Newbie bought an old new bike!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Charlotte Henso, Sep 7, 2003.

  1. First I've got to tell you all that I'm just back from the first real ride on my new bike and I'm
    fully psyched!

    OK, you all wanted details.

    We show up at the house as it is getting dark. We know it's the right house 'cause he told us about
    the VW bug for sale in the front yard. Was surprised that the seller is a heavier older man. He
    takes us around back to his walk-out basement and we enter bike heaven. There are 7-8 bikes around
    the place. He told us his son left last week for grad-school and took 2 as well. In the middle of
    the basement is my new bike, the 1996 IF Deluxe.

    Yes, it is 7 years old and it looks like it has been ridden 7 times. It's fire engine red and has
    what BF calls the "new bike sparkle". BF looks it over for signs of neglect but the thing is
    pristine. He finds clear stickers on the top tube, seller shows how those were to protect the finish
    from the bar ends (not included). While he's looking it over I get to look at the card that was
    hanging on the handle bars. It is the original card that has the signtures of all the makers of the
    bike and indicates that mine was built in Somerville, not New York.

    We take it out for a spin. BF goes first and I learn from the seller that it's up for sale because
    he wants to buy a new road bike, lose 40 lbs, and get back into road racing. He bought the IF to
    bike with his son but now his son is more into road racing. He then tries to interest me in his 2001
    VW bug. He just got a mini, so the 2 year old bug has to go. As far as I can tell this is a
    used-stuff buyers dream - technoweenie clearance.

    I get on the bike and it's like driving a Ferrari. I always felt like I was "pushing" my Hard Rock
    to get it to move. This bike feels like every bit of effort translates immediately into forward
    movement. It feels really light and stable. The strangest thing was falling in love with the brake
    levers. I *love* these brakes. He smiled when I said that and started pointing out how nicely made
    they are - details that are lost on
    me. Other things he mentioned were that it's a Chris King headset(?) and some piece of the bottom
    bracket is titanium, and the cranks were hand-made in England.

    BF is about ready to cry now. This bike is SO MUCH nicer and better cared for than his Fat, for only
    $100 more. He's trying to talk me into selling him some of my components. We'll see. I think this
    bike fits perfectly. He's about .5" taller than me but my legs are longer for my height. The frame
    is exactly the same size as his. From the center of the bottom bracket to the center of where the
    top tube joins the seat tube is 15.5". We think the seller was trying to make it sound bigger with
    his "imaginary point" measurement.

    The only problem with this bike is that it is so pristine and perfect that I will have a hard time
    messing it up. We went out on an inaugural ride today (took pictures!) and I got mud all over it! I
    felt terrible but I'll get over it.

    Have I mentioned that I'm thrilled? -Charlotte

    Tags:

  2. On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 18:45:27 -0400, Charlotte Henson <[email protected]> penned:
    > First I've got to tell you all that I'm just back from the first real ride on my new bike and I'm
    > fully psyched!

    As a fellow newbie, grats!

    Your description makes me jealous as hell ... you didn't just buy a bike; you got a great story to
    go with it.

    Have fun!

    --
    monique

    My pointless ramblings: http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6

  3. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Charlotte Henson wrote:
    > First I've got to tell you all that I'm just back from the first real
    >> Yes, it is 7 years old and it looks like it has been ridden 7 times.
    > It's fire engine red and has what BF calls the "new bike sparkle". BF looks it over for signs of
    > neglect but the thing is pristine. He finds clear stickers on the top tube, seller shows how
    > those were to protect the finish from the bar ends (not included). While he's looking it over I
    > get to look at the card that was hanging on the handle bars. It is the original card that has
    > the signtures of all the makers of the bike and indicates that mine was built in Somerville, not
    > New York.

    jeez maybe you can turn it around on ebay for 5 grand....

    penny

  4. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Charlotte Henson wrote:
    > First I've got to tell you all that I'm just back from the first real ride on my new bike and I'm
    > fully psyched!
    >
    > OK, you all wanted details.

    yes of course,

    > BF is about ready to cry now. This bike is SO MUCH nicer and better cared for than his Fat, for
    > only $100 more.

    serves himn right for letting your old bike get stolen. Dont' let him ride
    it. ;-)

    He's trying to talk me
    > into selling him some of my components.

    not a chance, I hope.

