General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Newbie confused about some vegan things

Started by Cheerful Pickle · · Last activity · 4 posts · 261 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 May 2004
Last activity
8 May 2004
Original author
Cheerful Pickle
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
261
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi, gang,

    Three months ago, under medical advice, I adopted a vegan
    diet (no animal products, though I have not yet totally
    weaned myself off of honey but will probably be off it, too,
    in a month or so) to aid the healing of my heart. In the
    process, I found out that the diet also reduced my
    esophageal reflux symptoms by 75%.

    Yesterday, I discovered this newsgroup.

    I am a bit confused about some concerns I see in this
    newsgroup. First, I see where there is concern about
    vitamins being vegan. In looking at the list of ingredients,
    I see no way of telling the source of the vitamins and
    minerals. Besides, vitamin C, for instance, should be
    precisely the same chemical whether it comes from a bush,
    from a goat or from a test tube.

    Second, I see concern about sunscreen being vegan. Sunscreen
    in something very important to me, having already had over
    100 skin cancers (of all kinds known to medical science). In
    looking over the list of ingredients in my sunscreen, all I
    see are things whose names make it sound like they are made
    in test tubes and not in either animals or plants. Besides,
    who eats sun screen, anyway? Yuk, now that is a nasty
    thought. Additionally, as many skin cancers as I have had,
    there is no way in the world I would drive myself crazy to
    find "vegan" sunscreen (whatever that is) for the one bottle
    of sunscreen I buy a year for protection for the very few
    times I actually find it absolutely essential to venture out
    into the sun.

    --
    Andy Rugg The Cheerful Pickle to email me please remove
    "postheap" from my email address. Thanks.

  2. Cheerful Pickle said:

    Hi, gang,

    Three months ago, under medical advice, I adopted a vegan
    diet (no animal products, though I have not yet totally
    weaned myself off of honey but will probably be off it,
    too, in a month or so) to aid the healing of my heart. In
    the process, I found out that the diet also reduced my
    esophageal reflux symptoms by 75%.

    Yesterday, I discovered this newsgroup.

    I am a bit confused about some concerns I see in this
    newsgroup. First, I see where there is concern about
    vitamins being vegan. In looking at the list of
    ingredients, I see no way of telling the source of the
    vitamins and minerals. Besides, vitamin C, for instance,
    should be precisely the same chemical whether it comes
    from a bush, from a goat or from a test tube.

    Second, I see concern about sunscreen being vegan.
    Sunscreen in something very important to me, having
    already had over 100 skin cancers (of all kinds known to
    medical science). In looking over the list of ingredients
    in my sunscreen, all I see are things whose names make it
    sound like they are made in test tubes and not in either
    animals or plants. Besides, who eats sun screen, anyway?
    Yuk, now that is a nasty thought. Additionally, as many
    skin cancers as I have had, there is no way in the world I
    would drive myself crazy to find "vegan" sunscreen
    (whatever that is) for the one bottle of sunscreen I buy a
    year for protection for the very few times I actually find
    it absolutely essential to venture out into the sun.


    If you mind the origin of these chemicals is up to you. It's
    not easy to find out, you have to contact the manufacturer
    and then stick with it.

    As for sunscreen. If you want to avoid using it, consider
    wearing large clothes, much like the nomad folks do in the
    deserts 🙂 There are also special fabrics designed to block
    more UV you might want to look into that aswell.

    Good luck.

  3. "Cheerful Pickle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, gang,

    Three months ago, under medical advice, I adopted a vegan
    diet (no animal products, though I have not yet totally
    weaned myself off of honey but


    will

    Quoted message said:

    probably be off it, too, in a month or so) to aid the
    healing of my heart. In the process, I found out that the
    diet also reduced my esophageal


    reflux

    Quoted message said:

    symptoms by 75%.

    Yesterday, I discovered this newsgroup.

    I am a bit confused about some concerns I see in this
    newsgroup. First, I see where there is concern about
    vitamins being vegan. In looking at the list of
    ingredients, I see no way of telling the source of the
    vitamins


    and

    Quoted message said:

    minerals. Besides, vitamin C, for instance, should be
    precisely the same chemical whether it comes from a bush,
    from a goat or from a test tube.

    IMO, if you're on the diet for health reasons only, then
    searching for minutiae probably isn't going to be something
    you'll have to do, unless your doctor thinks that a pill
    with gelatin in, or iron from animal sources will harm you.
    In that case, I'd listen to him or her. Otherwise, it's
    probably not that important.

    When people are on a vegan diet for ethical reasons, it's a
    different matter. That's why they make sure they're not
    consuming or using animal products even in very tiny amounts
    (at least as far as is reasonable).

    Quoted message said:

    Second, I see concern about sunscreen being vegan.
    Sunscreen in something very important to me, having
    already had over 100 skin cancers (of all kinds known to
    medical science). In looking over the list of ingredients
    in my sunscreen, all I see are things whose names make it
    sound like they are made in test tubes and not in either
    animals or plants.

    The thread about sunscreen involves the fact that ethical
    vegans avoid products that are derived from animals because
    they don't wish to contribute to the raising of farm animals
    for meat. Unless your doctor tells you that an animal-
    product derived sunscreen would harm you, then by all means
    keep on using whatever sun screen you need to use.

