Newbie Frame Size Question 56 v. 53cm

Britt

Aug 11, 2003
Ok... Be nice here. :confused:

I bought a Specialized Allez a couple of years back and haven't ridden it much over the past couple of years. The brakes have always seemed just a tad out of reach for me. I'm able to do it, but not comfortably. I've wondered if it was due to inexperience. But, then...

I've been reading several articles about frame size. My frame is a 56cm. According to the inseam times *65 formula shows I should be riding a 53cm frame, which leads to my question.

How big a difference is a 56cm versus a 53cm frame really going to make to a newbie cyclist? Or, is this just such a small difference that it isn't going to really make much difference and I need to spend more time on the bike to become more comfortable with it?

Thanks.

Britt said:

I bought a Specialized Allez a couple of years back and haven't ridden it much over the past couple of years. The brakes have always seemed just a tad out of reach for me. I'm able to do it, but not comfortably. I've wondered if it was due to inexperience. But, then...

I've been reading several articles about frame size. My frame is a 56cm. According to the inseam times *65 formula shows I should be riding a 53cm frame, which leads to my question.

How big a difference is a 56cm versus a 53cm frame really going to make to a newbie cyclist? Or, is this just such a small difference that it isn't going to really make much difference and I need to spend more time on the bike to become more comfortable with it?

Thanks.
A 3 cm smaller frame could mean almost that much shorter length in toptube, and that would lessen reach. Assuming you have adequate standover clearance, you can compensate some for the too long reach with a shorter stem. More saddle time,flexibility and conditioning also help. If the bike is simply way too big, well that is just another matter.

boudreaux said:
A 3 cm smaller frame could mean almost that much shorter length in toptube, and that would lessen reach. Assuming you have adequate standover clearance, you can compensate some for the too long reach with a shorter stem. More saddle time,flexibility and conditioning also help. If the bike is simply way too big, well that is just another matter.

Boudreaux:

Thanks for the input. Your response about the toptube was part of my concern. I'll be interested to see what others say.

Thinking about going into a local bike shop and having them look at it as well. (Just not the one where I made the bike purchase - little upset with them at this point.)

Thanks again!

The formulas are just a starting point. Go to a good LBS and ask them if your bike fits. If it doesn't get rid of it and get a new one. If you are uncomfortable on your bike, you'll never want to ride it. A properly fit bike is way more important than components or frame or any of that ****.

I also suggest reading up a bit online about proper bike fit. Do all the tests you can find (actual real-world tests, not calculations and formulas). This way you can go into the LBS knowledgeable - always a good thing.

:cool: There is a huge difference Brit. The worst thing in your case is that you have a better chance of correcting a bike that is too small than one that is too big. Don't through it out just yet though. If you're not too used to riding on a road bike, that's one thing and it's easily corrected with a little time in the saddle. You mentioned not reaching the brakes easily...That's because a bike not only gets taller in larger sizes, but they also get longer. The top tube increases in length at about a 66% rate comparible to the seat tube. You can correct this with a couple new purchases. One is to get a shorter stem. The one you have is probably 100-110mm. These are available as short as 70mm (maybe even shorter). This will bring your handlebars backwards toward you. Next you can get a 'fast forward' seat post made by Profile Design. This will move your seat forward and closer to your front end. You could just slide your seat forward first after buying the new stem before putting out the extra $50 for the seat post. Now these alterations will make the bike fit a little better but they'll also change the overall properties of the bike. If you plan to spend a lot of time on the road, go to your local shop and discuss the changes you are thinking of making and they'll tell you how the changes will change the characteristics of the bike.
Good Luck!

Britt said:

Thanks.

cjohn said:
You can correct this with a couple new purchases. Next you can get a 'fast forward' seat post made by Profile Design. This will move your seat forward and closer to your front end. You could just slide your seat forward first .....
hooey! You don't cram the seat forward or use a fastforward seatpost to correct reach to bars.Seat for and aft is for preferred knee to pedal relationship.

OK... So I went to a bike store in the area with a better reputation than the one where the original purchase took place. They offered to set the bike up properly for me.

After about ten minutes of watching me ride the bike on a trainer, they recommended buying a new bike. They did suggest, and equipped, the bike with a smaller stem, but advised that the bike will turn much more quickly and offered a fairly stern warning about the safety of the new stem (This after my instance that there must be another solution than buying a whole new bike). The new stem is literally half of the old one.

I guess at this point I'm just so frustrated with the whole situation. I'm mad at the old bike shop that sold me an ill-fitting bike. This wasn't a mom and pop operation, but a bike store that is active in the cycling community in the area. Maybe they just had a bad day or it was the salesguy's first week or something. Either way - it just plain sucks.

Shelling out several hundred more dollars to buy the same bike I already have isn't all that attractive either. I know I'm not riding a Trek 5500 or anything, but still. Ugh...

Oh well, thanks for letting me a vent a little. Any other advice out there or thoughts on a tiny stem?

Thanks...

Britt said:
OK...

After about ten minutes of watching me ride the bike on a trainer, they recommended buying a new bike. They did suggest, and equipped, the bike with a smaller stem, but advised that the bike will turn much more quickly and offered a fairly stern warning about the safety of the new stem (This after my instance that there must be another solution than buying a whole new bike). The new stem is literally half of the old one.

A too short stem is not the best solution,but it's the one many have to resort to to get better fit,without buying a new bike or going custom. Steering imput will be more sensetive,but but can be lived with, and you will adjust to it with riding time.
Unfortunately, many shops sell what they have rather than what you need, and many 'sales' people should be swabbing toilets.

boudreaux said:
A too short stem is not the best solution,but it's the one many have to resort to to get better fit,without buying a new bike or going custom. Steering imput will be more sensetive,but but can be lived with, and you will adjust to it with riding time.
Unfortunately, many shops sell what they have rather than what you need, and many 'sales' people should be swabbing toilets.
You could always hock it on eBay to try and raise some cash. Or jam it back on the bike shop. They sure won't give you the cash back, but they might take it in at a good trade value. Never hurts to ask. Be sure to go when lots of people are around, ask for the manager, and be annoyed.

Well, after long discussions with the wife, we've decided to go and pick up another bike. A local bike shop has told us they will take the ill-fitting bike in on trade and we can buy a proper sized bike.

I hate it and will most likely never make another purchase at the shop that sold me the wrong bike again, but at least this way I'll have the right bike and can forget about this whole ordeal.

Thanks for all the great advice folks!