Newbie Intro Thread

Discussion in 'Next Generation' started by KeSs, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Bootleg

Bootleg New Member

Name : Brandon
    Bike: Trek 5200 Carbon w/ Campy Record group
    Races: None and no desire to race.
    Goals: Increase fitenss, lose weight, extend my life and enjoy this planet
    Training: 3-4 rides per week between 14 and 22 miles of lumpy roads.
    Avg speed: 15-16 mph solo

2. BDoosey

BDoosey New Member

Name: Brian Doosey
    Location Cherry Hill, NJ
    Race? No, but once I get better, I aspire to compete in local races, and eventually even larger races.
    Goals? After watching this year's Tour de France (2009), I have become almost infatuated with the sport. Today was my very first day with this mind-set, so for now I hope to get into better shape, and saddle up with proper equipment.
    Bike? Globe Vienna 2 : Hybrid, I know, but I am not very wealthy, so I can't buy a road bike yet - Nor do I want to until I can really use it properly: Once I am in better shape.
    Daily Training:Well, today was my first ride with this dedicated mind-set, and I am not really sure what I did today, but I will try and find out and build up from there. Most likely I did about 8 miles. It will be more by the end of August. I will keep you all posted on my progress. :)

3. StepOffBigDee

StepOffBigDee New Member

Name : Daniel *call me Dan or Dig
    Bike: Bianchi Premio *saving up for a Motobecane Outcast 29
    Goals: Bike to school everyday when school starts. Bike everyday.

4. giantbikeguy

giantbikeguy New Member

Name: Drew
    Bike: Giant OCR 2
    Team: Baddlands Racing Team
    Races: Yes, the Twilight Series
    Longest Ride: 87 miles

5. Dr_hush1417

Dr_hush1417 New Member

Name: James Coal

Racing: None, just started.

Bike: used but very nice Specialized S-Works E5 2006 (silver ano paint)

Training: Mostly just clocking up kilometers whenever my friends want to, and whenever I have time.

Longest ride: 53km

Average speed: 20km/h

Goals: Stop getting dropped by my friends who have been riding much longer....:mad:

6. radsl

radsl New Member

Racing: not yet, but I will next year.
    Training: 10 miles on weekdays to school. Usually a 50+ mile ride on Saturdays and a short 30 mile ride on Sundays.
    Longest Ride: 110 miles
    Average Speed: 16-17 for a mountainous ride and 18-20 for a flat ride.
    Height and weight: 5'6" and 115 pounds.

7. rodrigooooooob.

rodrigooooooob. New Member

Name: Rodrigo
    Bike: coming soon...:)
    Racing: hopefully, once I get in better shape.
    Training: I would like to ride every other day, because of school.
    Goals: Lose weight. Get fit. Make friends. Have FUN.
    :cool:

8. DJD.

DJD. New Member

Name: David. S. Hallen.

Racing: None yet.

Training: 20-30 miles a day.

Bike: 20+ year old Fuji road bike.

Average speed: 20-25 mph.

Longest ride: around 65 miles, a little more as I had to take a long-cut because of construction.

9. yum

yum New Member

Ash McVicar
    16 (17 in 2 months)
    brand new
    avg speed approx 20 mph but just started training due to getting a trainer because of school :S looking forward to seeing improvements.
    longest ride 90 miles
    goals: havnt a clue try win a couple races in my first season

10. Navynuke

Navynuke New Member

Name: Justin

Location: Fort Worth, TX (Off to bootcamp in december then goose creek, SC in february

Racing: None (just started)

Bike: 1986 Bridgestone 450

Training: Everyday

Longest Ride: 30 mile alley cat on a track bike

Goal: Do a century

11. lovejenete

lovejenete New Member

Name: Jenete

Nickname: lovejenete

Racing: None (just started)

12. boje12

boje12 New Member

Hey.

My name is Guy, 17 y/o, male from South Africa.
    I have just recently started cycling myself but have been intersted and a follower of international racing(tdf, giro, vuelta, ect...) since around 2005.

I am on the quest to purchasing my own bike, as I hope to do races and get involved in this scene as soon as possible.

At the moment I am riding 4x30-45mins a week just to get started and not over-do it.

