Newbie Intro Thread

Name : Brandon
Bike: Trek 5200 Carbon w/ Campy Record group
Races: None and no desire to race.
Goals: Increase fitenss, lose weight, extend my life and enjoy this planet
Training: 3-4 rides per week between 14 and 22 miles of lumpy roads.
Avg speed: 15-16 mph solo

Name: Brian Doosey
Location Cherry Hill, NJ
Race? No, but once I get better, I aspire to compete in local races, and eventually even larger races.
Goals? After watching this year's Tour de France (2009), I have become almost infatuated with the sport. Today was my very first day with this mind-set, so for now I hope to get into better shape, and saddle up with proper equipment.
Bike? Globe Vienna 2 : Hybrid, I know, but I am not very wealthy, so I can't buy a road bike yet - Nor do I want to until I can really use it properly: Once I am in better shape.
Daily Training:Well, today was my first ride with this dedicated mind-set, and I am not really sure what I did today, but I will try and find out and build up from there. Most likely I did about 8 miles. It will be more by the end of August. I will keep you all posted on my progress. :)

Name : Daniel *call me Dan or Dig
Bike: Bianchi Premio *saving up for a Motobecane Outcast 29
Goals: Bike to school everyday when school starts. Bike everyday.

Name: Drew
Bike: Giant OCR 2
Team: Baddlands Racing Team
Races: Yes, the Twilight Series
Longest Ride: 87 miles

Name: James Coal

Racing: None, just started.

Bike: used but very nice Specialized S-Works E5 2006 (silver ano paint)

Training: Mostly just clocking up kilometers whenever my friends want to, and whenever I have time.

Longest ride: 53km

Average speed: 20km/h

Goals: Stop getting dropped by my friends who have been riding much longer....:mad:

Racing: not yet, but I will next year.
Training: 10 miles on weekdays to school. Usually a 50+ mile ride on Saturdays and a short 30 mile ride on Sundays.
Longest Ride: 110 miles
Average Speed: 16-17 for a mountainous ride and 18-20 for a flat ride.
Height and weight: 5'6" and 115 pounds.

Name: Rodrigo
Bike: coming soon...:)
Racing: hopefully, once I get in better shape.
Training: I would like to ride every other day, because of school.
Goals: Lose weight. Get fit. Make friends. Have FUN.
:cool:

Name: David. S. Hallen.

Racing: None yet.

Training: 20-30 miles a day.

Bike: 20+ year old Fuji road bike.

Average speed: 20-25 mph.

Longest ride: around 65 miles, a little more as I had to take a long-cut because of construction.

Ash McVicar
16 (17 in 2 months)
brand new
avg speed approx 20 mph but just started training due to getting a trainer because of school :S looking forward to seeing improvements.
longest ride 90 miles
goals: havnt a clue try win a couple races in my first season

Name: Justin

Location: Fort Worth, TX (Off to bootcamp in december then goose creek, SC in february

Racing: None (just started)

Bike: 1986 Bridgestone 450

Training: Everyday

Longest Ride: 30 mile alley cat on a track bike

Goal: Do a century

Hey.

My name is Guy, 17 y/o, male from South Africa.
I have just recently started cycling myself but have been intersted and a follower of international racing(tdf, giro, vuelta, ect...) since around 2005.

I am on the quest to purchasing my own bike, as I hope to do races and get involved in this scene as soon as possible.

At the moment I am riding 4x30-45mins a week just to get started and not over-do it.

Cheers.

Name:Steven Ewing
Location Manchester UK
Race? No
Goals? Get cycling
Daily Training: non for cycling so far though I do weights and lots of running for lacrosse

Hi everyone just a newbie, looking forward to have lots of friends here, I am 30 years of age I am into writing, I love to write & blog, read novels & to get along with my friends. I am also into mountain biking, archery and swimming.

Name: Jamie

Race: No racing for me.

Goals: Only went for one ride and want to get into it.

Daily Training: I go jogging on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Usually go for a long walk on the weekend. Had a ride on the weekend and it was great. Will hopefully make bike riding a part of my life as I enjoyed it even though I was aching afterwards.

We moved last year, took a bit of time to get used to where we were living so we never really had a look around. The more me and my family go out the more places I can go for when I want to go riding. I have a few places I want to ride. It's only like half a mile of road which isn't too busy and then I can go off-road where people ride, walk, etc. There are also some woodlands with a long track, so I can hopefully mix it up a bit. I don't think I will go on the main road, especially on the dual carriage way's and such. Don't think I would have it in me to go up hill while people are driving at like 70MPH+.

I have a few questions for some of you riders, I like listening to a lot of music. I usually listen to it when jogging if I'm on my own and the music I listen to really helps me push myself that extra bit each time I would normally go out for a jog. I would only listen to music on a ride on my own, wouldn't do it when I am with other people. Once I am off-road I was planning on listening to it, heard that some people prefer to not listen to music when riding on roads. I was looking for some wireless earphones, I was going to use my wired ones on the weekend, but it was going to be a pain keeping them in and the wires all getting tangled so I didn't bother with them. I'm also not sure if a lot of you wear helmets, my first ride I didn't wear a helmet, I have one, but I feel I would look a little silly with one on. Not sure why. Because I might be wearing a helmet I didn't want to get some headphones and not being able to wear them with a helmet on. I have a Galaxy S2 so bluetooth earphones would be good. Nothing that wraps around the ears, they're quite uncomfortable.

I was also wondering if anyone uses a Cycling Computer? I don't really have anything to keep track of how many miles or kilometers I have ridden, how fast I am going and even how many calories I have burnt (yes I am planning on trying to burn off some of the fat that I'm holding on to...), I was looking at the Polar CS100N. It comes with the Holder which attaches to the bike and a HRM chest strap. I read from a few people on various sites that the CS100 is a good Cycling Computer for new riders.

Name: Denis
Racing: None
Mountain Biking: Since 2009
Daily Training: Weight Lifting and Jogging

Name:Ben
Racing: Starting this summer with my first USAC race in June
Goals: To take cycling from a recreational level to a competitive level.
Training: Right now (winter): Weight training roughly around 65% of my max. 5 minute high cadence on trainer then 15 min. of above 200 watts.and above 175 bpm
Summer: Ride about 150 miles a week. No weight training.

I personally don't use any MP3 players just because I ride road and I don't want to get hit. I actually feel really nervous when I don't know when a car is coming. For computers I use a cheap Bontrager trip 1 and then get a hrm wrist watch to see your heart rate and cals. I was looking at the same computer as Jamie because I hate looking at my wrist all the time, and having info on two different devices.

Name: Will
Racing: Training for my first race
Goals: To complete a 150 mile charity ride in October and complete the STP in 2013
Training: Slowly increasing my weekly milage on my old bike(riding 3 times a week). Will get more serious when I get my new bike next month.

Name: John
Goals: To ride a bike all over my rural area(about a 30-40 mile radius), and for the exercise. A long term goal would be to commute to and from work.

I've been wanting to get into cycling for a while now and finally have the money to do so!