Newbie-Intro and Questions

Motobecane11

Nov 24, 2011
Hello all!! I've been trying to make this post through an app for a couple days, and evidently the app doesn't work quite right. Anyways, I'm just getting started in cycling, I bought my first roadbike on Thanksgiving day. I've got a couple questions that some of the more experienced members might be able to help with. Firstly, my new/old ride is a Motobecane Mirage with Weinmann brakes and Suntour shiftgear. The frame is lugged steel. The front and rear rims are from different companies. One is dated 1974, the other 1975. Both hubs are stamped "Normandy", but in different styles of stamping. I was just curious if anyone knows of a good source/method of getting the year of production of my frame narrowed down. My other question applies to equipment. As a rookie, I'm wondering what equipment/accessories, to include stuff for me to wear and stuff for the bike to wear, would some of the more experienced riders suggest investing in. I plan to commute to and from work (4-7 miles one way) and kind of go from there as far as other riding goes. thanks for any input!!

The Weinman brakes might be the only original equipment on this frame. Around the mid-70s most of these low-mid-level bikes got Dia Compe brakes, the Asian copy, so my guess is the bike is early to mid-70s Don't sweat it, it's not valuable except possibly to hipsters or aging boomers trying to relive their college days.

Clean it, tune it, and ride it. If you're going to live with it for a while, replace or repair anything that's bent or worn out, get it some clip-in pedals and shoes, a decent saddle, and for God's sake, tape the handlebar.

Thank you sir! I really appreciate the dating info on the brakes. I got it all set up with new tires and tubes and brake pads. It rides really nice. Still have to take the rear wheel to the LBS as I don't have the tool to take down the freewheel and re-pack those bearings. The bars have some pretty nice foam on them already, but the saddle is pretty brutal. Anyone got any suggestions for what would make a nice improvement on there? Thanks again guys, all help is appreciated.

The saddle on a road bike is designed to be like that. Get some good bike shorts at your LBS. They have padding in them. Also, you don't wear underwear with them.

Originally Posted by Motobecane11 .

Thank you sir! I really appreciate the dating info on the brakes. I got it all set up with new tires and tubes and brake pads. It rides really nice. Still have to take the rear wheel to the LBS as I don't have the tool to take down the freewheel and re-pack those bearings.
The bars have some pretty nice foam on them already, but the saddle is pretty brutal. Anyone got any suggestions for what would make a nice improvement on there?
Thanks again guys, all help is appreciated.
That's the way to do it, taking care of the safety issues and making it rideworthy first.

The saddles these bikes came with were pretty crappy. For commuting and all-around riding I strongly recommend an upgrade here. Ask your dealer to show you some WTB mountain bike saddles. These are durable and comfortable for the sporty rider--not too plush, not to wide, and with steel rails, not too expensive.