Newbie - cheap bike or expensive one for first time racer?



dmskin

New Member
Jul 19, 2004
31
0
0
Im a newbie, done a bit of mountain biking and generally commute to work on it. However been seeing cyclists on racers going around and would like to give it a go.

So I went around cycle shops and saw a trek 1000 for €700+ very nice bike. However still unsure about spending that much money when i may not be into road racing. Since i would still use my mountain bike for everyday commuting.

So been thinking about a decathlon cycle for €300 (R SERIE 1.7) or €400, R SERIE 7.2. just to see if i like it. and would actually use it. what do you think, or should i just take the plunge for the trek?

I need your help! ;))))


Thanks in advance.
 

ganderctr

New Member
Dec 9, 2004
133
0
0
35
Go cheap(er). I bought a Trek 1500 (which, in America, is a full 105 bike that retails for $1000) after considering the full-Ultegra bikes for nearly twice that amount. After test riding several Ultegra-equipped bikes I can say that for someone getting started, $1000-$1200 is tops to start with.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
dmskin said:
Im a newbie, done a bit of mountain biking and generally commute to work on it. However been seeing cyclists on racers going around and would like to give it a go.

So I went around cycle shops and saw a trek 1000 for €700+ very nice bike. However still unsure about spending that much money when i may not be into road racing. Since i would still use my mountain bike for everyday commuting.

So been thinking about a decathlon cycle for €300 (R SERIE 1.7) or €400, R SERIE 7.2. just to see if i like it. and would actually use it. what do you think, or should i just take the plunge for the trek?

I need your help! ;))))


Thanks in advance.
Are you going to really 'race' or just tool around on a road bike? A trek 1000 is about bottom of the barrel,but works for 'just tooling around'. Really want to 'race? Think more bike.
 

dmskin

New Member
Jul 19, 2004
31
0
0
boudreaux said:
Are you going to really 'race' or just tool around on a road bike? A trek 1000 is about bottom of the barrel,but works for 'just tooling around'. Really want to 'race? Think more bike.

trek low, then what is the decathlon? lol

i dont know i just would like to try long distance race cycling. to see if i like it or not
 

mjw_byrne

New Member
Jan 22, 2004
527
0
0
41
If you're unsure, try a friend's racer or maybe try to pick up something second hand, just to make your mind up. Some bike shops will even let you borrow a bike for a few days (obviously you have to provide collateral); you could try it out that way. If you do decide it's something you'd like to do, spending a little extra pays off, e.g. 105 group if you go Shimano, or Veloce if you buy Campagnolo. If you get a cheap road bike it'll be fine for a while but once you improve a bit you'll be hankering for something better, so it's best to buy something you can grow into.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
dmskin said:
trek low, then what is the decathlon? lol

i dont know i just would like to try long distance race cycling. to see if i like it or not
There is stuff that is under the barrel and stuff that is sold direct for less money.
 

Cyclist14

New Member
Oct 13, 2004
555
0
0
33
I got a Trek 1500 as well and I would recomend you spend at least a grand ($1,000.00) By the way the 2005 model has an Ultegra Rear Derailluer and a Carbon Seatpost.

If you end up buying a cheap bike then you will most likely be unhappy with it and ride a lot less.
 

Blasp

New Member
Aug 11, 2004
15
0
0
45
I started to ride the bike about 7 years ago and about 6 years ago i have bought my first road bike. It was Alu 7005 frame with aloy fork, 105 group and mavic cosmic expert wheels. Now I have much better bike, but I think that this kind of bike is ideal for someone, who is beginning with cycling and is not yet exactly sure, how much time he (or she) will spent with cycling. This bike can be used for for both purposes - amateur racing and riding for pleasure.

