Newbie here asking for opinions on what to buy

MattandTy'sDad

Sep 13, 2010
Hello,

I'm looking into purchasing my first road bike, mainly for fun, but I have a competetive side too so you never know.

Could you please post opinions on these two bikes:

2010 Motobecane Vent Noir:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/ventnoir_x.htm

or Cannondale CAAD9 6 from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170538989501&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I've read a lot of good things about the Motobecane Vent Noir, quality components and an overall great bike for the money, $699 from Cycle Spectrum (somewhat local) and free tune ups for life.

The Cannondale looks like a good deal for $920 on ebay, but shipping is $90 and I will probably have to pay a LBS to properly set it up, plus I'll need to purchase pedals as well.

I'm not too concerned about the approx $300 price difference especially if these bikes are comparable. But if the Cannondale is in a class by itself then I may go that route.

The Motobecane just seems like a very capable bike for the money as well as entry level.

Oh, by the way, I'm small stature at roughly 5'5" 145lbs and looking at 48cm bikes, any suggestions or input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

For $700 you're looking at a 5 year-old bike with Shimano Tiagra 9x3 STIs (dual control levers), a 105 10-speed rear derailleur, and Vuelta XRP Pro or Zerlolite (unspecified model) wheels. A lot has changed since this bike was made. XRP Pro wheels are no longer in the Vuelta catalog, and Zerolites are either $199.99 (Pro) or $149.99 (Comp). Having dealt with Vuelta's wheels and their warranty department, I am not as impressed as BikesDirect is.

In the current Trek catalog, the Sora-equipped 1.2 is probably the Vent Noir's closest competitor. It features a modern hydroformed (butted on the outside) aluminum frame with a tapered head tube, cleaner welds, and saddle and handlebar upgrades. MSRP is $929.99, and most dealers will discount that 5-8 percent either up front or when asked politely. And if you look around, you might find some new 2014 models hanging around, a little shopworn but guaranteed and supported, for around $700. And you get professional, guaranteed assembly, something that will cost $80-120 if you want it for the Vent Noir.

I'm not saying the Vent Noir isn't worth $700 in the disassembled state, but that BikesDirect is being less than up-front to say that the Vent Noir is comparable to a $1500 bicycle.

Man, I am a newbie as well. I feel that I do not know enough to make a decision yet. I looked at some bikes online and also some from Walmart. However, I think that the quality might be inferior. That is why I am asking everyone for advice on where to buy a good quality bike! Hope you find one too! Good luck!

jesolis said:
Man, I am a newbie as well. I feel that I do not know enough to make a decision yet. I looked at some bikes online and also some from Walmart. However, I think that the quality might be inferior. That is why I am asking everyone for advice on where to buy a good quality bike! Hope you find one too! Good luck!
At a bicycle shop. Visit several before pulling out your wallet. After you get some experience at this, though, you can play the bargain-hunter game with confidence.

You're right about those Wal~Mart bikes being inferior. Most of them end up in dumpsters after a year of use. And a lot of them are returned in 30 days for a money-back guaranty. After which, they go directly to the trash compacter in the back of the store.