Newbie intro and a few questions

Motobecane11

Nov 24, 2011
Hello all!! I've been trying to make this post through an app for a couple days, and evidently the app doesn't work quite right. Anyways, I'm just getting started in cycling, I bought my first roadbike on Thanksgiving day. I've got a couple questions that some of the more experienced members might be able to help with. Firstly, my new/old ride is a Motobecane Mirage with Weinmann brakes and Suntour shiftgear. The frame is lugged steel. The front and rear rims are from different companies. One is dated 1974, the other 1975. Both hubs are stamped "Normandy", but in different styles of stamping. I was just curious if anyone knows of a good source/method of getting the year of production of my frame narrowed down. My other question applies to equipment. As a rookie, I'm wondering what equipment/accessories, to include stuff for me to wear and stuff for the bike to wear, would some of the more experienced riders suggest investing in. I plan to commute to and from work (4-7 miles one way) and kind of go from there as far as other riding goes. Thanks for any input!

Welcome abord. Well some things to have along with you would be items that would get out out of trouble, like when you get a flat. I would recommend that you get an under seat bag and put in it some tire related stuff. A tube or two, some tire levers some Co2's and or a tire pump tied to your frame. By all means if you don't know how to change a tire get some instruction and do it at home on each wheel, especially the rear wheel with the chain. You will want to know this stuff before you are trying it out on the street somewhere when it 100 degrees or raining or worse. A water bottle would be good too. Have fun and be safe. Good luck.

I agree with the above post, but get a good frame pump like the topeak road morph. Best portable pump Ive ever used. No problem at all getting up to 100psi. Its like having a mini floor pump. and make sure you have lights and reflectors and reflective clothing if you are going to commute year round.