Newbie clipless question

*John*

Guest
Well, I enjoy the road bike so darn much that I went out and bought a MTB and I love it, with only
one exception; I'm getting a little tired of using my butt/shoulder/leg for a skidplate! I couldn't
imagine going without my clipless pedals on my road bike, but for some reason I just can't get the
hang of it on the MTB. The SPD's that are on it (as a side note, that's what I use on the roadie
too) are adjusted as loose as they will go, properly lubed, etc, but I just can't get used to
things yet. I was going to try the "snap in" platform thingies on my ride in the morning so that I
clip-in when I was in an open area, yet use a platform pedal with my cleated shoe (on these shoes,
the cleat is almost completely hidden). On problem; a quick trip around the block with this combo
tells me that these things may be cool for riding to the store, but suck for anything else. My
questions are these....

a) Does anyone use the "snap-in" platform things so that they can alternate between clipped-in
and platform?

b) Does anyone use those platform pedals that have a clip-in on one side? I've just seen then in
catalogs and such. Looks like you could use the clip-in part when you needed to and then use the
platform in the more technical stuff. They seem like a good idea....anyone have any experience
with these?

Sorry for the novel. Any advise is appreciated (and I usually get good advise here so TIA!)

*John*

"*John*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> b) Does anyone use those platform pedals that have a clip-in on one side? I've just seen then in
> catalogs and such. Looks like you could use the clip-in part when you needed to and then use
> the platform in the more technical stuff. They seem like a good idea....anyone have any
> experience with these?

Yes I use those, although to be honest I keep meaning to take the platforms off as I rarely use
them. The platform sides are heavier and therefore 90% of the time turn to the bottom. This is what
you want if you intend to clip in, but if you want the platform you generally need to use your toe
to flip them upwards before you can use them. Hope this makes sense.

*John* said...

> a) Does anyone use the "snap-in" platform things so that they can alternate between clipped-in and
> platform?

I can't remember anyone saying that they use them regularly. I see them at bike shops only, where
they would have a use for letting people test ride a bike if they didn't happen to wearing the
right shoes.

> b) Does anyone use those platform pedals that have a clip-in on one side? I've just seen then in
> catalogs and such. Looks like you could use the clip-in part when you needed to and then use
> the platform in the more technical stuff. They seem like a good idea....anyone have any
> experience with these?

I have a pair of these in my parts bin. The problem with them is that you end up stepping on the
wrong side far too often. This gets old in a hurry. My pair, which came stock on my bike, lasted
only 1 ride before I shitcanned them. If you can put up with that little headache, then they are a
good idea. I bought a pair of platforms and a pair of clipless and switch out whenever I feel like
it. Mostly I stay with the platforms, but there is not doubt about the extra power you can get
with clipless. Still, I think their value is questionable for a non-competitive rider. A decent
pair of platforms with really good grip can give you a taste of clipless benefits without actually
being clipped in. One downside is that they can really do some damage to your shins if you happen
to slip off them.

Which SPD's? Which cleats?

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

"*John*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

(snip)
> The SPD's that are on it (as a side note, that's what I use on the roadie too) are adjusted as
> loose as they will go, properly lubed, etc, but I just can't get used to things yet.
(snip)

*John* thoughtfully penned:
> Well, I enjoy the road bike so darn much that I went out and bought a
>>
> a) Does anyone use the "snap-in" platform things so that they can alternate between clipped-in and
> platform?
>
> b) Does anyone use those platform pedals that have a clip-in on one side? I've just seen then in
> catalogs and such. Looks like you could use the clip-in part when you needed to and then use
> the platform in the more technical stuff. They seem like a good idea....anyone have any
> experience with these?
>
> Sorry for the novel. Any advise is appreciated (and I usually get good advise here so TIA!)
>
> *John*

by now you've probably read that the platform/clip combo isn't a great idea. I'd suggest you
have your clips checked out to make sure they are set up properly, put just a DROP of dry lube
on the spring in th pedal, make sure they are set loose, go find a big grassy lawn and practice
your release.

Penny

You may try the SH-55 multi-release cleats. I checked the Shimano site and they are compatible with
your pedals. With them, you don't have a unclip at a certain angle/foot motion. The "disadvantage",
as some would say, it that you get un-clipped when you don't want to. I tighten mine more to
overcome this problem.

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

Zilla wrote:
> You may try the SH-55 multi-release cleats. I checked the Shimano site and they are compatible
> with your pedals. With them, you don't have a unclip at a certain angle/foot motion. The
> "disadvantage", as some would say, it that you get un-clipped when you don't want to. I tighten
> mine more to overcome this problem.

Multi-release are horrible.

"Penny S." <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...

> by now you've probably read that the platform/clip combo isn't a great
idea.
> I'd suggest you have your clips checked out to make sure they are set up properly, put just a DROP
> of dry lube on the spring in th pedal, make sure they are set loose, go find a big grassy lawn and
> practice your release.

Why? I have those on the commuter and they are great. E.g. my wife picked me up from work on Friday
and I forgot my bike shoes at the office. I can ride in tomorrow in sandals and ride home with my
bike shoes.

Would I ride them on the trail? No. They are heavy and annoying to clip into because the SPD side
always seems to end up on the bottom.

-Dave

Dave Stocker thoughtfully penned:
> "Penny S." <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> by now you've probably read that the platform/clip combo isn't a great idea. I'd suggest you have
>> your clips checked out to make sure they are set up properly, put just a DROP of dry lube on the
>> spring in th pedal, make sure they are set loose, go find a big grassy lawn and practice your
>> release.
>
> Why?

you said it yourself somewhere, they alway flip over to the wrong side up. that may be fine for
commuting but it really sucks on the trail. I thought we were talking about mountain biking here.

> Would I ride them on the trail? No. They are heavy and annoying to clip into because the SPD side
> always seems to end up on the bottom.

exactly. This is a mountain biking group, not a commuter biking group.

Penny

"Penny S." <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...

> exactly. This is a mountain biking group, not a commuter biking group.

So what is it called when you sneak some trail riding into your commute? mountain-commuter-biking?
mountain-commuting?

I think I will go ride now.

-Dave