newbie clipless question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejonica

Oct 1, 2003
hi,
does the tension on the clipless pedals wear out after a while?
I got some entry level shimano spd??? pedals (single side, grey colour).
I've had them since august or so, i feel that it's getting much easier to release and i constantly hear clicking sounds when i pull up on the pedal when climbing hills..

Is it just me getting more and more used to them or do the springs wear out etc? i've wound the tension up to nearly max so far..

They're my 1st clipless so take it easy on the flames:)

Oh, and is the look pedal system better? I may get a new bike next year and my shoes have cleats for both spd and look

"dejonica" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi, does the tension on the clipless pedals wear out after a while? I

The cleats can wear out. I guess the spring tension could get lower over time.

> got some entry level shimano spd??? pedals (single side, grey colour). I've had them since august
> or so, i feel that it's getting much easier to release and i constantly hear clicking sounds when
> i pull up on the pedal when climbing hills..

They shouldn't be wearing out from August. I've had spd's and have ridden thousands of k's on them
over 2 or 3 years and they are only just starting to click on the upstroke.

Okay, I thought you were talking about mountain bike SPD's here. If you mean the road-version
SPD-R's then I'm not sure about their lifespan.

> Is it just me getting more and more used to them or do the springs
wear
> out etc? i've wound the tension up to nearly max so far..

Have you ever pulled out of them? e.g. when sprinting?

> They're my 1st clipless so take it easy on the flames:)

Okay.. "there there flames.. nice flames.. can i get you anything?" ;-)

> Oh, and is the look pedal system better? I may get a new bike next
year
> and my shoes have cleats for both spd and look

Do you ride road or mtb? Are you using SPD or SPD-R pedals? Or maybe even the SPD-SL pedals - the
new "lance" style pedal?

There have been a couple of threads recently about pedal systems.

hippy

Originally posted by Hippy
"dejonica" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi, does the tension on the clipless pedals wear out after a while? I

The cleats can wear out. I guess the spring tension could get lower over time.

> got some entry level shimano spd??? pedals (single side, grey colour). I've had them since august
> or so, i feel that it's getting much easier to release and i constantly hear clicking sounds when
> i pull up on the pedal when climbing hills..

They shouldn't be wearing out from August. I've had spd's and have ridden thousands of k's on them
over 2 or 3 years and they are only just starting to click on the upstroke.

Okay, I thought you were talking about mountain bike SPD's here. If you mean the road-version
SPD-R's then I'm not sure about their lifespan.

> Is it just me getting more and more used to them or do the springs
wear
> out etc? i've wound the tension up to nearly max so far..

Have you ever pulled out of them? e.g. when sprinting?

> They're my 1st clipless so take it easy on the flames:)

Okay.. "there there flames.. nice flames.. can i get you anything?" ;-)

> Oh, and is the look pedal system better? I may get a new bike next
year
> and my shoes have cleats for both spd and look

Do you ride road or mtb? Are you using SPD or SPD-R pedals? Or maybe even the SPD-SL pedals - the
new "lance" style pedal?

There have been a couple of threads recently about pedal systems.

hippy

Ahh apologies, i should have put more detail:)
Theyre road pedals / shoes. The pedals are these ones:
http://www.bikeusa.com/MERCHANT2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MSGI&Product_Code=PD6470
Shimano A515.

The shoes are those 3 strap blue and white shimano SPD-SL road shoes. I've had to do a bit of walking here and there on concrete (cut my front tyre on glass 2km's from home on the weekend:( ) with those so i guess perhaps the cleats are wearing out

dejonica wrote:

> hi, does the tension on the clipless pedals wear out after a while? I got some entry level shimano
> spd??? pedals (single side, grey colour). I've had them since august or so, i feel that it's
> getting much easier to release and i constantly hear clicking sounds when i pull up on the pedal
> when climbing hills..

> Is it just me getting more and more used to them or do the springs wear out etc? i've wound the
> tension up to nearly max so far..

I've used a variety of shimano and other branded SPD style pedals, all with similar results. They
all work, but I've occasionally stripped them down and re-built them (especially the MTB pedals
because they get abused).

I stop clicks and squeaks by spraying a bit of wax lube on the pedal surface every so often.

I've never had to tighen them to maximum, (nowhere near that actually), have you checked they're
not being obstructed by anything?

Another thing to look out for, is if you do any substancial walking in your shoes, you WILL wear
the clips out. Some shoes are better than others, and some have a plastic shroud around the clip,
to take the walking pressure off the metal clip itself. Do you hear metal crunching when you walk
with the shoes on concrete?

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org

Status
Not open for further replies.