Newbie: Forearm building advice?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Kevin, Feb 5, 2005.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Hi all,

    I bought a pair of dumbells with the view to building up the muscles in my
    arms and especially my forearms which are quite thin.

    I'm interested in finding the dumbel exercise that is best for building
    muscle in this area. The closest method Ive found so far is the hammer curl
    but I'm wondering if there are more effective methods?

    Thanks in advance!

    Tags:

  2. "Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I bought a pair of dumbells with the view to building up the muscles
    > in my arms and especially my forearms which are quite thin.
    >
    > I'm interested in finding the dumbel exercise that is best for
    > building muscle in this area. The closest method Ive found so far is
    > the hammer curl but I'm wondering if there are more effective methods?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    http://www.ironmind.com

    http://www.exrx.net

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  3. tabber

    tabber Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > "Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I bought a pair of dumbells with the view to building up the

    muscles
    > > in my arms and especially my forearms which are quite thin.
    > >
    > > I'm interested in finding the dumbel exercise that is best for
    > > building muscle in this area. The closest method Ive found so far

    is
    > > the hammer curl but I'm wondering if there are more effective

    methods?

    > > Thanks in advance!

    HAMMER CURLS are the best dumbell exercises for building your forearms
    hands down!

  4. A.M

    A.M Guest

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 02:45:50 -0000, "Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I bought a pair of dumbells with the view to building up the muscles in my
    >arms and especially my forearms which are quite thin.
    >
    >I'm interested in finding the dumbel exercise that is best for building
    >muscle in this area. The closest method Ive found so far is the hammer curl
    >but I'm wondering if there are more effective methods?
    >
    >Thanks in advance!

    You'll probably find that you'll get the best results with wrist
    curls, if hypertrophy is what you seek.
    Also try wrapping something over the handle of your dumbell (thus
    making it thicker) to make it more of a grip workout. You can also
    break a broom handle over your knee (or your head, if you so prefer),
    tie a rope to the middle, and attach your dumbell to the rope. Then
    you can do wristrolling.

    Those should get you started.

  5. Hammer Girl

    Hammer Girl Guest

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 02:45:50 -0000, Kevin <[email protected]> posted
    <news:[email protected]> in misc.fitness.weights:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I bought a pair of dumbells with the view to building up the muscles in my
    > arms and especially my forearms which are quite thin.
    >
    > I'm interested in finding the dumbel exercise that is best for building
    > muscle in this area. The closest method Ive found so far is the hammer curl
    > but I'm wondering if there are more effective methods?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Hammer curls are great. Another possibilty is to do "reverse curls", with
    your palms facing the floor.

    /hg

    --
    "Forget about likes and dislikes. They are of no consequence. Just do what
    must be done. This may not be happiness, but it is greatness." - George

  6. Lordy

    Lordy Guest

    "Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I bought a pair of dumbells with the view to building up the muscles
    > in my arms and especially my forearms which are quite thin.
    >
    > I'm interested in finding the dumbel exercise that is best for
    > building muscle in this area. The closest method Ive found so far is
    > the hammer curl but I'm wondering if there are more effective methods?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    I've not tried hammer curls, but I would have thought the best exercises to
    build forearms dont use dumbells. (Or at least use VERY heavy ones).

    I'm not a BBer or powerlifter etc, but my experience is that my forearms
    respond quicker to grip work than curl work.

    My forearms blew-up when I started deadlifting. Combined with pull-ups that
    was all I needed to see significant forearm growth.
    --
    Lordy

  7. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Thanks for all the advice guys, that's really helpful! I'll be sure to try
    it all out.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    tabber <[email protected]> wrote:

    >HAMMER CURLS are the best dumbell exercises for building your forearms
    >hands down!

    What if I'm willing to do an exercise that moves my hands up?

    Seth
    --
    Who cares? Shut up and lift. -- Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

  9. Lordy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >My forearms blew-up when I started deadlifting. Combined with pull-ups that
    >was all I needed to see significant forearm growth.

    Most of the muscles in your forearms are connected by
    long tendons to your fingers. So yes, it's a lot about
    a grip thing.

    There are also some muscles in the forearm connecting
    the forearm bones to the humerus. The brachio-radialis,
    for instance. They would benefit from elbow extension
    and flexion exercises (curls and presses).

    There are also muscles connecting the radius and ulna
    together. They want supinating and pronating exercises.

    To get a hard burn in the top of your forearm, grip a
    10-lb plate with your middle finger through the hole and
    the heel of your palm at or off the edge. Point your arm
    straight down, keep your elbow straight and raise just
    your hand so your palm and the weight are flat relative to
    the floor and the back of your hand is skyward. Do that
    about 10 times and tilt the weight around at the top.
    Do it at the end of your workout, too, because you won't
    want to lift much afterward. And try to look cool doing
    it; that's probably the hardest part.

    --Blair
    "12-ounce curls and beating your meat
    count as aerobic exercise, so get back
    into the gym, after you wash your hands,
    you drunken jagoffs."

  10. Willie D

    Willie D Guest

    The "Farmer's Walk" will work your entire forearms in one shot and give
    you a good pump to boot. Just grab a pair of heavy dumbells and hold
    them paralell down your sides and walk for 30 seconds like you are
    holding on a wheelbarrow.

  11. "Willie D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The "Farmer's Walk" will work your entire forearms in one shot and
    > give
    > you a good pump to boot. Just grab a pair of heavy dumbells and hold
    > them paralell down your sides and walk for 30 seconds like you are
    > holding on a wheelbarrow.

    If you don't mind your Farmer's Walks taking twice as long, you can get
    a great oblique workout by doing them one hand at a time. I weigh about
    150 lbs. and do this with 90 lb. kettlebells (a pretty thick handle),
    and in the winter, I usually just stand in place for time. When the
    weather's nice, I try to walk around the outside of the house once or
    something similar.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  12. N.B. I looked in Gray's Anatomy, and had to count twice.

    There are 21 muscles with their bellies in your forearms.

    9 flexors, 9 extensors, and 3 rotators.

    --Blair
    "Happy hefting."

  13. elzinator

    elzinator Guest

    Thus many movements that use the arms recruit the forearms. Chin ups
    are an excellent forearm recruitment, but nearly any of the back
    exercises do as well. Or try pruning trees with loppers for 5 hours.
    It's all forearm/wrist work (with an occasional pec squeeze).

  14. T

    T Guest

    Blair P. Houghton wrote:

    > N.B. I looked in Gray's Anatomy, and had to count twice.
    >
    > There are 21 muscles with their bellies in your forearms.
    >
    > 9 flexors, 9 extensors, and 3 rotators.
    >
    > --Blair
    > "Happy hefting."

    So: flex, extend, rotate, and you're done?

  15. T <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Blair P. Houghton wrote:
    >
    >> N.B. I looked in Gray's Anatomy, and had to count twice.
    >>
    >> There are 21 muscles with their bellies in your forearms.
    >>
    >> 9 flexors, 9 extensors, and 3 rotators.

    >So: flex, extend, rotate, and you're done?

    Yes. Flex, and extend each finger separately, and flex and
    extend and rotate your hands. Rotating your fingers is left
    for the experts.

    --Blair
    "Herding cats is probably a good workout."