after a lengthy layoff (2+ years). After my first week of training I was able to complete a 18 mile ride averageing 13.8 MPH. My goal is to complete a Century ride the second week of September with a 15-16 MPH Average. Training 6 days per week.

warriorcliff77 said:
Just curious what other newb's avg speed is when on your regular road ride?

That depends. I have been at it for years and can only average 13.5 mph over a 17 mile ride, and thats on a good day.
Did I mention the climb is 5000' verticle. Of course if you count the ride back down my speed increases.
Age,conditioning,weight,genetics,attitude,terrain all play a factor.

Thanks for the replies.

I just wanted to see if my pace was similar to others. I too just got back into it after 20 years, and 50lbs heavier. I'm working towards both longer rides, and a quicker pace.(and to lose the damn 50 lbs!)

I'm currently at a 30km (18.75mile) ride with an avg speed of 25km/h (15.62miles/hour) usually do this 4 times a week

And am i the only one who HATES wind.....haha

warriorcliff77 said:
...And am i the only one who HATES wind...
I used to hate wind with a passion. Headwinds seemed like invisible hills where you couldn't see the top but they made you go slow, work hard and didn't do anything good for bike handling.

Now I kinda dig headwinds on training rides. The difference is training with a power meter. It doesn't matter how fast I go into the headwind or with the tailwind all I'm concerned with is my training level. I still go slower into the wind but it's a lot easier to keep my power up in the higher training levels into the wind. On the tailwind stretches I have to stay right on top of it in terms of both gears and cadence or my power drops below where I'm supposed to be. That's one of the biggest surprises since switching to power based training, headwinds actually make things a bit easier for me mentally. I sure didn't expect that.

Same thing in races really. Folks get cagey and hesitate to come forward into the wind. That's a great time to put a bit of distance on the group or jump and bridge a gap without taking everyone with you. On the tailwind stretches I can't lose anyone.

Anyway, I guess I've come to terms with headwinds. I'm sure I'll still hate them if I'm suffering all alone after getting dropped but luckily that hasn't happened in a while :)

-Dave