newbie "Cramming" for Century ride - suggestions?

robgreen

Aug 16, 2004
Okay, so after 20-odd years of not cycling, I got the bug again after watching the Tour de France. I went out an picked up an entry level road bike (stay cheap in case the enthusiasm wears off in a few months) and I am thinking of entering one of the short (20 or 25 mile) legs of the local Century Ride at the end of September.

I took the bike out for the first spin on Sunday and did about 30 minutes of moderate hill climb (200 or 300 vertical feet rise over 1.5 to 2 miles) before I was beat. Average speed was about 13 mph, with 8 or 9 on the uphill grade.

Any suggestions for the best approach to training for this? By "best" I mean, what do you suggest will be the most productive use of the next 4 weeks to help me succeed on this ride? Oh, and if you're riding the Honolulu Century ride, you can wave on the way by as you drop me =-)

Thanks!

Rob

robgreen said:
Okay, so after 20-odd years of not cycling, I got the bug again after watching the Tour de France. I went out an picked up an entry level road bike (stay cheap in case the enthusiasm wears off in a few months) and I am thinking of entering one of the short (20 or 25 mile) legs of the local Century Ride at the end of September.

I took the bike out for the first spin on Sunday and did about 30 minutes of moderate hill climb (200 or 300 vertical feet rise over 1.5 to 2 miles) before I was beat. Average speed was about 13 mph, with 8 or 9 on the uphill grade.

Any suggestions for the best approach to training for this? By "best" I mean, what do you suggest will be the most productive use of the next 4 weeks to help me succeed on this ride? Oh, and if you're riding the Honolulu Century ride, you can wave on the way by as you drop me =-)

Thanks!

Rob
20-25 miles by the end of September is certainly achievable. You might even be able to tackle half of the century.

Basically, the best course of action I've observed is TITS (Time in the Saddle).

Ride 6 days a week - rain or shine for a minimum of 90 mins - 2 hrs. Make at least one day 4 hrs.

Take 5 min breaks on the hour. Take food/water.
Eat and drink before you yearn for either.