Newbie from Hong Kong

Leung Kwanpang

Guest
Guys, I am new here. And just want to buy a bike, so i can do some exercise in the weekend. When i
was in China, i did bike race every month, but that's very unprofessional. I just wanna catch up.
So, can you guys help me?
1. What kind of bike should i get? For both road and mountain use.
2. What's the average price of it?
3. Where can i get the information for cycling?
4. (in Hong Kong) Is it save to put my bike in the parking area of my building?
5. (in Hong Kong) Which is the best biking area in Tseung Kwan O?

Thank you guys a lot!

Pang

[email protected] (Leung Kwanpang) wrote:

> 3. (in Hong Kong) Is it save to put my bike in the parking area of my building?

It depends on whether your neighbours have SARS or not

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Leung
Kwanpang) wrote:

> Guys, I am new here. And just want to buy a bike, so i can do some exercise in the weekend. When i
> was in China, i did bike race every month, but that's very unprofessional. I just wanna catch up.
> So, can you guys help me?
> 1. What kind of bike should i get? For both road and mountain use.

If you're going to race, you'll need one bike for each. If you want one bike for riding on the roads
and off road, get a mountain bike and spend the $100-200 for a second set of wheels with slick tires
for the roads.

There are as many recommendations for a good road bike here as there are posters to this ng. I'd say
the basic guideline would be to go for a road bike equipped with integrated brake/shifter units
("brifteurs")--Campy Ergo or Shimano's STI--if you're serious about road racing. They won't make you
ride faster, but will help you shift faster, which is almost the same thing in a criterium race.
Furthermore, there aren't many bad road bikes out there with STI/Ergo.

Among mountain bikes, hardtails are still the best combo of performance and value. You can win a
local XC race no problem on a hardtail, though you may enjoy a good fs XC, all-mountain or freeride
bike more.

> 2. What's the average price of it?

Good road and mountain bikes start around $500 new, and US$1000 should get you a very nice example
of either. good full-suspension mountain bikes probably don't start below $1000.

> 3. Where can i get the information for cycling?

Sheldonbrown.com is the best place to start online.

Leung Kwanpang <[email protected]> wrote:
> Guys, I am new here. And just want to buy a bike, so i can do some exercise in the weekend. When i
> was in China, i did bike race every month, but that's very unprofessional. I just wanna catch up.
> So, can you guys help me?
> 1. What kind of bike should i get? For both road and mountain use.
> 2. What's the average price of it?
> 3. Where can i get the information for cycling?
> 3. (in Hong Kong) Is it save to put my bike in the parking area of my building?
> 4. (in Hong Kong) Which is the best biking area in Tseung Kwan O?
>
> Thank you guys a lot!
>

> Pan g

Hmmm. Geography was never my strong point, but is not Hong Kong in China?

And just for the record, is Wan-king still the capital?

"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Leung Kwanpang) wrote:
>
> > 3. (in Hong Kong) Is it save to put my bike in the parking area of my building?
>
> It depends on whether your neighbours have SARS or not

Ignore Tosi, most of his neighbors have VD, his family you know...mostly Malay immigrants!

Hawke

Try here for a bike http://www.xacd.com.cn/