newbie here: need advice on first road bike for charity event

psyc_law

Nov 20, 2007
First off id like to say hi to everyone as im new here and this is my first post!

Now a bit of a quick background for, i AM not an experienced cyclist, however I am a fitness freak. I recently signed up for a charity event called the big battlefield bike ride run by a charity called help for heroes.

Its basically a bike ride departing from Portsmouth before crossing to the beaches of Normandy, via Dieppe to the Somme and then to Calais.
We will THEN cross to Dover early on 1st June and travel by coach to London where we will join other rides in ANOTHER charity bike ride organised by H4H called the The Great British Hero Ride (GBHR) and form a large group that will ride through the capital to the Cenotaph.

Its a long old haul but im confident i can easily do it.

Now heres the bit a lot of you experienced riders are going to laugh at.

I dont know anything about bikes! lol

I need to buy a decent road bike on a budget (max £800)
(i will be using the bike again as plan to do a few more charity events)

Heres the next good bit, im raising money for injured soldiers and I am one!
I have nerve damage in my right hand which pretty much limits it and was wondering how easy/difficult it would be to modify the bike. i.e if i need to put both the brakes on one handle and also how the best position would be for me to ride.
i have a very light grip in my ride hand so was wondering if drop down handlebars would benefit me.
my right leg is also weaker than my left leg and a few people have told me that theres diffrent bikes that would cater for my sort of injurys.

so basically im looking for information/recommendation on a good value for money road/race bike and also info on how easy it would be for me to control the brakes.

Secondly, i would like advice on clothing and equipment. basically everything i will need for the ride but on a budget. from helmet down to shoes.

As i said i know this probably sounds stupid to more experienced riders but i have 6 months to train for this event and am extremely confident in myself. All im after is advice on a bike and equipment.

Thanks in advance :)

psyc_law said:
First off id like to say hi to everyone as im new here and this is my first post!...
All im after is advice on a bike and equipment.

Thanks in advance :)
Bike: Giant OCR1, good for touring, light, good components (about $1000 US) or similar. Don't know about the brake modification. Need to talk to your LBS.
Helmet: Bell; you can get one for about $40 US
SHorts: Century ride type. Good padding; probably an 8 panel design ($ 50 US)
SHoes: need a good pair of touring/road shoe. OR a sport shoe. Suggest a SDP cleat so that you can also walk around some. ($40 to $200 US)
Pedals: SPD road pedal or similar.($50-250)
Flat repair kit: patches, glue, tire rods, air cartridge, spare tube
Water bottles or hydration backpack
Sunglasses
Cycling gloves
arm/leg warmers
Shells: jacket for wind/rain and also rain pants (based on your post, i'm assuming this is a summer ride)