newbie - How to train with power?

mountaincycle

Nov 1, 2007
Over the past two years I have been training with heart rate only. I picked up a Powertap SL a month ago. So, I’m new to training with a Powertap. I’m reading the book on “How to train with power” by Allen Hunter and have completed the 20min. field test and know my FTP and workout zones/levels.

I would like to train on the schedule that Allen had printed in the back of the book with my zones/levels.

However, I have two questions.

(1) I only have about 9-10 hours a week to workout not 12+ If I cut back on Allen's planed hours, what day or hours should I cut out?

(2) On the long days, Sat. and Sunday I have no problem training 3-4 hours. straight. but,,,, ( on a couple of the days)
Monday – Friday is scheduled for 1.5 hour workouts. Can I split this up into two workouts? 45mins in the morning and 45mins in the afternoon?

Welcome to the world of power.:)

The schedule in the book was a sample only and would probably not suit many riders as it doesn't really take into account your own strengths/weaknesses, time constraints, riding goals, recent riding history and so on.

It was meant for illustrative purposes mostly to show a variety of workout types.

But if you insist on using it, then focus on the quality and reduce the volume. Split sessions are OK but some probably won't work with only 45 min.

You'd be better off with a good power coach though.

Many thanks Alex - yeah, you are very right on the taking into account my own strengths and weaknesses, time constraints, riding goals, recent riding history and so on..

also, I'm sure it would help to find a good coach, however, I guess I was looking for a easy way to build a program..

thanks again for pointing me in the right direction,

Mike

Alex Simmons said:
Welcome to the world of power.:)

The schedule in the book was a sample only and would probably not suit many riders as it doesn't really take into account your own strengths/weaknesses, time constraints, riding goals, recent riding history and so on.

It was meant for illustrative purposes mostly to show a variety of workout types.

But if you insist on using it, then focus on the quality and reduce the volume. Split sessions are OK but some probably won't work with only 45 min.

You'd be better off with a good power coach though.

mountaincycle said:
Many thanks Alex - yeah, you are very right on the taking into account my own strengths and weaknesses, time constraints, riding goals, recent riding history and so on..

also, I'm sure it would help to find a good coach, however, I guess I was looking for a easy way to build a program..

thanks again for pointing me in the right direction,

Mike
I'd have thought the easiest way would be to have someone else do it for you but I understand the desire to learn as well. There is plenty of good advice on this forum, so keep asking questions.

There are also many dozens of online training programmes out there but they have the same issues. They're OK for some but would be inferior to good coaching. Still some sort of half sensible plan will be better than JRA and club runs with no purpose at all.

While I don't usually overtly tout my coaching services, if interested drop me a note at:
[email protected]

or have a look here:
http://www.cyclecoach.com/

but there are other good coaches that hang around here too!

Good luck!