Newbie : Burning calories with swimming?

R

Rich

I am new to swimming.

I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.

I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming? How many calories
can I burn swimming? How long will it take?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

[email protected] (Rich) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am new to swimming.
>
> I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.
>
> I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming? How many
> calories can I burn swimming? How long will it take?
>
> Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

As many calories as you can waste in swimming can be easily eaten back. You will become
stronger and keep being fat. The only way of losing fat is watching your meals, that is,
you must keep eating that same you eat now or less, plus a lot of new exercizing. Nothing
fancy here!

Nelson

On 7 Nov 2003 19:47:54 -0800, [email protected] (Rich) wrote:

>I am new to swimming.
>
>I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.
>
>I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming?

Yes, but if you aren't already a proficient swimmer, it will take a long time to get to the point
where you can burn as many calories in an hour of swimming as you could in an hour of running. You
can shortcut the process somewhat by using shorter zoomer style fins for a portion (maybe 30 - 40%)
of your total swimming workout. Once you learn the basic stroke techniques, one of your greatest
limiting factors will be lack of conditioning in the upper body. This takes a long time.

Also, keep in mind that swimming causes a different metabolic profile than running. By that, I mean
that compared to running, swimming is fueled more by carbohydrate metabolism and less by fat
metabolism. Thus, if you want to loose weight swimming, you should be eating less fat than you did
for an equal time spent running. You'll also want to try reducing overall food intake a bit, but if
you take it too far, you'll end up feeling crappy in the pool. In the end, it will be a trial and
error process.

>How many calories can I burn swimming?

See above.

>How long will it take?

depends on how well and how much you eat and swim.

>
>Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

For most people this seems to be true, but for me, even when all I did was swim, I was very thin.
However, can you take a spinning class or use a recumbent bike? These burn a lot of calories, as
does an elliptical trainer. Running causes me back problems so I have to limit it, but the
elliptical trainer is an acceptable alternative for me. I know a man who lost 100 pounds and has
kept it off with his diligent 1 hour/day on his home elliptical trainer (plus he cut out the
ice-cream). Whatever you do needs to remain part of your permanent lifestyle for it to have lasting
effects. Swimming, if not effective in weight loss for you, will certainly help tone you. Good luck.

Marianne

"nelson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Rich) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I am new to swimming.
> >
> > I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.
> >
> > I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming? How many
> > calories can I burn swimming? How long will it take?
> >
> > Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
>
>
> As many calories as you can waste in swimming can be easily eaten back. You will become
> stronger and keep being fat. The only way of losing fat is watching your meals, that is,
> you must keep eating that same you eat now or less, plus a lot of new exercizing.
> Nothing fancy here!
>
> Nelson

On 8 Nov 2003 08:18:15 -0800, [email protected] (nelson) wrote:

>[email protected] (Rich) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> I am new to swimming.
>>
>> I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.
>>
>> I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming? How many
>> calories can I burn swimming? How long will it take?
>>
>> Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
>
>
> As many calories as you can waste in swimming can be easily eaten back. You will become
> stronger and keep being fat.

That could be said of any exercise. I believe the hunger-inducing effects of exercise vary greatly
from one individual to the next. Being a triathlete and so far only a mediocre swimmer, I find it
fairly easy to control weight and appetite with a regimen of heavy swimming as I do in the winter.
Two hours of swimming does not give me anywhere near the level of hunger as I might get from two
hours of cycling or running.

>The only way of losing fat is watching your meals, that is, you must keep eating that same you eat
>now or less, plus a lot of new exercizing.

Not completely true - he could simply sit on the couch and eat way less. He could also train 40
hours a week and eat like a horse.

> Nothing fancy here!
>
> Nelson

"M.W.Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message snip
> I don't agree. A proficient swimmer will burn less energy in an hour of swimming than a novice,
> assuming they both swim for an hour. An hour of swimming for an inefficient swimmer is exhausting.
> A proficient swimmer can do it easily. I suppose that a new swimmer will burn a lot of energy
> swimming for an hour.
>
> martin

I'm not so sure. When I swim at my local YMCA on occasion I see individuals come in and swim lap
after lap for 30 min or so, usually older folks but sometimes even middle age guys like me (i'll be
37 in a month). They go ever so slow. and when they stop, they aren't even breating hard, I mean it
literally looks like they just took a bath minus the soap.

Now granted, it takes alot less energy for me to swim 800m in ten minutes then it would one of these
fellows, even if they could do it at all, but when these guys come to the pool to exercise, I don't
think they understand the concept of getting the heart rate elevated at all. You can tell who swims
to train and who swims to "bathe". If aren't doing some sort of interval training in the pool,
chances are you are a "bather", or as I refer to them on occasion when I have to share a lane with
one of these people, a UFO (Unidentified Floating Object).

We can't say why your doctor said to stop running, but running can be a great exercise and
alternating with other exercises is great.

As far as calories and swimming, if you want to burn more calories while simming, swim harder and
faster. Then you'll get your heart rate up and burn lots of calories.

