newbie Heart Rate questions

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by croth, Apr 2, 2004.

1. croth

croth New Member

i am an obsessive urban fixed-gear rider with my first road bike and plans to start road racing. recently i purchased a Vetta V100HR heart rate monitor/cycling computer, and have been playing around with it. i got some feedback from it yesterday that frightened me, and now i am looking for some input regarding the data, as well as the reliability of these types of units.

here goes:

on the short ride home yesterday in heavy rain and high winds my average HR while in my target zone was 157, but i hit a MAX HR of 228 (says the vetta). is this possible? i am 34 years old, so my theoratical MAX HR should be around 186. the HR monitor says i only exceeded my upper limit (172) for 33 seconds with and average HR of 198 during that time, but at some point during that time it registered 228. wouldn't i be dead or something? i race a lot of hardcore messenger style events on the East Coast, so i'm no stranger to putting out max effort, but i've only just started to do anything close to serious training. i wore the HRM to bed and got a resting HR of about 48. i haven't done a real MAX HR test yet.

can these HR monitors give false readings?
    should i see a doctor?

any input appreciated....
    -croth

Tags:

2. ABogoni

ABogoni New Member

I'm only 17 years and I usually have the same problem. If the heart rate returns an unusually high reading then it is most likely that there’s a problem with the sensor on your chest. I need to use water to wet the inside of the sensor as much as possible to get an accurate reading, if the sensor is dry it tends to have problems picking up a plus and therefore it returns a wrong reading.

3. Mufasa

Mufasa New Member

Nah - u shouldnt worry too much - there is a possibility that your monitor did get a tad mixed up I guess but it is not at all implausable that your HR did get well into the 200's.

Everybody has there own HR characteristics and the 220 less age HR max is a very unreliable approximation. I am of the same age as you and happily plod along at an average 185 Hr in any given race and have tested my max HR in a lab at 226. My resting HR is 51 so also have a wide range. At first i was also rather concerned/confused but was informed by my cardiologist that there is no hassle nor any hard and fast rules - you may be at the extreme edge of the normal distbn, but probably no need to stress.

An additional comment is that your high HR may be a poor fitness indicator but given your post, that doesnt seem likely

4. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

If you hit a high HR for a brief period time then the result is most likely an interference problem.

I regularly get high HR errors from riding past electricity substations and telephone exchanges. Thats even with a polar coded HR strap.

to determine your true Max HR you will need to do a lab or field stress test.

5. chrispopovic

chrispopovic New Member

I owned a Vetta V100HR for about a year. I experienced a similar problem. I've had a Polar as well. I'm currently using a Ciclosport HAC4 and it seems to be a little more accurate. You might want to check the batteries. My Vetta used to chew through them every six months. One of the key issues that signaled a dying battery was the HR spiking high. Good luck.

6. Kayu

Kayu New Member

I think this replied to my worries....

I am 40, normal HR before starting the ride is usally 104 ~ 110. My average slow ride uphill is 165, when doing hardcore climbing and it reaches 198, I stopped and get down to walk. I think I still can continue if I want, but because of the indicator, I was worry that I might die if I continue to ride. The HR monitor indirectly affect my performance, I used to be hordcore rider and now scare to die type of rider......
    :D