Cheers.

13. ewing9593

ewing9593 New Member

Name:Steven Ewing
    Location Manchester UK
    Race? No
    Goals? Get cycling
    Daily Training: non for cycling so far though I do weights and lots of running for lacrosse

14. yuriart10

yuriart10 New Member

Hello! I'm Yuri from Singapore. Now I'm studying in US. I'm 21 year old. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks!

15. jfhummel04

jfhummel04 New Member

Hi everyone just a newbie, looking forward to have lots of friends here, I am 30 years of age I am into writing, I love to write & blog, read novels & to get along with my friends. I am also into mountain biking, archery and swimming.

16. Zichu

Zichu New Member

Name: Jamie

Race: No racing for me.

Goals: Only went for one ride and want to get into it.

Daily Training: I go jogging on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Usually go for a long walk on the weekend. Had a ride on the weekend and it was great. Will hopefully make bike riding a part of my life as I enjoyed it even though I was aching afterwards.

We moved last year, took a bit of time to get used to where we were living so we never really had a look around. The more me and my family go out the more places I can go for when I want to go riding. I have a few places I want to ride. It's only like half a mile of road which isn't too busy and then I can go off-road where people ride, walk, etc. There are also some woodlands with a long track, so I can hopefully mix it up a bit. I don't think I will go on the main road, especially on the dual carriage way's and such. Don't think I would have it in me to go up hill while people are driving at like 70MPH+.

I have a few questions for some of you riders, I like listening to a lot of music. I usually listen to it when jogging if I'm on my own and the music I listen to really helps me push myself that extra bit each time I would normally go out for a jog. I would only listen to music on a ride on my own, wouldn't do it when I am with other people. Once I am off-road I was planning on listening to it, heard that some people prefer to not listen to music when riding on roads. I was looking for some wireless earphones, I was going to use my wired ones on the weekend, but it was going to be a pain keeping them in and the wires all getting tangled so I didn't bother with them. I'm also not sure if a lot of you wear helmets, my first ride I didn't wear a helmet, I have one, but I feel I would look a little silly with one on. Not sure why. Because I might be wearing a helmet I didn't want to get some headphones and not being able to wear them with a helmet on. I have a Galaxy S2 so bluetooth earphones would be good. Nothing that wraps around the ears, they're quite uncomfortable.

I was also wondering if anyone uses a Cycling Computer? I don't really have anything to keep track of how many miles or kilometers I have ridden, how fast I am going and even how many calories I have burnt (yes I am planning on trying to burn off some of the fat that I'm holding on to...), I was looking at the Polar CS100N. It comes with the Holder which attaches to the bike and a HRM chest strap. I read from a few people on various sites that the CS100 is a good Cycling Computer for new riders.

17. RusBiker1989

RusBiker1989 New Member

Name: Denis
    Racing: None
    Mountain Biking: Since 2009
    Daily Training: Weight Lifting and Jogging

18. crazyb1

crazyb1 New Member

Name:Ben
    Racing: Starting this summer with my first USAC race in June
    Goals: To take cycling from a recreational level to a competitive level.
    Training: Right now (winter): Weight training roughly around 65% of my max. 5 minute high cadence on trainer then 15 min. of above 200 watts.and above 175 bpm
    Summer: Ride about 150 miles a week. No weight training.

I personally don't use any MP3 players just because I ride road and I don't want to get hit. I actually feel really nervous when I don't know when a car is coming. For computers I use a cheap Bontrager trip 1 and then get a hrm wrist watch to see your heart rate and cals. I was looking at the same computer as Jamie because I hate looking at my wrist all the time, and having info on two different devices.

19. medic352

medic352 New Member

Name: Will
    Racing: Training for my first race
    Goals: To complete a 150 mile charity ride in October and complete the STP in 2013
    Training: Slowly increasing my weekly milage on my old bike(riding 3 times a week). Will get more serious when I get my new bike next month.

20. chair

chair New Member

Name: John
    Goals: To ride a bike all over my rural area(about a 30-40 mile radius), and for the exercise. A long term goal would be to commute to and from work.

I've been wanting to get into cycling for a while now and finally have the money to do so!