newbie help - getting started

eupher

Aug 6, 2014
I'm looking for guidance on a smart way to get set up to reach some goals...

Me:
Mid-40's
5'9"
180 lbs
High cholesterol
Non-smoker
I have horrible natural aerobic capacity. For example, I recorded a 1.5 mile run when I was 40. The run took me 14:45 and my average heart rate was in the 190's. It was still 145-150 15 minutes after I finished the run (just standing around). I haven't biked in a few years, but when I used to go for leisure rides with friends on paved trails, my heart rate average would be in the 170's for a 40 mile ride at 12-15 mph.

Goals (in order of preference):
Improve aerobic conditioning
Lose weight (~30 lbs)
Gain endurance to enjoy 20-60 mile leisure rides with friends
Improve speed

Current gear:
Road bike
Wahoo KICKR

I know I'll need to get BTLE/ANT+ sensors for heart rate and cadence, but I'm struggling to figure out where to go from there. Most of the options I've seen so far seem to be based on getting as fast as possible and racing. I just want to get healthy and fit enough to enjoy casual rides. Should I be looking at something like trainerroad or does anyone have suggestions for something that might be better suited for my goals?

Thanks in advance.

First off I would suggest you consult your doctor about how much effort you can put forth. 30 Lbs is a pretty big goal considering your presentweight, but it can be done with patience. Consistency is the best method as in adjust your diet in regular portion, train consistently and sleep consistently.
I would suggest you start out with longer less intense ride until your body adjusts and you don't want to blow an artery if you don't know your limits. You can do more intense interval ride after you develop a benchmark for your fitness level.
The body tend to get into a routine even as far as trying to maintain a given weight so sometime weight comes off slowly. The good new is that once you hit 150 and stay there for a while it will attempt tto maintain that weight.
I am similar to you but decided my correct weight to be around 154 and I have maintained it within a couple of variable lbs for years now.
Be patient eat smart and find someone with similar goasl that is motivated. A training partner is a great motivational factor.

Thanks for the advice.

I've actually been to a doctor about my high heart rate and some tightness in my chest I was experiencing while exercising. After a couple tests they cleared me for exercise with no limitations.

150 as a target weight is a guess at this point, based on the fact that I was 145 for about 12 years of my adult life. I also dropped from 175 to 145 in 6 weeks when the air force starved me during basic training about 12 years ago. That did wonders for my metabolism...

Longer less intense rides sound great. I'm just not exactly sure how I make them easy enough and what my target heart rate should be. When I got my new trainer I spun for 10 minutes. The goal was just to try it out, focusing on pedaling form and taking it easy. I was putting out not much more than 100 watts.. maybe 120 tops.. and my heart rate was in the 180's within 8 minutes. Part of the problem was as I got my pedal stroke to be more efficient with a circular motion then I automatically started getting faster. It almost felt like it would take more effort to hold the pace back. Maybe that's what I need to try anyway.

I'm hoping to find some kind of structured software-driven plan that will dictate where my heart rate should be, and for how long, and control my kickr to make me follow the plan. Is that possible at my fitness level?

Thanks again.

It is certainly possible to structure a plan at any level. Eveyrones HR varies so this is something you need to determine.

Good luck with your cycling

When you begin, take it easy and enjoy nature. When you come home you should feel happy about the your ride not completely dead.

Start out with 2-3 days a week, doing 30min-45min. A rule of thumb is max 10% more volume per week.

Good luck, and enjoy

TrsinerRoad has some great options if you are looking for something to control the Kickr and give you structure.