    > > The only problem with this bike is that it is so pristine and perfect
    > that I will have a hard time messing it up.

    you'll get over that!!

    We went out on an
    > inaugural ride today (took pictures!) and I got mud all over it! I felt terrible but I'll get
    > over it.

    post pics, you do know that those are going to be "bike porn" ?

    > Have I mentioned that I'm thrilled? -Charlotte

    way to go, grrl!! So were any of the posts here useful to you during the process?

    Penny

  5. Penny S wrote:

    > serves himn right for letting your old bike get stolen. Dont' let him ride
    > it. ;-)

    No kidding! He's trying to tell me how my bike is set up better for him to use on his 50 mile
    mountain bike race. I told him he's dreaming.

    > post pics, you do know that those are going to be "bike porn" ?

    Will do. Too bad they're analog. It'll take me a while.

    > way to go, grrl!! So were any of the posts here useful to you during the process?

    Oh absolutely! I'm learning so much - every day. It was really good to get additional perspectives
    on this bike. I went into it knowing what the liabilities were (beat up, paucity of parts, possibly
    custom) and was much better able to talk to BF about details.

    As it turns out this particular bike has a money-back promise in that BF will pay me every dollar if
    I will sell it to him, so I was less concerned about finding the fit to be wrong over time. BF
    worked as a bike mechanic through college. We'll be stripping his Fat for the winter and cleaning it
    up (I think he feels bad that it's so much more worn than mine), so I'm not as concerned about
    repairs. This bike is pristine, and fitted with first-class parts so I'm not as worried about
    replacing anything for a while.

    -Charlotte the happy

  6. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Charlotte Henson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > bracket is titanium, and the cranks were hand-made in England.
    >
    > BF is about ready to cry now. This bike is SO MUCH nicer and better cared for than his Fat, for
    > only $100 more. He's trying to talk me into selling him some of my components. We'll see. I think
    > this bike fits perfectly. He's about .5" taller than me but my legs are longer for my height. The
    > frame is exactly the same size as his. From the center of the bottom bracket to the center of
    > where the top tube joins the seat tube is 15.5". We think the seller was trying to make it sound
    > bigger with his "imaginary point" measurement.
    >
    > The only problem with this bike is that it is so pristine and perfect that I will have a hard time
    > messing it up. We went out on an inaugural ride today (took pictures!) and I got mud all over it!
    > I felt terrible but I'll get over it.
    >

    > Have I mentioned that I'm thrilled? -Charlotte

    Sure sounds like it was meant to be to me! Enjoy it (yeah, like THAT's an issue :)

    Bill "knows a woman whose custom IF was stolen from her garage (along with BF's bike, motorcycle,
    tools, etc.)" S.

  7. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 15:45:27 -0700, Charlotte Henson wrote:

    > First I've got to tell you all that I'm just back from the first real ride on my new bike and I'm
    > fully psyched!

    :D

    > He then tries to interest me in his 2001 VW bug.

    I love mine. :D

    Glad the bike worked out. gabrielle

  8. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 18:45:27 -0400, Charlotte Henson wrote:
    > First I've got to tell you all that I'm just back from the first real ride on my new bike and I'm
    > fully psyched!

    Cool! I didn't know you were going to be able to ride it before you bought
    it. Glad it fit OK!

    > The only problem with this bike is that it is so pristine and perfect that I will have a hard time
    > messing it up. We went out on an inaugural ride today (took pictures!) and I got mud all over it!
    > I felt terrible but I'll get over it.

    You'll get over the worry of messing it up pretty quickly. A pristine mountain bike is a rather sad
    sight, anyway. So ya gonna post those pictures?

  9. <Long story about love at first sight snipped>

    >Have I mentioned that I'm thrilled? -Charlotte

    I'm very glad to hear it worked out. Now let's see a RR.

    Cheers,

    -Andrew

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Charlotte Henson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip happy ending>
    > Have I mentioned that I'm thrilled? -Charlotte

    Ride it like it was meant to be ridden.

    JD

  11. Penny S wrote:

    > way to go, grrl!! So were any of the posts here useful to you during the process?

    In the post-ride euphoria I forgot my manners. Thanks to everyone for your help and advice in this
    decision! I came racing back to the group to tell you how well it went 'cause you all were so great
    in helping me with my homework.

    THANK YOU!!!