    A lot of the conversations in here involve ethical vegans,
    which are very different from vegans who are merely on the
    diet for health reasons. Veganism involves not only a diet,
    but a lifestyle, if one is doing it for ethical reasons.
    They avoid wearing leather clothing, fur, etc. as well. Much
    of veganism has nothing to do with diet.

    If you're on a vegan "diet" then talk to your doctor about
    how strict you need to be to stay healthy. It's quite
    possible that a tiny amount of gelatin in a vitamin capsule
    or a little cheese in a spaghetti sauce won't harm you.

    Quoted message said:

    Besides, who eats sun screen, anyway? Yuk, now that is a
    nasty thought.

    Veganism for ethical reasons isn't about eating, it's about
    a total lifestyle of avoiding animal and animal-derived
    products. Some won't eat white sugar because it was filtered
    through bone char, even though there is no bone material in
    the sugar itself.

    Quoted message said:

    Additionally, as many skin cancers as I have had, there is
    no way in the world I would drive myself crazy to find
    "vegan" sunscreen (whatever that is) for the


    one

    Quoted message said:

    bottle of sunscreen I buy a year for protection for the
    very few times I actually find it absolutely essential to
    venture out into the sun.

    Ethical vegans want to find vegan sunscreen because they
    seek to use as few animal products as possible. If you're on
    a diet for health reasons, these kinds of things should be
    irrelevant to you.

    -Rubystars

  4. ----------
    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Rubystars said:

    "Cheerful Pickle" <[email hidden]>
    wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, gang,

    Three months ago, under medical advice, I adopted a vegan
    diet (no animal products, though I have not yet totally
    weaned myself off of honey but


    will

    Quoted message said:

    probably be off it, too, in a month or so) to aid the
    healing of my heart. In the process, I found out that the
    diet also reduced my esophageal


    reflux

    Quoted message said:

    symptoms by 75%.

    Yesterday, I discovered this newsgroup.

    I am a bit confused about some concerns I see in this
    newsgroup. First, I see where there is concern about
    vitamins being vegan. In looking at the list of
    ingredients, I see no way of telling the source of the
    vitamins


    and

    Quoted message said:

    minerals. Besides, vitamin C, for instance, should be
    precisely the same chemical whether it comes from a bush,
    from a goat or from a test tube.

    IMO, if you're on the diet for health reasons only, then
    searching for minutiae probably isn't going to be something
    you'll have to do, unless your doctor thinks that a pill
    with gelatin in, or iron from animal sources will harm you.
    In that case, I'd listen to him or her. Otherwise, it's
    probably not that important.

    When people are on a vegan diet for ethical reasons, it's a
    different matter. That's why they make sure they're not
    consuming or using animal products even in very tiny
    amounts (at least as far as is reasonable).

    Quoted message said:

    Second, I see concern about sunscreen being vegan.
    Sunscreen in something very important to me, having
    already had over 100 skin cancers (of all kinds known to
    medical science). In looking over the list of ingredients
    in my sunscreen, all I see are things whose names make it
    sound like they are made in test tubes and not in either
    animals or plants.

    The thread about sunscreen involves the fact that ethical
    vegans avoid products that are derived from animals because
    they don't wish to contribute to the raising of farm
    animals for meat. Unless your doctor tells you that an animal-
    product derived sunscreen would harm you, then by all means
    keep on using whatever sun screen you need to use.

    A lot of the conversations in here involve ethical vegans,
    which are very different from vegans who are merely on the
    diet for health reasons. Veganism involves not only a diet,
    but a lifestyle, if one is doing it for ethical reasons.
    They avoid wearing leather clothing, fur, etc. as well.
    Much of veganism has nothing to do with diet.

    If you're on a vegan "diet" then talk to your doctor about
    how strict you need to be to stay healthy. It's quite
    possible that a tiny amount of gelatin in a vitamin capsule
    or a little cheese in a spaghetti sauce won't harm you.

    Quoted message said:

    Besides, who eats sun screen, anyway? Yuk, now that is a
    nasty thought.

    Veganism for ethical reasons isn't about eating, it's about
    a total lifestyle of avoiding animal and animal-derived
    products. Some won't eat white sugar because it was
    filtered through bone char, even though there is no bone
    material in the sugar itself.

    Quoted message said:

    Additionally, as many skin cancers as I have had, there is
    no way in the world I would drive myself crazy to find
    "vegan" sunscreen (whatever that is) for the


    one

    Quoted message said:

    bottle of sunscreen I buy a year for protection for the
    very few times I actually find it absolutely essential to
    venture out into the sun.

    Ethical vegans want to find vegan sunscreen because they
    seek to use as few animal products as possible. If you're
    on a diet for health reasons, these kinds of things should
    be irrelevant to you.

    -Rubystars

    If you decide to check into 'sunscreen' clothing, contact
    your local Lupus Foundation; they've got a wide variety
    available, since lupus people are typically very
    photosensitive, which causes lupus to flare. I'm not vegan
    but vegetarian, so I can't help with the other questions.

    Candi

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.