Newbie here! Have a minute?

GinaNY

Aug 28, 2007
Don't know if this is where to start, but I bought my first bike in June (just got a little hybrid thing) but within about 20 miles I realized I had major BIKE LOVE.;) A few days later I learned that my next two favorite words were: GEL CHAMOIS.

So - I've been riding rail trails on the hybrid - flat, but still fun. I'm doing anything from 10 - 20 miles in a ride but I'm in pretty good shape, so I've never found out how far I could go if I had more time or knew of a better place to ride. In short, I'm ready for the next step.

I am planning to do two charity rides in September, 25 miles and 50 miles. But on my hybrid??

I assume it is time to grow up and buy a road bike, but I am overwhelmed.

Is there a place on this forum for me? I can see this becoming a MAJOR part of my fitness regime. I see the word century and I start to drool. I am so ready for this! Well - emotionally anyway. There is the small fact that I don't have the right bike, the right training etc. but that is why I'm here.:)

GinaNY said:
Don't know if this is where to start, but I bought my first bike in June (just got a little hybrid thing) but within about 20 miles I realized I had major BIKE LOVE.;) A few days later I learned that my next two favorite words were: GEL CHAMOIS.

So - I've been riding rail trails on the hybrid - flat, but still fun. I'm doing anything from 10 - 20 miles in a ride but I'm in pretty good shape, so I've never found out how far I could go if I had more time or knew of a better place to ride. In short, I'm ready for the next step.

I am planning to do two charity rides in September, 25 miles and 50 miles. But on my hybrid??

Is there a place on this forum for me? I can see this becoming a MAJOR part of my fitness regime. I see the word century and I start to drool. I am so ready for this! Well - emotionally anyway. There is the small fact that I don't have the right bike, the right training etc. but that is why I'm here.:)
I only started riding last December so I'm no pro at this but you should be able to do either ride with a hybrid.

I ride a fairly heavy mountain bike and I do 15-20 miles most days and a 30 mile route once a week. A lighter road bike would make it easier but it's not a requirement.

GinaNY said:

To buy a road bike and which one really is a question of funds. Check out 2 or 3 local bike shops, you will get the best answers there as well as have a better chance of finding the right questions. Do a lot of comparison shoping and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Like Drunken Biker said, you should be able to do 50 miles easily on your hybrid. A roadie will be a little lighter but not probably not enough to make a difference at your level, since you have only been riding two or three months. I don't know how your hybrid is set up. You might want to look into different tires that have less rolling resistance, but check with your LBS and see what is compatable with your rims.

This is a good time to be looking for a road bike though, lots of clearance sales. I suggest that you join a local bicycling club and ask some of its more experienced riders to help you go looking for a road bike. They've been where you are, but now they have the experience to help you out.

GinaNY said:

It sounds like you would be fine on your hybrid. I have a carbon road bike but I ride my mountain bike with slicks more often. I have not been riding long but about sixty miles a week. I have ridden 30 mile days several times and fifty once so far.

Interestingly enough, I'm primarily on a racing bike now and looking to buy a hybrid to log higher mileage rides. Since I was told by my bone doctor at the ripe old age of 40 that I have the early onset of spinal arthritis I've learned why lengthy rides on my racing bike have become increasingly uncomfortable on my back and shoulders. Blasts for 30-40 miles are just about max for me on my racing bike.

My Stumpjumper puts me in a more comfortable riding position. I can ride for about eight hours with no significant back pain so I can take longer rides, but it's slower going.

To bridge the gap between my racing and mountain bike I'm considering a Trek 7.7 or 7.6 FX. I expect it should be more comfortable than my racing bike, faster than my mountain bike, and more versatile than either. There are occassions where my racing or mountain bike are appropriate for the type of riding I want to do so I'll always own those types of bikes, but for more lengthy, comfortable rides a hybrid seems best suited for my needs.

Consider your own situation in regard to the goals you want to achieve and the type of riding you want to do before you decide if it's necessary to buy another bike. You may have the right tool for the job already.

Anyway, welcome to cycling and welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the forum!

If you have enough extra money for a good road bike, and you find one that fits you and you like (always test ride the bike for as far as they will let you) then go ahad and get one! If you cant, your current bike should do you fine. either way keep the current bike just for something to run to town or to the local store or just for a weekend slow cruise...

a century on a hybrid might be a bit too far, but if you can stay comfortable for it all, maybe youd make it. My brother knows a rail trail down in PA thats 56 miles one way and wants to ride it sometime..i better start racking up some miles!

Find a good bike shop near you, see what they reccommend and if you can afford it get at least shimano 105 on your bike, because it sounds like your going to be putting in a LOT of miles on the bike, and your gonna want good components.

ok ill shut up now, but keep enjoying cycling, i have been for the past....11 years, recently an MTB to roadie convert waiting to find some good off-road trails again. being out of shape and a bit overweight doesnt change how much fun i have on a bike

You can ride a hybrid just as far as you want to ride it, you just won't be able to ride it as fast.

Get a pair of bar ends, and you can have a couple of more hand positions, which is the main thing that will hurt you on long distances.

Don't get me wrong, a road bike will get you to 100 miles quicker than a hybrid, but it will cost you in dollars and possibly otherwise. Your body will need to become used to a different riding position, and will need to tolerate the slightly harsher ride that the more efficient bike will provide.

There are elements of comfort compromised in order to gain speed and efficiency.

I have ridden organized metric centuries (62+ miles) on a Giant Sedona DX with slick tires, at about 50 years old, and about 400 pound within the past couple of years. I haven't put in nearly the miles I would like this year, but I would only hesitate to do a century on the bike because it would take me too long to dcomplete it, leading to too many hours in the saddle.

My experience from my last two bike purchases is this is a great time to buy since the bike shops want the '07 models gone as they get the '08. Best of luck.

I'm sure you can ride this far, but personally I'd contact the ride organizers [or anyone whose done the rides in the past] and ask them what the usual times are. It's just no fun being 5 miles back of everyone else.

And I'd count the teeth on my gears. If your top end is in the range for road bikes, I think the upright stance and extra weight won't be a problem. But if not, well like I said: 5 miles back is no fun.

Here's a weird thought: ask your local bike shop or even pawn shop if they have any used models you could take for a longer than usual test ride. You may find you really like it.

Had a roadbike as a teenager, switched to mtn when they first got hot, loved them. After 30 years on mtn bikes, got a roadie again, just to mix things up.

I still love my full suspension mtn bike with tubeless tires: so comfy, so secure even in snow, loose gravel, etc.

BUT I looooooooove my road bike. Took a few miles to adapt, but wow, its a sweet ride. It just feels good, even when it hurts a little-- tight, fast, connected like it's part of me, or maybe I'm part of it.

So if you are really loving the whole bike thing, look for a low/no dollar way to explore some other aspects of the sport without having to committ massive cash.