Bob

MJuric wrote:

> On 7 Nov 2003 19:47:54 -0800, [email protected] (Rich) wrote:
>
> >I am new to swimming.
> >
> >I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.
> >
> >I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming? How many
> >calories can I burn swimming? How long will it take?
> >
> >Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
>
> First bit of advice woudl be go see another doctor.
>
> Noakes states "Never take as a final word the word of a NON running doctor"
>
> I've been told no less than three times by doctors to "Quit running it'll ruin your knees" Yet
> after seeing a running PT the problem was usually cleared up in a couple of weeks.
>
> Second piece of advice, swimming good for burning calories, biking better, eating less best.
>
> ~Matt

To give further testimony to FAT loss while swimming, I offer this. Two years ago I swam for 30
minutes at a YMCA every morning before work. I mountain biked on weekends. I didn't change my diet
at all, didn't lose one pound, but lost 3 dress sizes.

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 10:39:21 +0100, "M.W.Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Radioactive Man wrote:
>
>> On 7 Nov 2003 19:47:54 -0800, [email protected] (Rich) wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I am new to swimming.
>>>
>>>I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.
>>>
>>>I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming?
>>
>>
>> Yes, but if you aren't already a proficient swimmer, it will take a long time to get to the point
>> where you can burn as many calories in an hour of swimming as you could in an hour of running.
>
>I don't agree. A proficient swimmer will burn less energy in an hour of swimming than a novice,
>assuming they both swim for an hour.

If both are putting out a paced, but maximal effort, I believe the proficient swimmer will burn more
energy in an hour, provided both are actually swimming with reasonable technique. If you allow
thrashing, all bets are off. As long as he/she continues swimming with reasonable technique, the
less proficient swimmer will be limited by lactatic acid buildup in the upper body.

>An hour of swimming for an inefficient swimmer is exhausting.

And that is because his/her muscles fatigue quickly, since they're not conditioned for swimming

>A proficient swimmer can do it easily. I suppose that a new swimmer will burn a lot of energy
>swimming for an hour.

Only if he thrashes or uses fins. If he swims right, he'll just end up with tired arms.

>
>martin

Radioactive Man wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 10:39:21 +0100, "M.W.Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>Radioactive Man wrote:
>>
>>
>>>On 7 Nov 2003 19:47:54 -0800, [email protected] (Rich) wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>I am new to swimming.
>>>>
>>>>I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.
>>>>
>>>>I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming?
>>>
>>>
>>>Yes, but if you aren't already a proficient swimmer, it will take a long time to get to the point
>>>where you can burn as many calories in an hour of swimming as you could in an hour of running.
>>
>>I don't agree. A proficient swimmer will burn less energy in an hour of swimming than a novice,
>>assuming they both swim for an hour.
>
>
> If both are putting out a paced, but maximal effort, I believe the proficient swimmer will burn
> more energy in an hour, provided both are actually swimming with reasonable technique. If you
> allow thrashing, all bets are off. As long as he/she continues swimming with reasonable technique,
> the less proficient swimmer will be limited by lactatic acid buildup in the upper body.

I get to invoke the law of the excluded middle here, or something. Proficient, in this case, means
the swimmer knows how to swim well, so less proficient means more thrashing. If you don't allow
thrashing, there isn't anything to compare. Proficiency refers to skill, not fitness. More skill
means more speed for less effort. Less effort burns fewer calories.

martin

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:12:21 +0100, "M.W.Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Radioactive Man wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 10:39:21 +0100, "M.W.Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Radioactive Man wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>On 7 Nov 2003 19:47:54 -0800, [email protected] (Rich) wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>I am new to swimming.
>>>>>
>>>>>I was asked to stop running by the doctor. He recommended that I take up swimming instead.
>>>>>
>>>>>I was interested in losing weight. Is it possible to lose a pound or two swimming?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Yes, but if you aren't already a proficient swimmer, it will take a long time to get to the
>>>>point where you can burn as many calories in an hour of swimming as you could in an hour of
>>>>running.
>>>
>>>I don't agree. A proficient swimmer will burn less energy in an hour of swimming than a novice,
>>>assuming they both swim for an hour.
>>
>>
>> If both are putting out a paced, but maximal effort, I believe the proficient swimmer will
>> burn more energy in an hour, provided both are actually swimming with reasonable technique.
>> If you allow thrashing, all bets are off. As long as he/she continues swimming with
>> reasonable technique, the less proficient swimmer will be limited by lactatic acid buildup in
>> the upper body.
>
>I get to invoke the law of the excluded middle here, or something. Proficient, in this case, means
>the swimmer knows how to swim well, so less proficient means more thrashing. If you don't allow
>thrashing, there isn't anything to compare. Proficiency refers to skill, not fitness. More skill
>means more speed for less effort. Less effort burns fewer calories.

I think one can learn reasonable swim technique long before one achieves optimal conditioning for
swimming. When such a swimmer tires out, he/she can either continue swimming with reasonable
technique, but use fewer calories because the upper body muscles simply cannot maintain the caloric
output. Or, he/she can thrash and keep up the same, or higher, level of caloric output by using
muscles that don't contribute to propulsion.

If you want to test this, try comparing your pace and breathing intensity during sprints vs. long
distance while using a pull-buoy. After a long time swimming with the pull-buoy, most swimmers,
including myself, are far more limited by tired arms than by breathing. If your O2 consumtion is
close to normal, non-exercise levels over a long period of time, then so is your metabolism. Without
the pull-buoy, inexperienced swimmers may thrash more when their arms tire, thus, they wind up
thinking they have a "wind" problem, when, in fact, all they have is a thrashing problem and a lack
of upper body conditioning.