Women's Cycling · Public discussion

newbie from N.Ireland

Started by connorjoj · · Last activity · 5 posts · 2,096 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Women's Cycling
Published
14 January 2007
Last activity
20 January 2007
Original author
connorjoj
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,096
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all, I'm new to this site and this is my 1st post!!
    I used to race about 15 years ago but I'm keen to get back
    into the cycling, I want to buy a ladies road bike and have
    been looking at the trek 1000 wsd. I'm 5'8 and have always ridden
    men's bikes [ladies specific weren't available in my day!!!] I was wondering
    if the ladies would be too small for me! any ideas???😕

  2. A WSD bike may not work for you ... I suggest you ignore those labels and concentrate on whether or not the bike actually fits you. You may find that a traditional "men's" frame is a better fit than a WSD frame. Only way to know is to test ride a selection of frames and go with the one that feels right.

  3. connorjoj said:

    Hi all, I'm new to this site and this is my 1st post!!
    I used to race about 15 years ago but I'm keen to get back
    into the cycling, I want to buy a ladies road bike and have
    been looking at the trek 1000 wsd. I'm 5'8 and have always ridden
    men's bikes [ladies specific weren't available in my day!!!] I was wondering
    if the ladies would be too small for me! any ideas???😕


    Firstly, hi and welcome. It's always good to see people getting back on their bikes after time off.

    Secondly, women's specific has the benefits of having things in proportion for women - stuff like handlebar width, length between seat and handlebar. I think you should give a wsd bike a test ride and see how you like it. But also test ride a man's bike. Test riding is the only way to get a good idea of which bike will suit your body shape best.

  4. Thanx for the advice, but, the problem I have is the bike shops near me wouldn't stock any wsd and would have to place a special order for one, so I'd pretty much need to know if I definitely wanted it before they would order!!🙁

    ausgirl said:

    Firstly, hi and welcome. It's always good to see people getting back on their bikes after time off.

    Secondly, women's specific has the benefits of having things in proportion for women - stuff like handlebar width, length between seat and handlebar. I think you should give a wsd bike a test ride and see how you like it. But also test ride a man's bike. Test riding is the only way to get a good idea of which bike will suit your body shape best.

  5. connorjoj said:

    Thanx for the advice, but, the problem I have is the bike shops near me wouldn't stock any wsd and would have to place a special order for one, so I'd pretty much need to know if I definitely wanted it before they would order!!🙁


    Is it possible for you to go somewhere that has a stock of WSD bikes you could look at? Don't know where in N.Ireland you are but maybe look up some shops in one of the larger cities (look over in Ireland too, if logistics permit) give them a call and plan a weekend away "bike shopping". Any cycling clubs in your area? Maybe get in touch with them and see if they can help point you in the direction of a bike shop that stocks WSD bikes.

    Problem is, unless you are absolutely sure about your bike measurements, buying one that sounds like it should fit could be a costly mistake.

    If you want to get a rough guide about what size frame you should be looking at go to the following site: http://www.wrenchscience.com/Store.aspx?stylecode=R click on "fit system" (you will need to register to actually get into the fit calculator) then enter all the measurements they ask for - you may need someone to help you take these - and at the end it will give you a bunch of measurements including recommended handlebar width, frame size, overall reach and saddle height. Use this as a guide when looking at the specifications for the various bikes you are considering. It will at least give you a starting point.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.