Newbie intro and trailer question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Great_gusto, Feb 12, 2003.

  1. Great_gusto

    Great_gusto Guest

    Hi, I am just cleaning the cob webs off of my bike as it has been put away for a very long time but
    I am getting ready to go out and enjoy the spring but would like to take my 7 mnth old with me, is
    she old enough for a rear seat / trailer? If so, what types are best?

    Many thanks

    Tags:

  2. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, great_gusto <[email protected]> writes
    >Hi, I am just cleaning the cob webs off of my bike as it has been put away for a very long time

    Hope it's got good brakes.

    > but I am getting ready to go out and enjoy the spring but would like to take my 7 mnth old with
    > me, is she old enough for a rear seat / trailer? If so, what types are best?

    At 7 months she's not really ready for a rear seat as they need to have goo neck muscles, and be
    able to hold their head up etc. 12 months is the usually recommended age for this. Though as with
    all things baby related, you really need to go by how your child is doing.

    She can go in a trailer, but not strapped in directly yet. But you can strap a baby car seat into
    most trailers (or even get a specific baby seat to strap in.

    I've no great experience of rear seats but we do have a trailer.

    Firstly have a peek on Google Groups, there are a couple of urc-lings on the way and there have been
    a few trailer threads over the last few months.

    One is current at the moment ' Trailer decision help needed!'

    You'll find that there is no such thing as the 'best trailer' so much depends on your own
    requirements, an of course your budget. If this is just for occasional weekend use then you might
    want a lower budget than for one to be used regularly all year round. It's really quite a difficult
    thing to make a choice.

    Some things to consider:

    strength of construction, roll-over protection etc.

    solid base or frame and fabric base. Comfort for the child, security and ease of use of the harness

    How easy and secure the hitch is

    How good and easy to use are the various weather covers. A mesh cover and a plastic rain cover
    is essential

    How easy is it to fold down.

    Most trailers are good at al of these, it all comes down to personal preference. Most aren't that
    cheap either, though worth the money IMO.

    At the budget end you have something like this for GBP 129:

    <http://www.gltc.co.uk/cgi-bin/sgin0102.cgi?UID=2003021222393240&T1=G1280
    &FNM=00&UREQA=X&UREQC=4&UREQD=5&GEN5=DIV02trailer>

    Steel frame and probably wheels, just a rain cover, hitch might not be so good, but probably
    works fine.

    There is one made by Phillips that I've seen around in a few places that seems similar.

    Two plus Two have a good selection:

    <http://www.twoplustwo.uk.com/ctrailers/index.html>

    <http://www.twoplustwo.uk.com/ctrailers/leg_class.html>

    Others to look at include:

    Burley

    http://www.burley.com/>

    Winther Dolphin:

    <http://www.winther-bikes.com/dolphin/dolphin.htm>

    Kool Stop:

    <http://www.koolstop.com/trailers/trailers.html>

    FWIW I have a Chariot Chauffeur with a Weber hitch, bought from Two plus Two.

    PS, and where's the piccie for uk.rec.cycling.littlecuties ?
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  3. Great_gusto

    Great_gusto Guest

    > FWIW I have a Chariot Chauffeur with a Weber hitch, bought from Two plus Two.
    >
    > PS, and where's the piccie for uk.rec.cycling.littlecuties ?
    > --
    > Chris French, Leeds

    Thank you for your message, at least I have a couple of months to have a good look around and buy
    what seat / trailer really suits us.

    No piccys, she's too beautiful to share:)

  4. great_gusto wrote:
    >> FWIW I have a Chariot Chauffeur with a Weber hitch, bought from Two plus Two.
    >>
    >> PS, and where's the piccie for uk.rec.cycling.littlecuties ?
    >> --
    >> Chris French, Leeds
    >
    > Thank you for your message, at least I have a couple of months to have a good look around and buy
    > what seat / trailer really suits us.
    >
    > No piccys, she's too beautiful to share:)

    How are your knees doing? Have you found a running route that avoids those hills?
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  5. Great_gusto

    Great_gusto Guest

    > How are your knees doing? Have you found a running route that avoids
    those
    > hills?
    > --
    > Michael MacClancy

    Not too hot. Guess that's me moving to Holland:)

    Have decided to give running a break, which very disappointed about but going back to cycling
    for a while.

  6. Rory

    Rory Guest

    "great_gusto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, I am just cleaning the cob webs off of my bike as it has been put away for a very long time
    > but I am getting ready to go out and enjoy the spring but would like to take my 7 mnth old with
    > me, is she old enough for a rear seat / trailer? If so, what types are best?

    Here's a Cannondale Bugger for sale: http://www.sell.com/2C4L8, but I wouldn't fancy it, if you have
    to brake hard and the draw-bar becomes dislodged (I guess that's how it got its name: see
    http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/massbike/onlinere/trailers/cannondale.recall)

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 19 Feb 2003 03:44:26 -0800, [email protected] (Rory) wrote:

    >Here's a Cannondale Bugger for sale: http://www.sell.com/2C4L8, but I wouldn't fancy it, if you
    >have to brake hard and the draw-bar becomes dislodged (I guess that's how it got its name: see
    >http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/massbike/onlinere/trailers/cannondale.recall)

    I wonder if 'dale will still be doing this now they've gone tits-up?

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Great_gusto wrote:
    > Hi, I am just cleaning the cob webs off of my bike as it has been put away for a very long time
    > but I am getting ready to go out and enjoy the spring but would like to take my 7 mnth old with
    > me, is she old enough for a rear seat / trailer? If so, what types are best?

    Seat is good once the child can sit up (which is normally from 9 months onwards), a good seat
    retails at about £(GBP) 40-50, I used Hamax Discovery. Rhode Gear have a seat that has a recline
    position for the younger child, but one is talking about nearly double the price.

    Trailers can be used earlier on the proviso that a car seat or other suitable restraint is firmly
    strapped in for the very young. I use a Burley D'Lite trailer which are almost the price (when
    new) of a good touring bike, but refurbished ex-hire trailers are available in the Autumn for
    about half price.

    HTH

    Gary

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.