Newbie Bike Question

TriathleteNut

Dec 20, 2005
I got it today. It's a Raleigh Road Eight Hundred Pro with Shimano Ultegra components and Spinergy wheels. It's pretty nice... Included were shoes, a helmet, two water bottle cages and other things I don't know much about. All for $1000. I would have spent this much getting a starter sport bike like a Specilized Allez Elite or a Giant OCR2. This is a year 2000 frame but from what I've researched, its a pretty good frame. The Shimano components alone make this a steal.

I haven't taken it for a ride yet because there are clipless pedals and I just haven't the nerve to go for a ride with them on yet. But I sat there and practiced twisting my ankle out to exit the pedal. It's getting easier but I'm very uncomfortable. My only experience with bikes is BMX racing which is a totally different story and years gone by.

Here's my question. As I was sitting there I had my right foot forward with the cranks parallel to the ground. When I turned the tires to the left it hit the tip of my right foot. Is this common? I can't guage how tight the turn would be if I were riding, but its enough to hit my toe.

Is it normal for this to happen or is it common practice to turn without pedaling or turn left with left foot down and right foot up?

I know a guy who owns a cannondale who has the same problem. He was actually tracking and he got his foot stuck behind his tire. Now that he knows this, he's fine. Most of the time you won't turn your wheel that much.

I think the average for people falling due to clipless pedals is about five times. Typically you fall because you stop and you locked in. Once you get there you pretty much remember to unclip.

Good luck

Is there any room for adjustment on the shoes, so that they can be set to connect to the pedal further forward, thus moving your toes backwards slightly?

Shorter crank arms perhaps?

Or how about having your feet removed and remounted backwards? :D

wheelist said:
Or how about having your feet removed and remounted backwards? :D
i had a friend who had this done, he didnt know if he was coming or going...

my mtb does this also but whenever you are turning with any sort of speed you dont have to turn the front wheel so far as to hit your toes..

i dont think it will be a problem when you are out there...if it is the shorter cranks (as already suggested) is the only solution.

TriathleteNut said:
Is it normal for this to happen or is it common practice to turn without pedaling or turn left with left foot down and right foot up?
It's perfectly normal, and highly unlikely that you'll ever turn the wheel that much while you're riding.

It is normal for this to happen on road bikes. I can get my foot stuck in the same way. This was different for me since I have full range on the mountain bike. Like other have said this won't happen while you are riding, especially since if you are doing a hard turn your pedals are usually vertical.

Have fun riding

Thanks for all the replies! I was getting all worried that I made a $1000 mistake. Although I'm sure the store I got it from would have made ammends.