If you decide, that you want to spend more money and time on bike, you can upgrade frame, wheels or group in future.
 

mrowkoob

New Member
Dec 23, 2003
306
0
0
Blasp said:
I started to ride the bike about 7 years ago and about 6 years ago i have bought my first road bike. It was Alu 7005 frame with aloy fork, 105 group and mavic cosmic expert wheels. Now I have much better bike, but I think that this kind of bike is ideal for someone, who is beginning with cycling and is not yet exactly sure, how much time he (or she) will spent with cycling. This bike can be used for for both purposes - amateur racing and riding for pleasure.
QUOTE]

Definetly "cheaper". By cheaper I don´t mean cheapest. Get a bike with quality parts like campa veloce or shimano 105. Handle a bike like that with care and you have one for 30000 miles with some exchanges of wearable parts.

Stay away from lower level groups and stay away from cheap concept wheels.

Get a good bikefitting from a dealer to ensure you get the right size frame. You dont have to buy a bike to get a bikefitting although it might cost you 20 bucks if you dont. Money made back quickly by making the correct frame sizr choice.

Other setups some of which you also get when geting a bikefitting (stem lenght, seatpost height, cranklength, seat, handlebar/hood angle, cassette setup, double or tripple) might change as you ride more and find out what your ideal preferences are.

It took me about 4 bikes before I got one that fit me just right. Now I know exactly what I want and not until then should you go out and get the 5-10000 usd dreambike.

When you know the right frame size you could start out with a used bike. Many buy roadbikes and dont use them much. Ebay is a great place to find your first bike.

Good luck
 

JTE83

Member
Jan 28, 2004
1,390
18
0
I saw a great bike that is somewhat "cheap" for what it is - a 2005 Giant TCR 3 Composite. It was selling in a US bike shop for $1500 -- that's cheap considering that the frame and fork are top quality carbon fiber. The components are 105 / Tiagra 9 speed, the crank was a Truvativ Rouleur, and the brakes are Tektros. I have an OCR 1 with Tektro brakes and they stop just as good as my Cervelo with Dura Ace 7800 brakes.

See the picture for the bike ! This bike is definitely great for the beginning racer !

Oh, by the way - you should start with a midrange bike if you are a first time racer. Like a Shimano 105 built bike.
 

lumpy

New Member
Oct 22, 2003
513
2
0
Go cheap. That way you have an excuse if you do poorly in the race! And if you do well, so much the better!

;)
 

dmskin

New Member
Jul 19, 2004
31
0
0
lumpy said:
Go cheap. That way you have an excuse if you do poorly in the race! And if you do well, so much the better!

;)


Well i finally went cheap a Decathlon 7.1 (€300). WOW what a difference it is compared to my mountain bike!
 

el Ingles

New Member
Oct 3, 2003
730
0
0
66
dmskin said:
Well i finally went cheap a Decathlon 7.1 (€300). WOW what a difference it is compared to my mountain bike!


Good for you , if you really get into it then you can save up for something better later and keep the old one for the indoor trainer / bad weather and in the mean time learn what you like or don´t about your bike that will allow you to choose the next one on a better basis than " well Lance rides Trek so ...."
:D
 

RC2

New Member
May 21, 2004
905
2
0
EXPENSIVE!!! The more bike, the more fun, the more drool. Get a Colnago C50 or maybe a Calfee Dragonfly or Vortex, you'll be guaranteed a spot on the podium!!!! ;) Just don't crash it!
 

ChangMan

New Member
May 13, 2005
124
0
0
41
My first bike was a Felt F80. It's aluminum with a carbon fork and it came with the Tiagra group. It really holds up good. Best part is that I only paid about $850 for it. :)
 

2toneblue

New Member
May 28, 2005
3
0
0
I think since you ride quite a bit already though unshure of what you might do or think of a road bike I would still go for a decent machine, you will be more pleased in the long run. I started out riding a old hunk of junk road bike years ago I mean had steel cottered cranks and steel 27 inch rims. I rode and rode the bike and I knew when I finally was going to buy a good road bike I was going to go all out. I would say if you plan to ride at all get the best bike for your money that you can afford, you will forget how much you paid after you enjoy the bike.
 

Similar threads