Newbie General Seeking Advice

SuzySwizleStick

Jun 29, 2004
Hello everyone!
I'm new to cycling and Would like to hear any advice any of you may have on the following. I have a 17' fuji Mt bike which I have been riding daily for about 2 months. I like my bike alot, it fits and rides well. But I laways wonder about things while i'm on my rides and I don't know anyone else to ask.
So...
Tell me about cleats and clipless pedals & other accessories worth a mention... I wear my Soloman treking shoes, when I ride. Are cleats and the like a worth while investment for someone who rides for personal fitness reasons only?

And saddle position....any comments.

I suppose I'm just looking for any info any of you may have for one who is just starting out relating to comfort and getting the maximum work out possible.

Thank you

Ride at a good cadence (ideally 90+ rpm). A general rule for seat height is: with your heel on the pedal (with or without the shoes you bike with), pedal backwards until you reach the bottom/6 o'clock position. Your leg should be straight, but your hips shouldn't rock.

I don't think cycling shoes/clipless pedals are necessary. That being said, they are a bit more comfortable/efficient than regular shoes. How far/long to do you ride on a usual session?

Thanks for the reply,
I ride approximatley 10 Miles (17 Km) on the road and at least 3 times a week I spend about 45 minutes on a pretty extreme trail near my house. I think it all adds to the same amount of work out ;)