    -Charlotte

  12. Charlotte - it looks lioke it's all been said by others (rie it hard, ride it well, enjoy it, etc,.)
    so I'll just add a spare "enjoy it" to the list. Where "near Boston" are you? I'm in RI but have a
    son and daughter-in-law in Worcester. Steve

  13. Deluxe Model

    Deluxe Model Guest

    "Charlotte Henson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Penny S wrote:
    >
    > > way to go, grrl!! So were any of the posts here useful to you during the process?
    > >

    > In the post-ride euphoria I forgot my manners. Thanks to everyone for your help and advice in this
    > decision! I came racing back to the group to tell you how well it went 'cause you all were so
    > great in helping me with my homework.

    To show your appreciation, please post pictures of your new ride.

  14. Marty

    Marty Guest

    "Charlotte Henson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > First I've got to tell you all that I'm just back from the first real ride on my new bike and I'm
    > fully psyched!

    Welcome to the club. You have my sympathies. You'll find your mind wandering to the trails; bike
    parts; long weekends; cold beer after hot rides; long twistie single track; short scarey rocky
    downhills; logs; ruts; streams; on and on.

    Like I said. My sympathies.

    Marty

  15. Marty wrote:
    > Welcome to the club. You have my sympathies. You'll find your mind wandering to the trails; bike
    > parts; long weekends; cold beer after hot rides; long twistie single track; short scarey rocky
    > downhills; logs; ruts; streams; on and on.
    >
    > Like I said. My sympathies.
    >
    > Marty

    I learned that already! I couldn't ride on Saturday because we had to go to a wedding. I'd
    previously been excited to see my good friend get married but now all I could think about was how
    this perfect wedding weather was really perfect riding weather and what a drag it was to be sitting
    still in stiff clothes. Same with work. What a drag. -Charlotte

  16. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Charlotte Henson wrote:
    > Marty wrote:
    >> Welcome to the club. You have my sympathies. You'll find your mind wandering to the trails; bike
    >> parts; long weekends; cold beer after hot rides; long twistie single track; short scarey rocky
    >> downhills; logs; ruts; streams; on and on.
    >>
    >> Like I said. My sympathies.
    >>
    >> Marty
    >
    > I learned that already! I couldn't ride on Saturday because we had to go to a wedding. I'd
    > previously been excited to see my good friend get married but now all I could think about was how
    > this perfect wedding weather was really perfect riding weather and what a drag it was to be
    > sitting still in stiff clothes. Same with work. What a drag. -Charlotte

    heh heh heh. ... Shes' got it bad, now!

    Penny

  17. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Charlotte Henson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Marty wrote:
    > > Welcome to the club. You have my sympathies. You'll find your mind
    wandering
    > > to the trails; bike parts; long weekends; cold beer after hot rides;
    long
    > > twistie single track; short scarey rocky downhills; logs; ruts; streams; on and
    on.

    > I learned that already! I couldn't ride on Saturday because we had to go to a wedding. I'd
    > previously been excited to see my good friend get married but now all I could think about was how
    > this perfect wedding weather was really perfect riding weather and what a drag it was to be
    > sitting still in stiff clothes. Same with work. What a drag.

    Unless the wedding is at 8 AM or something, you go for an early morning ride and then show up to the
    ceremony nice and relaxed (and hungry!).

    As for work, if they let you dress in drag, well...better hold on to it :)

    Bill "riding's a good reason to be self-underemployed" S.

  18. Deluxe Model

    Deluxe Model Guest

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Charlotte Henson wrote:
    > > Marty wrote:
    > >> Welcome to the club. You have my sympathies. You'll find your mind wandering to the trails;
    > >> bike parts; long weekends; cold beer after hot rides; long twistie single track; short scarey
    > >> rocky downhills; logs; ruts; streams; on and on.
    > >>
    > >> Like I said. My sympathies.
    > >>
    > >> Marty
    > >
    > > I learned that already! I couldn't ride on Saturday because we had to go to a wedding. I'd
    > > previously been excited to see my good friend get married but now all I could think about was
    > > how this perfect wedding weather was really perfect riding weather and what a drag it was to be
    > > sitting still in stiff clothes. Same with work. What a drag. -Charlotte
    >
    > heh heh heh. ... Shes' got it bad, now!

    That is good, no? It's pretty much all I think about, and my bike is not_even_done_yet (damnit!).